• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Entry #34 - Beta Project 2014

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: Death in the Second Act
Manuscript Genre: amateur sleuth murder mystery
Manuscript Word Count: aiming for about 75K words, but only about half are already written
Is your manuscript finished?: No

Hook:

For stage manager Trish Travis, three months of summer stock in the country with several old friends is a welcome break from city life. The chance to work with -- and date! -- Danny Roeder, one of the artistic heroes of her youth, is a dream come true for Trish as he tries to rebuild his once-brilliant career from the ashes of burnout and substance abuse.

But when she witnesses Danny in a questionable situation with a pretty, young costume assistant named Melisande, Trish begins to have doubts. When Melisande is murdered and then Danny disappears, Trish’s resolve to find the truth about the man whose bed she’d been sharing uncovers dangerous secrets about more of her friends and coworkers. Can Trish's backstage knowledge help uncover a killer?

First 750 words:

Scarlet spandex blazed against the back of the stage left platform – damn! I swear, actors could be as scatterbrained as children when it came to cleaning up after themselves.

Carbs, grease, and iceberg lettuce sang their siren call from the Kozy Korner downtown, but they would just have to wait. I detoured from my quick pass through backstage to retrieve that stray costume piece dangling from a nail.

Easy enough to miss under stage lighting -- I could almost forgive whichever chorus girl left it there during the dress rehearsal. But there was no excuse afterward, with the worklights on and daylight from the pine-scented Adirondack afternoon streaming through the open door from the loading dock. That useless English costume assistant should have checked backstage before taking her dinner break.

First she missed a cue assisting a quick costume change in the second act. And now this. I was going to have to have another talk with Miss Melisande Hart. Just because her mother was a world-class fashion designer didn’t mean she could get away with slacking at her own job. Costa Playhouse may be a dinky little upstate summer theatre, but I pride myself on running a tight ship backstage.

I headed toward the backstage hallway with the offending garment. Brenda, the rotund red-headed designer, emerged from the women’s dressing room, laden with an armful of jewel-toned tops

Danny had requested more sequins lining everyone’s cleavage. Directing musical comedy might be a change from the avant garde experimentalism and classics that had made his name, but he was catching on quick.

I added the scarlet shirt in my hand to her pile. “Shouldn’t Melisande be doing that?” I asked. Yet another demerit for the missing Miss Hart.

“Eh, probably,” Brenda said, cheerfully resigned. A summer stock veteran, she was no stranger to the time crunch of tech week. She creaked up the two wooden steps to the costume shop annex.

I turned around and was promptly greeted by Danny, snuggling into my personal space like he owned it. The heavy-framed glasses he hated wearing and the crease between his eyes told me he was feeling just as burnt out from the stress of tech week as I was. “Got any ibuprofen, Trish, sweetheart?”

With every touch, every smile and endearment, I still felt amazement at this summer’s intimacy with a guy whose work I’d once written term papers on.

"Yeah, just a second." I rummaged through my backpack and came up with a bottle. He shook out a couple and swallowed them dry.

"Put that ridiculous thing down," he said, as I started to lift my bag off the floor. "What is it, your home away from home?"

"Sort of." He'd teased me about it before. But I needed that room to carry promptbooks, tools, pencils, tape, anything else a busy stage manager might need at a moment's notice. So what if carrying it caused hell on my neck muscles?

I rubbed my neck. Danny brushed my hand away and began kneading it himself. I shivered involuntarily at the warmth of his fingers and his coffee-infused breath against my skin.

"Let's go somewhere," he whispered huskily.

Brain and stomach warred with my genitals. He still owed me one hell of an explanation for last night. "I was thinking dinner."

"Not the diner. Last thing I want right now is to run into half the cast."

"Have you had any food since breakfast?" I asked. Sometimes I feel like the biggest part my job is playing mom to creative types who can't be bothered to exercise the simplest common sense.

"Coffee."

"Me too. I have got to eat something, Danny, or I'll be even crankier tonight."

"I've got something for you to eat," he deadpanned. Maybe he meant he had food in his room . . . or not.

Before I could work that one out, we heard a scream.

Danny's hands froze on my shoulders.

"Costume shop," I said. I was up the stairs in double time, Danny close behind me.

Brenda stood to the right of the shop, pile of shirts at her feet, amid more than the usual disorder. Hyperventilating, she gaped at the open door of the industrial‑sized clothes dryer.

