Fiction Outlines ?

ambianc

Registered
Reaction score
So I was at Yallwest Book Festival a few weeks ago and a new YA author was talking about how she recently secured a deal by only submitting an outline and a query letter. And I'm so curious to hear everyone's opinions on this. Does this happen more frequently with the rise of social media? Because from my understanding, it was only nonfiction that accepted outline proposals and from what she told us, it's young adult fiction.

P.S. don't shoot the messenger, just wanting to hear everyone's opinions and have a discussion :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
There's a note about this in Second Circle of Hell from earlier today. Same author?

ambianc

Registered
Reaction score
There's a note about this in Second Circle of Hell from earlier today. Same author?
Uh oh no, I didn't see the note! I can't find it either. Is the author in the group? If so I'll take the question down. My intense curiosity gets the best of me sometimes 😬

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I was at Yallwest Book Festival a few weeks ago and a new YA author was talking about how she recently secured a deal by only submitting an outline and a query letter. And I'm so curious to hear everyone's opinions on this. Does this happen more frequently with the rise of social media? Because from my understanding, it was only nonfiction that accepted outline proposals and from what she told us, it's young adult fiction.

P.S. don't shoot the messenger, just wanting to hear everyone's opinions and have a discussion :)
If it's Raggy, they're an established author with an agent and a book recently released, and their agent is offering to pitch their current novel to editors using the synopsis while Raggy finishes the last of their edits on the manuscript.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
That was who I was thinking about and wondering if Raggy was at Yallwest. Obviously I have no idea. :) I've never heard of it before.

ambianc

Registered
Reaction score
If it's Raggy, they're an established author with an agent and a book recently released, and their agent is offering to pitch their current novel to editors using the synopsis while Raggy finishes the last of their edits on the manuscript.
Oh its most definitely not Raggy! This is a very very new author who is not established. It's her first book ever, which is why I was surprised it was picked up by just an outline. Because I'd get it if it was an established author. That makes complete sense.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh its most definitely not Raggy! This is a very very new author who is not established. It's her first book ever, which is why I was surprised it was picked up by just an outline. Because I'd get it if it was an established author. That makes complete sense.
I too am very surprised, unless this author's last name is something like Kardashian

Reactions: ChaseJxyz

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
And I see that this was in Santa Monica, so yeah, no. Not Raggy. I'm surprised I had not heard of the festival. I hope it was fun!

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz

ambianc

Registered
Reaction score
Okay I have done some google-ing and have discovered she blogs and has a YouTube page. Unfortunately she is not a Kardashian. And the blog doesn't seem to be super popular but I'm guessing it's because of her blog that she got the deal. 🤷‍♀️