Fine, whatever.

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
From LA Weekly 7/17/02

sm35slush1.jpg
Photo by Vin Casey
Dressed in black and white, DAME DARCY and VICTOR CRETELLA (pictured) virtually disappeared into their room, punningly called "Gem in Eye."

Maddog

Registered
Reaction score
See a resemblance?

VictorEdwardCretellaIII.jpg
spacer.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Victor Edward Cretella, III [/FONT]

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Just received an email from Judge JOHN ADDISON HOWARD, a member of the Ethics Committee for the Maryland Bar Association. Obviously, he's forgotten he's a member of that group and responded thusly:

"Please do not write to me again except about a matter officially before this court. Regardless of the merits of your contentions, I am neither responsible for, charged with nor capable of pursuing investigations into matters such as you have written to me about."

I hope other Ethics Committee members are more aware of how they conduct themselves.

You know, Dave, in Pennsylvania (when dealing with a real estate agent) the 'board of ethics' is generally a waste of time. If you want to apply the screws fast and furious you simply bypass and go straight to the real estate licensing board. Not many people outside the trade know this.

It might not apply in other states, especially regarding lawyers, but there are usually alternate avenues of recourse that aren't controlled by the big dues collecting/paying group that fronts so many 'ethics' boards.

Tina

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Wouldn't they first have to convince...

I'll let you know if I'm going to need anything. I'm consulting with cousel (one who knows the PA story well, BTW) in the near future. Hopefully with little fuss, but it may take some dough.

I hate even asking, but I'm just not financially able to deal with anything long and drawn out. We'll see how it goes.

Thank you guys SO MUCH for your support. It means the world.

Now if I could only get rid of the headache I've had since last night, and get back my concentration.

...a judge that there is even grounds for a trial? All you have to do is hand over a pile of information printed from the web, not to mention mainstream presses like Washington Post, throw in some samples of the sting books and it is very likely any court would waste time on this.

Does PA REALLY want national news outlets across North America and maybe even the U.K. carrying this story? Reiterating Miranda's very shady past? Drawing attention to the (low to non-existent) quality of many PA books?

Not likely, but if you need any $ just ask.

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
To: [email protected]
Date: February 16, 2007

(ed note: that's Maryland State Bar Association)

Please advise me of the proper procedure for filing a grievance against a member of the Maryland Bar.

Thank you,

XXX

MMo

Registered
Reaction score

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Dave, you need to reach the right folks. It's the Maryland Supreme Court that deals with attorney ethical violations within the context of the Code of Professional Conduct. If I were in your place, I would use the link KCH offers, and specifically mention that YOU BELIEVE said attorney (oh, and cite his attorney registration number. That's pretty easy to find and helps them identify him.) has knowingly engaged in professional misconduct, or reasonably should have known that he has violated the spirit (and possibly the letter of) the Code, as follows (emphasis in the various sections are mine: )

Section [6] of the Preamble, which states:

[6] As a public citizen, a lawyer should seek improvement of the law, access to the legal system, the administration of justice and the quality of service rendered by the legal profession. As a member of a learned profession, a lawyer should cultivate knowledge of the law beyond its use for clients, employ that knowledge in reform of the law and work to strengthen legal education. In addition, a lawyer should further the public’s understanding of and confidence in the rule of law and the justice system because legal institutions in a constitutional democracy depend on popular participation and support to maintain their authority. A lawyer should be mindful of deficiencies in the administration of justice and of the fact that the poor, and sometimes persons who are not poor, cannot afford adequate legal assistance. Therefore, all lawyers should devote professional time and resources and use civic influence to ensure equal access to our system of justice for all those who because of economic or social barriers cannot afford or secure adequate legal counsel. A lawyer should aid the legal profession in pursuing these objectives and should help the bar regulate itself in the public interest.

And Section 3.4(e), which states:

(e) in trial, allude to any matter that the lawyer does not reasonably believe is relevant or that will not be supported by admissible evidence, assert personal knowledge of facts in issue except when testifying as a witness, or state a personal opinion as to the justness of a cause, the credibility of a witness, the culpability of a civil litigant or the guilt or innocence of an accused; or

It's a tenuous connection, but since a suit has been threatened where the suit may be groundless or not be supported by the facts, it quite possibly would stand.