A stream of tangled gold hair trickled out onto the floor. Inching closer to confirm that was really a person in there, I recognized the ridiculous ruffly white dress before the upside-down, too-red face.

It was Melisande Hart.

What do you look for in a beta?:

Some scenes are already polished; others are still in rough draft or not yet written. So I am not looking for line-by-line critting.

I’m mainly looking for feedback on plot and characters. Can you follow what’s going on? Do the motivations and relationships make sense? Can you keep track of all the characters? What needs more explanation, or less?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Critique of Entry # 34

General Impression:

Excellent start. Good character development, and we’re plunged into the story’s action within the first three pages.

Manuscript Title: “Death in the Second Act”

Good title, depending on when the deed was actually done. And unique, if you can trust amazon’s search.

Hook:

Good hook. It makes me want to read more. A couple of nits:

…is a dream come true for Trish as he tries to rebuild his once-brilliant career…

Use Roeder’s name rather than “he” to avoid confusion about who the pronoun refers to. Not a biggie, since Trish is obviously female, but I had to stop, go back, and think about it. Readers shouldn’t have to stop and think.

I don’t get how witnessing Danny in a “questionable” situation gives Trish doubts. Is this an expression of jealousy? Were they doing drugs? Do you not want the reader to know until later?

First 750 words:

The opening sentence is masterful. What a punch! This is a good start. Strong writing and just enough introduction and, bang, there’s the body. At first I thought the scream accompanied the deed, which would provide Danny with an alibi, but that was not the case. Maybe if the MC recognized the scream as being Brenda’s voice, since the book has already telegraphed that the victim would be Melisande.

Don’t wait too long to have Trish introduce herself to the reader. I know her from the hook, but the book should stand alone.

Couple more nits:

Just because her mother was a world-class fashion designer…

Kind of “telly.” Doesn’t fit the rest of the narrative. Maybe she could say that and what follows to Brenda in a catty exchange.

I added the scarlet shirt in my hand to [Brenda’s] pile.

I had forgotten about Brenda by the time I got there.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Entry 34[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Comments by Deleyan Lee[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nice start. I loved working theater when I was younger, so it's kind of nice to "visit" in this story. I was never a stage manager (I worked props, sets, occasionally on stage), so it's a world I remember frighteningly fondly. At this point, I'm keeping track of who everyone is and what's going on. I'd definitely be reading more from this point on.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will beta for you, if you're interested.[/FONT]

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I like the hook. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ve ever read a murder mystery in my life, so I’m not sure how much help I will be…

I think you started in the right place, and the pacing is good. Voice too. But for some reason, I had to read a lot of things twice. It wasn’t like there was something wrong with your writing though… Take, say the first sentence. I read “scarlet spandex,” and I assumed you meant clothing, but maybe it’s some other prop, I wasn’t sure. So I read the paragraph twice because I thought perhaps I was missing something. But I wasn’t. Then in the next paragraph you do say it’s a costume piece…And then “jewel-toned”—I lingered on that too because I wasn’t 100% clear if I was interpreting that right because it’s not a term I’ve heard in a long time. Same with “costume shop annex”—couldn’t quite picture what you meant by that. “Home away from home”—I read that over a couple times too because it seemed like an odd way to describe a bag. Not usually how I hear it used. “I’ve got something for you to eat”…well, I thought it was pretty obvious what he meant, so why would she have to “work that one out”?

Anyway, maybe this is all just me and my own stupidity. Probably is. I am always a pretty slow reader, and occasionally this sort of thing happens with books I read. Even with books I like a lot, but not with books I find relaxing reads.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: Death in the Second Act
Manuscript Genre: amateur sleuth murder mystery
Manuscript Word Count: aiming for about 75K words, but only about half are already written
Is your manuscript finished?: No

Hook:

For stage manager Trish Travis, three months of summer stock in the country with several old friends is a welcome break from city life. The chance to work with -- and date! -- Danny Roeder, one of the artistic heroes of her youth, is a dream come true for Trish as he tries to rebuild his once-brilliant career from the ashes of burnout and substance abuse.

But when she witnesses Danny in a questionable situation with a pretty, young costume assistant named Melisande, Trish begins to have doubts. When Melisande is murdered and then Danny disappears, Trish’s resolve to find the truth about the man whose bed she’d been sharing uncovers dangerous secrets about more of her friends and coworkers. Can Trish's backstage knowledge help uncover a killer?

