Final annual update

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

lorna_w

grump
Registered
Reaction score
I'm feeling done with being a hard-working author-publisher.

The short reason is: burnout. I'm not entirely fried, but I've slowed down, and I'm fairly sure I no longer want to do all the non-fun parts (only first drafts are fun, and none of the administrative/business work is at all fun), and yet I'm okay with that, both in terms of money and in terms of ego rewards. I am lucky (or good or smart some say, though I can't swear which it is, so I'll stick with lucky) at having jumped on a natural, word-of-mouth-driven best-seller moment to keep it going for an additional seven years by working my tail off and keeping the Amazon algorithms fed. So I got my moment in the sun, and I'm grateful and relieved, after a lifetime of longing for the writing "dream came true." If the dream had nightmare qualities, I'm sure I'm not the first writer/actor/musician to notice that.

And that's good news for you, because now there's room for one of you to become a 50K (or better) author for a half-dozen years. Yay for the hard working one of you who takes my place! From the bottom of my heart, I wish you well. Here's the gilded hemorrhoid cushion that you get in lieu of a crown. Sorry I spilled a beer on it.

Last edited:

Featured Book