Fine, whatever.

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Christine, I'm sorry you're going through this.

While everyone here knows that PA doesn't have a leg to stand on and that they'd never willingly step foot in a courtroom, your husband most likely doesn't know any of this. I hope you get a legal opinion soon to ease your husband's mind so you can come on back.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Christine: it isn't libel if its true, thus, you've done nothing they can touch you over.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Do what you have to do Christine. This really makes me mad. Why her? Why not Uncle Jim or someone else here? This is still confusing me to no end. But Christine, if you need money help for a lawyer please post it up on the board here so we will know where to send it. Stay strong...:Hug2:
She's the only one in the group that does NOT have a signed contract with PA, so they may be counting on that to prove she is needlessly hostile toward them. That's all I can come up with--???

Hang in there, Sweetie!

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
She's the only one in the group that does NOT have a signed contract with PA, so they may be counting on that to prove she is needlessly hostile toward them. That's all I can come up with--???

Hang in there, Sweetie!

I rather doubt that. Uncle Jim never signed a contract with them either. I would tend to agree with Bartholomew, in that they're picking on Christine because they think they can intimidate her into silence with ease.

I'm sure Christine will get the answers she needs from her lawyer. In the meantime, I hope Christine is able to calm down and think clearly. One thing that will definitely work against anyone in such a fight as this, is panic.

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Vic, has it ever entered your mind that this pretty much proves that PA is a scam? Can anyone imagine Random House's lawyers sending out letters because, "Oh no, someone is saying mean things about us on the internet!" The truth getting out must really be cutting into PA's profits.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
I think the reasons behind PA targeting Christine are clear.

They wouldn't want to target a ex-PA author. That person might have proof in email and otherwise about PA's shady business. An ex-PA author in court would scare the carp out of them.

They also wouldn't target someone like Uncle Jim, or Victoria. They wouldn't scare. They wouldn't stop.

So like a typical bully, they picked on someone who they think will be afraid. Because bullies don't want to fight, they want to intimidate. I'm sure they think that we will all stop our posting and run for cover. We have to make sure that doesn't happen!

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have never had anything to do with PA..... This is totally crazy!!

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't there some kind of legal defense fund that people were setting up so people could afford to take PA to arbitration? Is there any money in it that could go to her defense? Where do I sign up to donate?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'll let you know if I'm going to need anything. I'm consulting with cousel (one who knows the PA story well, BTW) in the near future. Hopefully with little fuss, but it may take some dough.

I hate even asking, but I'm just not financially able to deal with anything long and drawn out. We'll see how it goes.

Thank you guys SO MUCH for your support. It means the world.

Now if I could only get rid of the headache I've had since last night, and get back my concentration.

Last edited:

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
PublishAmerica knows that SFWA has pretty deep pockets and lawyer(s) on retainer.

And Writer Beware folks are protected, as are SFWA Officers, from being personally sued.

PublishAmerica is a scam.

PublishAmerica doesn't have the guts to go up against Writer Beware.

PublishAmerica is afraid of us because we have the FACTS and the DOCUMENTATION to hurt them in court.

Victor Cretella has already had his hiney booted by WB's counsel before, when he dared make any moves towards us.

Christine, stay in touch. My email address is [email protected]

Best.

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Just when you thought Publish America couldnt get any scummier...

Last edited:

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, Christine. We got your back! Hmm, I wonder if we could sign a petition on how we all agree PA is a scam. How could the courts let PA win with a petition like that!?

Hopefully you don't stray away from here for too long. Keep us posted!

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Christine, I've been following this since the last thread, and I just want to tell you that there ARE people out there who have financial resources and who are willing to help.

Please don't give up.

This really steams me up, and it takes a lot to do that. One letter, I was laughing. This is downright evil.

Do you hear me, PA? You're a bunch of evil, scamming scumbags, and I wish you all the worst.

Go ahead. Sue me. You'll be taking on three lawyers.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, Christine. Do what you have to do for your sanity. Like others have said upthread, your family comes first.

One thing is certain; you are not the only person who thinks PA operates in an unethical fashion. If this Vic character thinks an attempt to bully one person into silence is going to help PA, he is deluding himself. For every person PA manages to intimidate, there are ten who will step up in their place.

Like poking a hornet's nest, all they've done by threatening Christine is harden the resolve of those who want PA to be honest about how they do business. Not too bright, imho, but I'm hardly surprised.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
I'm not exactly sure what the legal definition is for "scam," therefore I won't employ that term. However, as one of PA's former authors - one whose name was used repeatedly in their standard e-mails as an example of a "celebrity in the making" - I'm going on the record as stating that they are a miserable deal for authors. The books cost about three times what they should; the PA reputation is so poor that it is almost impossible to get anyone to review the book or to get it into a library; the lack of discount makes it virtually impossible to work with bookstores.

So - is this traditional publishing? Or is it a scam?

Last edited:

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Former employee exposes Publish America from the inside out.

I just posted a link in the PA Employees thread and the Never Ending thread. It is a link to a blog where a former employee of Publish America talks about their experiences in the acquisitions department, about editing, and royalty checks. After I read it my coffee went sour and my stomach churned.

Something tells me PA will be trying to find out who this person is and fast. Perhaps you could email them or chat in that blog, Christine. It is the first time this person has spoken out in public about this scumbag, scamming, lowest of the low company.

Perhaps other employees will step out, start a dialogue about their experiences with PA, and expose this monster from the inside out.

Warning: You may need a bucket or airsick bag after reading this blog.

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/008505.html#164708

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The word above should be "pockets" instead of "politics."
Paging Dr. Freud.... :ROFL:

Seriously, though: Christine, you've got nothing to worry about. I doubt I have any info the pros don't, but I'm here if you need another ear to bend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Book