First 750 words:

Scarlet spandex blazed against the back of the stage left platform – damn! I swear, actors could be as scatterbrained as children when it came to cleaning up after themselves. I really like this but it's not clear what "scarlet spandex" is referring to here. It's "blazing" so it feels like it's active, but later we find out that it's just a piece of costume hanging on something.

Carbs, grease, and iceberg lettuce sang their siren call I feel like iceberg lettuce would not be calling the same way the grease would. It's just a weird juxtaposition, though otherwise I like it. I know, I'm being really contradictory. from the Kozy Korner downtown, but they would just have to wait. I detoured from my quick pass through backstage to retrieve that stray costume piece dangling from a nail.

Easy enough to miss under stage lighting -- I could almost forgive whichever chorus girl left it there during the dress rehearsal. But there was no excuse afterward, with the worklights on and daylight from the pine-scented Adirondack afternoon streaming through the open door from the loading dock. That useless English costume assistant should have checked backstage before taking her dinner break.

First, she missed a cue assisting a quick costume change in the second act. And now this. I was going to have to have another talk with Miss Melisande Hart. Just because her mother was a world-class fashion designer didn’t mean she could get away with slacking at her own job. Costa Playhouse may be a dinky little upstate summer theatre, but I pride myself on running a tight ship backstage.

I headed toward the backstage hallway with the offending garment. Brenda, the rotund red-headed designer, emerged from the women’s dressing room, laden with an armful of jewel-toned tops.

Danny had requested more sequins lining everyone’s cleavage. Directing musical comedy might be a change from the avant-garde experimentalism and classics that had made his name, but he was catching on quick.

I added the scarlet shirt in my hand to her ("Brenda's" because I was confused since we've had a paragraph about Danny since we last spoke about Brenda) pile. “Shouldn’t Melisande be doing that?” I asked. Yet another demerit for the missing Miss Hart.

“Eh, probably,” Brenda said, cheerfully resigned. A summer stock veteran, she was no stranger to the time crunch of tech week. She creaked up the two wooden steps to the costume shop annex.

I turned around and was promptly greeted by Danny, snuggling into my personal space like he owned it. The heavy-framed glasses he hated wearing and the crease between his eyes told me he was feeling just as burnt out from the stress of tech week as I was. “Got any ibuprofen, Trish, sweetheart?”

With every touch, every smile and endearment, I still felt amazement at this summer’s intimacy with a guy whose work I’d once written term papers on.

"Yeah, just a second." I rummaged through my backpack and came up with a bottle. He shook out a couple and swallowed them dry.

"Put that ridiculous thing down," he said, as I started to lift my bag off the floor. "What is it, your home away from home?"

"Sort of." He'd teased me about it before. But I needed that room to carry promptbooks, tools, pencils, tape, anything else a busy stage manager might need at a moment's notice. So what if carrying it caused hell on my neck muscles?

I rubbed my neck. Danny brushed my hand away and began kneading it himself. I shivered involuntarily at the warmth of his fingers and his coffee-infused breath against my skin.

"Let's go somewhere," he whispered huskily.

Brain and stomach warred with my genitals. He still owed me one hell of an explanation for last night. "I was thinking dinner."

"Not the diner. Last thing I want right now is to run into half the cast."

"Have you had any food since breakfast?" I asked. Sometimes I feel like the biggest part my job is playing mom to creative types who can't be bothered to exercise the simplest common sense.

"Coffee."

"Me too. I have got to eat something, Danny, or I'll be even crankier tonight."

"I've got something for you to eat," he deadpanned. Maybe he meant he had food in his room . . . or not.

Before I could work that one out, we heard a scream.

Danny's hands froze on my shoulders.

"Costume shop," I said. I was up the stairs in double time, Danny close behind me.

Brenda stood to the right of the shop, pile of shirts at her feet, amid more than the usual disorder. Hyperventilating, she gaped at the open door of the industrial‑sized clothes dryer.

A stream of tangled, gold hair trickled out onto the floor. Inching closer to confirm that was really a person in there, I recognized the ridiculous ruffly white dress before the upside-down, too-red face. Watch your adjective use. You've been using a lot of strings of them.

It was Melisande Hart.

General comments:

So I think this starts about in the right place for a mystery, but it's disorienting to be after 2/3 of your hook. I've never critted adult mystery queries, and certainly not with reading any of the mystery in question, so I can't say whether that's typical or not, but it did strike me while reading it

Otherwise, I found this to be pretty clean except for the notes above.

Good luck!