• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Eve White Literary Agent

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to query this agency very badly, but alas, I don't live in the UK. Good luck to everyone else. Ms. White appears to be very top notch.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
Just submitted. Aaah! Anyone dealt with this agency recently?

Edit: A very polite rejection.

Last edited:

SentaHolland

'Out of the Shadows' HarperCollins
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sentaholland.wordpress.com
on the other hand, they do advertise a 'literary consultancy' directly on their website, and the 'standard' response I personally received made it clear that they had not 'tailored' it to the most basic information in my email. I understand agents are busy etc. but I don't feel comfortable about both these things. Is it ok to say that?

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not down with the inclusion of the lit consult service in the form R. I don't take it personally but there are plenty of writers who lack confidence and would read such a thing as a "this manuscript was utterly dreadful, please seek help immediately'.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Yeah, I'm not down with the inclusion of the lit consult service in the form R. I don't take it personally but there are plenty of writers who lack confidence and would read such a thing as a "this manuscript was utterly dreadful, please seek help immediately'.

I'm also uncomfortable with agents advertising consultancies, especially in a form rejection.

on the other hand, they do advertise a 'literary consultancy' directly on their website, and the 'standard' response I personally received made it clear that they had not 'tailored' it to the most basic information in my email. I understand agents are busy etc. but I don't feel comfortable about both these things. Is it ok to say that?

Hi Senta, what do you mean when you ask "Is it ok to say that"? If you're asking if it's a bad sign, it's not a red flag for UK agencies. Quite a few reputable agencies have consultancy links... it's quite odd, compared to US agencies where it's a BIG red flag, but that's the way it is right now.

Last edited:

SentaHolland

'Out of the Shadows' HarperCollins
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sentaholland.wordpress.com
I am uncomfortable with the agency 'recommending' a 'literary consultancy' because people might think they need to sign up and pay for the services of that consultancy. To me, it looks like marketing a paying service. But if you say that's the norm in the UK I will take your word for it. I still feel uncomfortable about it and I'm surprised that it's a red flag in the US and not in the UK? How come standards are so different?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The position of 'literary consultancies' and 'book doctors' is much more respectable over here. I know of several people who have used them and gone on to be published.