Finding the Best Addresses?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

DKM

in an interstitial space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dkmiddle.wordpress.com
I want to vet my script, but want to take a different approach from the traditional WGA-Agencies contacts. They mean well, but too often are flooded with queries, discarding many screenplays and queries, in some cases too many.

I’ve been reading stories of sought after directors, those who have an indy-film or two already behind them. The New Yorker, Rolling Stone and other magazines are a good source for the up-and-coming directors. The trouble is in trying to find their addresses--where I can send my script to. I don’t blame them for not wanting to give out their addresses, obviously too much material will arrive. Plus, digging further, I’ve often found that these directors don’t have production company up and running yet--where I could send a screenplay to. I’d like to know—what are the ideal approaches, legitimate, best ways for contacting indy directors?

ChaseJxyz

Writes birds and bird accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
You can try reaching out to them on Twitter, but what do you have that makes you different from everyone else? Do you have real world experience on the type of story you're trying to sell? Like did you work on the Deepwater Horizon when all that went down? Are you actually a navy seal with over 300 confirmed kills? Did you write for a short movie that has millions of views on YouTube?

Without that sort of hook to differentiate you from everyone else, finding these alternate ways to contact directors just sounds like a new, unique way for your manuscript to be thrown into the trash.

Reactions: Maryn

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
This is a shot in the dark, as is everything, you might try https://blcklst.com/ if you haven't already visited. Also sign up to https://www.inktip.com/ to get a weekly email listing producer script wants, and more. I have no personal success experience with either site, but many screenwriters have reported finding a home for their screenplay and/or finding representation. Read what they offer and see if it suits you. While you're waiting, finish that novel adaptation of your screenplay and start querying agents and publishers.

Reactions: Maryn

abwriter10

Registered
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Virtual Pitchfest? You pay a certain price to one of their listed studio execs/agents/managers to assure a read by them.

My question is why would established studios/agents/managers need to resort to using VPF? Can't they get enough scripts on their own? I'm assuming they get a cut of that payment but I don't think they'll get rich from them.

ChaseJxyz

Writes birds and bird accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
What even is "a read?" If I have to spend 2 minutes looking at someone's document for, say, $500, I'd do it! There's probably no way to actually track/prove they even looked, so I'd just say I'd did and pocket that money! Or I'd make an intern do it and report back to me in an email that I'll never read.

Making a show or movie is an investment, and all investments have risks. Even producing a pilot, which many never see the light of day, costs money and is risky. That's why Hollywood loves cheap to make shows like reality tv or things that are guaranteed viewers, like every Hallmark Christmas or horse girl movie ever. It's smart to broaden your revenue streams, and if separating a naive screenwriter from their money is one of them, well, why not?

It's also entirely possible that the studios listed aren't actually the studios as the business entity that are part of this. Pete Paramount, son of Peter Paramount, CEO of Paramount Studios, might want some extra money to pay off his third yacht. So he says "yeah if this is good I'll totally show it to my dad" to VPF, and then VPF gets to list Paramount Studios on their website, despite not actually having any sort of agreement with the business entity.

Featured Book