FF 1/14/07 The Photograph

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Recycling

With deliberation and malice aforethought, Janice tore Jason’s most prized possession into thin strips. She loved feeling the paper give in to her assault on it; the initial resistance followed by compliance. How quickly something so valuable could be reduced to almost nothing.

When she finished with the paper, she put all the pieces into her blender, the one she and Jason got as a wedding gift from Janice’s uncle. Funny, but she already thought of it as her blender. Already sorting in her mind the stuff that was previously “theirs.” Not that long ago, either—was it only a day since Jason’s old girlfriend called?

Funny, Janice thought, how something that someone considered so valuable can be gone in just a flash. Like her marriage, for instance. Or the photograph she’d just torn to bits.

Janice added some water and some Elmer’s glue on top of the ex-photo and turned on the blender. She felt like her mind was whirling at about the same speed. “What’s black and white and read all over?” she said aloud. And giggled. Must be the smell of the glue, she thought, making her feel like she was ten years old again. And then she started to weep, so she caught a few of the tears with her tissue and put that into the blender, too.

Strangely enough, she didn’t feel guilty for what she was doing. After all, he was the one who trashed what was most valuable to her, didn’t he? What was a signed photo of Babe Ruth worth, after all, when it came to someone’s whole life? And he was going to get it back, just not in its original form. Again, she realized, it was what he’d done to her—she would never be the same again, either.

Janice stopped the blender and inspected the contents; she was satisfied that there was nothing recognizable left. She rechecked the stopper in her sink, and dumped all of it, added more water and a bit of food coloring to diminish the gloom of the gray color. This is a celebration, she tried to remind herself, and chose red because it reminded herself of the joke she thought of just a few minutes ago.

Swishing the water with her hands, then dipping a piece of old pantyhose stretched on a metal clothes hanger into the water. It was a bit like panning for gold. Really, it was, Janice thought. This picture was probably worth quite a bit more, per pound. Now it was worth nothing, except to her.

Janice caught as much of the pulp as she could onto the pantyhose, and she carefully placed the whole thing on the top of the refrigerator to dry. Oh, she felt antsy, again like a kid. Like waiting for the first day of school, when you check and recheck your backpack for your pencils and paper and stickers, and you change your mind about what to wear at least a dozen times before the day really arrives. It was going to take a day or two, at least, for her little art project to be ready. But that was okay. Jason was going to be gone for another three days with Amber. Janice had heard their plans when she picked up the phone to order Chinese for supper. Didn’t need to ask Jason what he wanted; she already knew that he would tell her Number 17. And that’s how Janice found out why Jason was really on the road so much.

She knew that Jason was going to deny everything. And then he’d turn it into, “It’s all your fault I did it, Janice.” But had already decided she wasn’t going to talk to him anymore, except through her attorney. Already had one lined up, actually.

Well, he was going to get one last personal communication from Janice—her letter to him written on her special stationery, created just for the occasion. She had already begun to remake herself, just like she did the photograph.

NickDangr

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my I can feel her anger. Nicely done!

I like Ex-Photo lol. You turned the photo into stationery?

You came up with that little revenge in 90 minutes. I'll never cross ya.

<wink>

I like her character and the ongoing self-analysis she does. Well done!

Ben/ND

Flu

Registered
Reaction score
"I'll never cross ya" <-- I second that, heheh.

Good idea, good execution. Fun stuff. Very human character. Gave me a nice "you go, girl!" feeling. And I'm a guy, so... heheh.

-Johan

Mod35tBabe

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was a very appropriate revenge - well done shwebb

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely a good piece, I liked it and you conveyed the anger so perfectly, it was like the start of a good novel! Beautifully done Shwebb! :D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This is good, I like the paper-making thing too. One thing I kept looking for, but may have somehow missed, is how will Jason knows this note is his former authographed pic of Babe Ruth (other than she says so on the note)? I think it needs something more, like she'll put her note back in the frame to put back on the fireplace mantel. And if she wants to be even more vindictive, he can't miss the frame on the mantel when he walks in, because it will be the only thing left in the house that's not nailed down.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Re-making herself sums it up. The deliberateness of every action comes through, even as she's thinking whimsically on the surface (the joke & food coloring). {shiver}, not just for the revenge but what she's doing to herself.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what the quality of stationery paper made from a photograph would be like. "Gritty" comes to mind. ;) I like everything except the pantyhose. lol
I always used window screening when I made paper...but I suppose it'd work your way.

Great fun, Shelly. loved it.

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much, you guys, for the encouraging comments and the suggestions. I almost thought of using screen for the paper-making, Peter, but then I wondered how she would have gotten hold of some. And I knew she would have pantyhose! (My kids love watching "The Best of Beakman's World" dvd over and over, and it details how to make paper. So the directions are burned into my mind. Incidentally, he does use pantyhose.)

I wonder, too, how paper made of a photo would hold together. It would be cool for her to perhaps throw other stuff into it, besides the tissue containing her tears. And yeah--I don't know how she would let him know. Or she might just let him figure out on his own what happened to his photo. Legally, it might be better for her to play dumb about it. In a way, it doesn't feel like revenge for me, it feels more like she identifies with the photo and the process was cathartic. It might be enough for her.

This experience was wonderful! I feel like my mind has been stretched in a good way, and I am amazed at myself for creating a character that feels real to me. In 90 minutes! Okay, I haven't written much fiction, despite having an idea folder for it in my word processing program. And now I have a little gem of an idea.

Thanks so much for having the FF!

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Full crit as promised :)

I know this was written under the constraints of the flash fiction challenge - but I'm going to treat it like any short story.

Of course all the comments are my opinion only - feel free to disagree.

I love the concept of this piece - it's a snapshot from a moment in time and I think it works well.

I think it could be tightened up a little, and I've done a line by line edit since that's the easiest way I know to get my ideas across. :)

Recycling

With deliberation and malice aforethought (love this opening phrase), Janice tore Jason’s most prized possession into thin strips (but you have two lots of alliteration in the second half of the sentence - Janice and Jason and Prized Possession - you could lose one of the J's without any heartache). She loved feeling the paper give in (submit? crumple under? - "give in" seems slightly weak to me and I want punchy words and phrases to match Janice's mood) to her assault on it; the initial resistance followed by compliance. How quickly something so valuable could be reduced to almost nothing. (Move everything in italics to next but one paragraph - where mentioned.)

When she finished with the paper, she put all She fed the pieces into her blender, the one she and Jason got as a wedding gift from Janice’s uncle. Funny, but she already thought of it as her blender. Already sorting in her mind the stuff that was previously “theirs.” Not that long ago, either—was it only a day since Jason’s old girlfriend called?

Funny, Janice thought, how something that someone considered so valuable can be gone in just a flash (You've used a very similar phrase in the previous-but-one paragraph. It's a good, strong phrase, but I think it would be better here - I think that wording is stronger - fewer qualifying words). Like her marriage, for instance. Or the photograph she’d just torn to bits. (Yup - fantastic)

Janice added some water and some Elmer’s glue on top of (over? - fewer words and punchier, I think) the now ex-photo and turned on the blender. She felt like her mind was whirling at about the same speed. “What’s black and white and read all over?” she said aloud. And giggled. Must be the smell of the glue, she thought, making her feel like she was ten years old again (you go directly from her thoughts to a third person perspective - I think it interrupts the flow - could you put it all as thought?). And then (Can you live without the "And then?" I'm not sure, but I think I'd prefer it with a stronger "She" at the start of the sentence - although it does make sense in the context) she started to weep, so she caught a few of the tears with her tissue and put that into the blender, too.

Strangely enough, I wonder if this would be better at the end of the sentence - or as another sentence - simply "Strange" she didn’t feel guilty for what she was doing. After all, he was the one who trashed what was most valuable to her, didn’t he? What was a signed photo of Babe Ruth worth, after all, when it came (in comparison?) to someone’s whole life? And he was going to get it back, just not in its original form. Again, she realized, it was what he’d done to her—she would never be the same again, either.

Janice stopped the blender and inspected the contents of the blender (I don't think you need to tell us she stopped it, we can infer that); she was satisfied that - there was nothing recognizable left. She rechecked the stopper in her sink, and dumped all of it (it all?), added more water and a bit of food coloring to diminish the gloom of the gray color (I know newspaper goes gray, printed type, but I'm not sure about a photograph - although the only way I'd find out is by trying it :Shrug:). This is a celebration, she tried to remind herself, and chose red because it reminded herself of the joke she thought of just a few minutes ago. (remind, reminded - I found it offputting, but someone else might not)

Swishing the water with her hands, then dipping a piece of old pantyhose stretched on a metal clothes hanger into the water. (Swishing and dipping pull us suddenly into the present tense - last paragraph was past tense. I think I prefer the present tense, but you'll probably want to use one or other all the way through) It was a bit like panning for gold. Really, it was, Janice thought (Is this necessary?). This picture was probably (had been - quite definately past tense :)) worth quite a bit more, per pound. Now it was worth nothing, except to her.

Janice caught as much of the pulp as she could onto the pantyhose, and she carefully (again - we can infer this) placed the whole thing on the top of the refrigerator to dry. Oh, she felt antsy, again like a kid. Like (like, Like - if it's not there for stylistic reasons, can you change one or the other?) waiting for the first day of school, when you check and recheck your backpack for your pencils and paper and stickers, and you change your mind about what to wear at least a dozen times before the day really arrives (run on - can you trim this down?). It was going to take a day or two, at least, for her little art project to be ready. But that was okay. Jason was going to (would?) be gone for another three days with Amber. Janice had heard their plans when she picked up the phone to order Chinese for (unnecessary detail?) supper. Didn’t need (Good - punchy - no unnecessary "she") to ask Jason what he wanted; she already knew that he would tell her Number 17. And that’s how Janice found out why Jason was really on the road so much.

She knew that Jason was going to (would) deny everything. And then he’d turn it into, “It’s all your fault I did it, Janice.” But she/Janice had already decided she wasn’t going to talk to him anymore, except through her attorney. Already had one lined up, actually. (great line!)

Well, he was going to (would) get one last personal communication from Janice—her a letter to him (we know it's from her, she just made the stationary 'specially :) - we also know it's to him) written on her special stationery,; created just for the occasion. She had already begun to remake (recycle - and tie it into the title?) herself, just like she did the photograph.

I know there's a lot of red there, but don't panic! I think it's a good story - but I also think it needs tightening up a little. What I'm looking for is a voice that echoes Janice's feelings - she's angry and I want the words to sound angry too.

Thanks for letting me comment. I think you've got a great story here - congrats on getting it all out in 90 minutes!

Last edited:

Shwebb

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, Cath!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your comments and suggestions. Very helpful!

Did I say, "Thanks?" Thanks, lots!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts from the crit:

This is a celebration, she tried to remind herself, and chose red because it reminded herself of the joke she thought of just a few minutes ago. (remind, reminded - I found it offputting, but someone else might not)

Suggestion: "...and chose red because of the joke she'd thought of."

Oh, she felt antsy, again like a kid. Like (like, Like - if it's not there for stylistic reasons, can you change one or the other?) waiting for the first day of school, when you check and recheck your backpack for your pencils and paper and stickers, and you change your mind about what to wear at least a dozen times before the day really arrives (run on - can you trim this down?).

I think the like/Like and the run-together phrases contribute to the giddy-kid feeling.