Final Draft

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Recently I needed screenwriting software to adapt a novel. I tried all the free & cheaper ones, resisting the hype surrounding Final Draft.

Finally I bought it for $200, more than I liked. But I'm glad I did. There are a couple of features I'd like added, but overall it makes writing so much easier. I feel now that I've committed to screenwriting, I might as well spend my money now to save time and money later.It makes writing so much easier.

Here's a link to it.

Reactions: MaeZe

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I recently started screenwriting and I've been using Writer Duet. It only lets you write up to three projects for free (I think), but it's a nice way to practice and see if I want to later invest in something like Final Draft.

Did you try out Writer Duet? If so, did you find Final Draft a better option? I know it's the Big One that everyone talks about, but I'm not sure if I am ready to make that kind of investment.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Final Draft is pretty much the industry standard. And when you finish a script, you can cast your completed FDR document out of Final Draft format and into Notebook as a TXT document. Being able to convert from FDR to TXT allows you to email ia completed script to people who don't have Final Draft, and still lets them open the document to be able to read it in its finished and correctly formatted state.

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry, but I was in error here. The guys below (see below) are correct. TXT is how I store it, and PDF is how I send it, (It's been way too long since I queried!)

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
No need to write to a text file, and not a good idea anyway. Formatting will be screwed up.

What works is to export the manuscript to PDF, then print that. It will come out properly formatted.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Exporting as formatted text does preserve the formatting though, if you have that need.

If anyone wants to read your script they'll probably be happy with your exporting and sending a PDF instead.