Section 4.4(a), which states:

Rule 4.4 Respect for Rights of Third Persons
(a) In representing a client, a lawyer shall not use means that have no substantial purpose other than to embarrass, delay, or burden a third person, or use methods of obtaining evidence that violate the legal rights of such a person.

Rule 8.4(a) and (c), as follows:

Rule 8.4 Misconduct
It is professional misconduct for a lawyer to:

(a) violate or attempt to violate the Maryland Lawyers’ Rules of Professional Conduct, knowingly assist or induce another to do so, or do so through the acts of another;

(c) engage in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation;

The copy of the Code I'm citing is from the Cornell University website. I'll try to find the direct Maryland link to make sure none of the law has changed.

ETA: Never mind about the changes to the Code I mentioned earlier. They were just regarding trust accounts and safekeeping of funds.

ETA#2: Okay, LexisNexis is the site chosen to hold the official rules for Maryland. The link is here. But you have to have cookies fully enabled to load it and it's in frames, so I don't know for certain that this link will work to get you to the exact right spot. The location of the Code is under "Maryland Rules" and it's the second Appendix, "The Maryland Lawyers' Rules of Professional Conduct."

Last edited:

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
Why not just go to the ACLU and claim that PA is trying to muzzle your right to free speech? Or drag the whole thing out in public with your local news network and go from there?

I would also e-mail that judge back and request that he direct you to the proper office for such complaints. Since YOU pay HIS salary, he should do that much.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Please, folks - I'm as upset as the rest of you but PLEASE do NOT make any kind of statement that Cretella or his cronies could misconstrue. If I see them, I'll delete them out of hand. OK? Thanks.

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, Christine. I'll be willing to contribute if it does come down to needing a legal defense fund.

Count me in too.

I detest those shysters with an unhealthy passion.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Why not just go to the ACLU and claim that PA is trying to muzzle your right to free speech? Or drag the whole thing out in public with your local news network and go from there?

I would also e-mail that judge back and request that he direct you to the proper office for such complaints. Since YOU pay HIS salary, he should do that much.

PA isn't a government entity. It can try all manner of things to shut someone up, but that's got nothing to do with Free Speech.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to read through the entire thread, and Christine, we're all behind you. We won't let PA win...

Where can I donate? :)

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
It breaks my heart to know that you are having to go thru this stress and strain.

:Hug2:

You have tons of support and resources here~

Keep us updated as you can, Christine, and know that you're in our thoughts and prayers.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If things progress from this point, Christine, I think I know of a blogger (and I think you do, too) who can help spread the word about what they're doing. Let's just say she's written about PA more than a couple of times.

Obviously, I can't donate money, but good luck. They can't make all of us be quiet.

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
Let me know if you need funding as well. PA ticks me off in a multitude of ways.

MMo

Registered
Reaction score
To: [email protected]
Date: February 16, 2007

(ed note: that's Maryland State Bar Association)

Please advise me of the proper procedure for filing a grievance against a member of the Maryland Bar.

Thank you,

XXX

I got this response today:

The Maryland State Bar Association does NOT handle complaints against
lawyers. You need to contact the Attorney Grievance Commission at 100
Community Place, S3301, Crownsville, MD 21032, 410-514-7051. They are
responsible for all complaints against lawyers licensed to practice in
Maryland.

You can also get information at their website at
http://www.courts.state.md.us/attygrievance/index.html

Information on disciplinary actions against attorneys can be found at
http://www.courts.state.md.us/attygrievance/sanctions.html

martand

Registered
Reaction score
VictorEdwardCretellaIII.jpg
spacer.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Victor Edward Cretella, III News[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Victor Cretella has just settled a gender discrimination case against a major news network brought by a producer of internet news and is preparing another discrimination case for a co-anchor for another media company. This follows his successful settlements in hotly contested cases that all ended this year with favorable resolutions in each of the foloowing areas: publishing contracts; publishing practices; construction disputes (commercial and home construction); contracts between businesses; financial disputes; personal torts; employment disputes; and land use disputes.[/FONT]

This really pisses me off. Don't worry, Christine. They won't win!

I dont really know what all of this is about. But I sure found this post hillarious.
Christine N.~ I dont mean to offend. Good luck with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving