• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Entry #33 (A R) - Beta Project 2019

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: Present Imperfect
Manuscript Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance (rom-com)
Manuscript Word Count: Projected: 84,000
Is your manuscript finished?: No
Any trigger warnings? The protagonist's mom was a drug addict and has some dark stuff in her past, but there's nothing that happens on-page that should be troubling. This is 80% comedy, 20% drama.

Hook:

Rose Puleo is in the throes of a Quarter Life Crisis. A year after the breakup that torpedoed her plans and dreams, she’s back in her New England home town, trying to rebuild a relationship with her recovering addict mom, and struggling to salvage the second half of her twenties.

Then Sebastian “Basher” Greenhill, her ex’s best friend, invades Rose’s life: moving to her town, befriending her friends, and even subletting an apartment in her building. The only silver lining to her breakup was never having to see Basher again. He’s the son of a rock star, a spoiled, infuriating pest with the fashion sense of a roadie for a 70’s glam rock band. The only way to keep Basher contained is to give him a little of what he wants: Rose. As their friendship deepens and then ignites, Rose’s imperfect present threatens to derail her perfectly planned future.

First 750 words:

I knew as soon as I turned on to Three Mile Lane that my perfect unicorn cake was doomed.

It sat on the passenger seat beside me, and when the car hit the first bump, I flung out my arm like I was was trying to save a toddler from going through the windshield. Back home, I’d rigged an inverted washtub over the cake platter to help preserve the decorations. Now I slammed one hand on top of the tub to keep the cake from bouncing right off the seat. My other hand jerked the steering wheel, very slowly swerving the 1987 Buick Skylark around the potholes, which were as deep and plentiful as one might expect from a three mile long dirt road in southern Vermont.

So things were already less than ideal before I careened around a corner like a drunken lunatic— albeit one going fifteen miles an hour— and nearly plowed into a brown and white cow. I slammed on the brakes, and the cake lurched forward on the seat, nearly toppling into the footwell. I grabbed the platter with my fingernails before it went over, but I could sense the frosting getting mutilated as I dragged it back.

I almost cried. If you’re judging me for that, if you’re thinking, “Oh, boo-hoo, Rose. There is truly nothing sadder than a damaged unicorn cake,” you have to understand that human babies have been brought into the world with less effort than I put into that cake. Also, I had some heartbreak-related problems that I may have been avoiding dealing with by hyper-focusing on party planning. As one does.

I honked the car horn to shoo the runaway cow out of the road. She gave me a dirty look and resumed munching the weeds by the roadside.

I cursed her in Italian as I inched past. I try to only use esoteric Italian swears, like my grandma inadvertently taught me. Her theory was that God only listens to the things you say in the language of the country you’re currently in.

The turn-off was marked with a mud-splattered sign.

MOTLEY MEADOW FARM
Vegetables & Fresh Eggs
Maple Syrup
Apple Picking
Pumpkin Patch
Corn Maze
Barn for Rent​

Fortunately for the cake, the gravel driveway was much smoother than the road. I pulled into the parking lot of the public area of the farm; a gate barred the way up the hill, where the farmhouse watched over the apple orchard. To my right lay the cornfields, the ears not yet quite as high as an elephant’s eye. In a few weeks, the cornfield maze would be mowed, and then this parking lot would be full of people who braved the knee-deep potholes and rogue livestock of Three Mile Lane to pick apples, take photos of their kids in the maze, and buy home-baked goods in the tiny shack of a store opposite the party barn. Agritainment at its finest.

The party barn was so called to distinguish it from the slightly smaller and much smellier animal barn. The party barn had a mural of blue skies and puffy clouds on one exterior wall— as well electricity and running water— and was, as the sign promised, available for rent.

But we didn’t have to pay a dime for it, which was 95% of the reason we were having the Quarter Life Crisis party there and not at a much more conveniently located bar.

I hopped out of the car and took a moment to steel myself for the worst before lifting the washtub.

It wasn’t the worst, but Lord, it wasn’t good. “Tette del diavolo.”

“Rose Puleo! Language.” Zoe Daft, one-third of Team Quarter Life Crisis, threw her arms around my neck and planted a glossy kiss on my cheek. Her hair was twisted into two high pigtails cascading over her shoulders in fuschia and burgundy waves, and she was wearing a sports bra with what looked like a pair of men’s boxer briefs and knee-high rainbow-striped socks. “Just kidding. You know I love it when you swear like the Italian grandmother you will inevitably become.” She looked over my shoulder at the cake and squealed, “It’s even more magical than I dreamed!”

What do you look for in a beta?

Ideally, I'd like someone who reads and likes Contemporary Romance. At this stage, I'm mostly interested in big-picture stuff. How are my characters coming off? Are parts dragging or going too quickly? What's making you roll your eyes?

One of my characters has struggled with depression in the past; it's not a major part of the story, but if a beta has personal experience with mental health struggles I would love some feedback on this aspect.

I'll be finished with the draft sometime in August, and wouldn't need crits back until October. Note that this is a (pretty clean) first draft, so I'm technically looking for more of an alpha reader.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Any trigger warnings? The protagonist's mom was a drug addict and has some dark stuff in her past, but there's nothing that happens on-page that should be troubling. This is 80% comedy, 20% drama.

Hook:

Rose Puleo is in the throes of a Quarter Life Crisis. A year after the breakup that torpedoed her plans and dreams, she’s back in her New England home town, trying to rebuild a relationship with her recovering addict mom, and struggling to salvage the second half of her twenties.

Then Sebastian “Basher” Greenhill, her ex’s best friend, invades Rose’s life: moving to her town, befriending her friends, and even subletting an apartment in her building. The only silver lining to her breakup was never having to see Basher again. He’s the son of a rock star, a spoiled, infuriating pest with the fashion sense of a roadie for a 70’s glam rock band. The only way to keep Basher contained is to give him a little of what he wants: Rose. As their friendship deepens and then ignites, Rose’s imperfect present threatens to derail her perfectly planned future.

First 750 words:

I knew as soon as I turned on to Three Mile Lane that my perfect unicorn cake was doomed. (Aw, no! Save the unicorn cake! Lol!)

It sat on the passenger seat beside me, and when the car hit the first bump, I flung out my arm like I was was trying to save a toddler from going through the windshield. Back home, I’d rigged an inverted washtub over the cake platter to help preserve the decorations (Interesting enough, I watched a TV programme the other day in which a chocolate skull angel with wings was being transported – this was wrapped in clingfilm, so I don’t know whether your MC has considered that to help preserve delicate decorations in transit? Just thought I’d throw that out there, lol!). Now I slammed one hand on top of the tub to keep the cake from bouncing right off the seat. My other hand jerked the steering wheel, very slowly swerving the 1987 Buick Skylark around the potholes, which were as deep and plentiful as one might expect from a three(hyphen)mile long dirt road in southern Vermont.

So things were already less than ideal before I careened around a corner like a drunken lunatic— albeit one going fifteen miles an hour— and nearly plowed into a brown and white cow. I slammed on the brakes (uh-oh!), and the cake lurched forward on the seat, nearly toppling into the footwell. I grabbed the platter with my fingernails before it went over, but I could sense the frosting getting mutilated as I dragged it back.

I almost cried. If you’re judging me for that, if you’re thinking, “Oh, boo-hoo, Rose. There is truly nothing sadder than a damaged unicorn cake,” you have to understand that human babies have been brought into the world with less effort than I put into that cake. Also, I had some heartbreak-related problems that I may have been avoiding dealing with by hyper-focusing on party planning. As one does.

I honked the car horn to shoo the runaway cow out of the road. She gave me a dirty look and resumed munching the weeds by the roadside.

I cursed her in Italian as I inched past. I try to only use esoteric Italian swears, like my grandma inadvertently taught me. Her theory was that God only listens to the things you say in the language of the country you’re currently in (Lol!).

MOTLEY MEADOW FARM
Vegetables & Fresh Eggs
Maple Syrup
Apple Picking
Pumpkin Patch
Corn Maze
Barn for Rent

Fortunately for the cake, the gravel driveway was much smoother than the road. I pulled into the parking lot of the public area of the farm; a gate barred the way up the hill, where the farmhouse watched over the apple orchard. To my right lay the cornfields, the ears not yet quite as high as an elephant’s eye (I dig the rhyming – was it intentional??). In a few weeks, the cornfield maze would be mowed, and then this parking lot would be full of people who braved the knee-deep potholes and rogue livestock of Three Mile Lane to pick apples, take photos of their kids in the maze, and buy home-baked goods in the tiny shack of a store opposite the party barn. Agritainment at its finest.

The party barn was so called to distinguish it from the slightly smaller and much smellier animal barn. The party barn had a mural of blue skies and puffy clouds on one exterior wall— as well electricity and running water— and was, as the sign promised, available for rent.

But we didn’t have to pay a dime for it, which was 95% of the reason we were having the Quarter Life Crisis party there and not at a much more conveniently located bar.

I hopped out of the car and took a moment to steel myself for the worst before lifting the washtub.

“Rose Puleo! Language.” Zoe Daft, one-third of Team Quarter Life Crisis, threw her arms around my neck and planted a glossy kiss on my cheek. Her hair was twisted into two high pigtails cascading over her shoulders in fuschia and burgundy waves, and she was wearing a sports bra with what looked like a pair of men’s boxer briefs and knee-high rainbow-striped socks. “Just kidding. You know I love it when you swear like the Italian grandmother you will inevitably become.” She looked over my shoulder at the cake and squealed, “It’s even more magical than I dreamed!” (Lol!)

I enjoyed the extract very much and only had a little nitpick – good job! :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

Hook:

Then Sebastian “Basher” Greenhill, her ex’s best friend, invades Rose’s life: moving to her town, befriending her friends, and even subletting an apartment in her building. The only silver lining to her breakup was never having to see Basher again. He’s the son of a rock star, a spoiled, infuriating pest with the fashion sense of a roadie for a 70’s '70s glam rock band. The only way to keep Basher contained is to give him a little of what he wants: Rose. As their friendship deepens and then ignites, Rose’s imperfect present threatens to derail her perfectly planned future. Wait, she can't stand him, so she spends more time with him? This right here would make me not pick up the book.

First 750 words:

I knew as soon as I turned on to Three Mile Lane that my perfect unicorn cake was doomed.

It sat on the passenger seat beside me, and when the car hit the first bump, I flung out my arm like I was was trying to save a toddler from going through the windshield. Back home, I’d rigged an inverted washtub over the cake platter to help preserve the decorations. Now I slammed one hand on top of the tub to keep the cake from bouncing right off the seat. My other hand jerked the steering wheel, very slowly swerving [isn't this an oxymoron?] the 1987 Buick Skylark around the potholes, which were as deep and plentiful as one might expect from a three mile long dirt road in southern Vermont.

So things were already less than ideal before I careened around a corner like a drunken lunatic— albeit one going fifteen miles an hour— [again, an oxymoron] and nearly plowed into a brown and white cow. I slammed on the brakes, and the cake lurched forward on the seat, nearly toppling into the footwell. I grabbed the platter with my fingernails before it went over, but I could sense the frosting getting mutilated as I dragged it back.

I almost cried. If you’re judging me for that, if you’re thinking, “Oh, boo-hoo, Rose. There is truly nothing sadder than a damaged unicorn cake,” you have to understand that human babies have been brought into the world with less effort than I put into that cake. [Haha.] Also, I had some heartbreak-related problems that I may have been avoiding dealing with by hyper-focusing on party planning. As one does.

I cursed her in Italian as I inched past. I try to only use esoteric Italian swears, like my grandma inadvertently taught me. Her theory was that God only listens to the things you say in the language of the country you’re currently in.

The turn-off was marked with a mud-splattered sign. For some reason, I don't know why, I REALLY like that you showed what was on the sign.

MOTLEY MEADOW FARM
Vegetables & Fresh Eggs
Maple Syrup
Apple Picking
Pumpkin Patch
Corn Maze
Barn for Rent

Fortunately for the cake, the gravel driveway was much smoother than the road. I pulled into the parking lot of the public area of the farm; a gate barred the way up the hill, where the farmhouse watched over the apple orchard. To my right lay the cornfields, the ears not yet quite as high as an elephant’s eye. In a few weeks, the cornfield maze would be mowed, and then this parking lot would be full of people who braved the knee-deep potholes and rogue livestock of Three Mile Lane to pick apples, take photos of their kids in the maze, and buy home-baked goods in the tiny shack of a store opposite the party barn. Agritainment at its finest.

“Rose Puleo! Language.” Zoe Daft, one-third of Team Quarter Life Crisis, threw her arms around my neck and planted a glossy kiss on my cheek. Her hair was twisted into two high pigtails cascading over her shoulders in fuschia and burgundy waves, and she was wearing a sports bra with what looked like a pair of men’s boxer briefs and knee-high rainbow-striped socks. “Just kidding. You know I love it when you swear like the Italian grandmother you will inevitably become.” She looked over my shoulder at the cake and squealed, “It’s even more magical than I dreamed!”

Ideally, I'd like someone who reads and likes Contemporary Romance. At this stage, I'm mostly interested in big-picture stuff. How are my characters coming off? Are parts dragging or going too quickly? What's making you roll your eyes?

One of my characters has struggled with depression in the past; it's not a major part of the story, but if a beta has personal experience with mental health struggles I would love some feedback on this aspect.

I'll be finished with the draft sometime in August, and wouldn't need crits back until October. Note that this is a (pretty clean) first draft, so I'm technically looking for more of an alpha reader.

Brace yourself.

Okay, there's nothing that stands out in this as bad, per se, but it's also not grabbing me by the throat and refusing to let go. It has a catchy opening line, you get some description of the characters, the prose flows well enough. So there's nothing technically wrong. But it's not holding my interest. (I know, I just repeated myself.) I am wondering if this is the right place to open your book with? You also might try making the voice stronger, especially since it's a rom-com. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entry #33 (A R) - Beta Project 2019

Hook:

Rose Puleo is in the throes of a Quarter Life Crisis. A year after the breakup that torpedoed her plans and dreams, she’s back in her New England home town, trying to rebuild a relationship with her recovering addict mom, and struggling to salvage the second half of her twenties. This goal isn’t concrete enough for me. What specifically does she need to achieve to do this? Convince her mom to keep a job? Go to school to be a vet tech? Get even with her childhood bully? Your guess is as good as mine.

Then Sebastian “Basher” Greenhill, her ex’s best friend, invades Rose’s life: moving to her town, befriending her friends, and even subletting an apartment in her building. The only silver lining to her breakup was never having to see Basher again. He’s the son of a rock star, a spoiled, infuriating pest with the fashion sense of a roadie for a 70’s glam rock band. The only way to keep Basher contained is to give him a little of what he wants: Rose. Why does he want Rose? And why is this the “only way?” Usually romance couples are thrown together for a reason--they’re forced to work together, or they drunkenly get married to someone they just met, or one needs the help of the other for some reason. The reason these two are hanging out seems to be “because the story needs them to.” Which isn’t a strong enough reason. As their friendship deepens and then ignites, Rose’s imperfect present threatens to derail her perfectly planned future. I have no idea what her plans are. And how can her future be “perfectly planned” if her life is already in ruins?

First 750 words:

It sat on the passenger seat beside me, and when the car hit the first bump, I flung out my arm like I was was trying to save a toddler from going through the windshield. Nice opening with a strong, concrete image. Back home, I’d rigged an inverted washtub over the cake platter to help preserve the decorations. Now I slammed one hand on top of the tub to keep the cake from bouncing right off the seat. My other hand jerked the steering wheel, very slowly swerving the 1987 Buick Skylark around the potholes, which were as deep and plentiful as one might expect from a three mile long dirt road in southern Vermont.

So things were already less than ideal before I careened around a corner like a drunken lunatic— albeit one going fifteen miles an hour— and nearly plowed into a brown and white cow. I slammed on the brakes, and the cake lurched forward on the seat, nearly toppling into the footwell. I grabbed the platter with my fingernails before it went over, but I could sense the frosting getting mutilated as I dragged it back.

MOTLEY MEADOW FARM
Vegetables & Fresh Eggs
Maple Syrup
Apple Picking
Pumpkin Patch
Corn Maze
Barn for Rent

But we didn’t have to pay a dime for it, which was 95% of the reason we Who’s we? were having the Quarter Life Crisis party there and not at a much more conveniently located bar.

“Rose Puleo! Language.” Zoe Daft, “Daft?” Really? one-third of Team Quarter Life Crisis, threw her arms around my neck and planted a glossy kiss on my cheek. Her hair was twisted into two high pigtails cascading over her shoulders in fuschia and burgundy waves, and she was wearing a sports bra with what looked like a pair of men’s boxer briefs and knee-high rainbow-striped socks. “Just kidding. You know I love it when you swear like the Italian grandmother you will inevitably become.” She looked over my shoulder at the cake and squealed, “It’s even more magical than I dreamed!”

Nice voice. The excerpt reads well and drew me in. I’m intrigued by the concept of someone whose life has fallen apart and is throwing a party to celebrate it instead of wallowing in depression. However, I’m not getting a lot more than that based on this first 750 words. The whole excerpt is fairly low-stakes, given that the cake appears to be simply for her friends. If she was a professional baker on her way to a big client and was in danger of losing her job (and maybe needed the hero to jump in and help her save her career, as cliche as that sounds) that would keep me reading. But I wouldn’t read on much longer if it’s just going to be scenes of her and her friends joking around about their quarter-life crisis.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

Hook:

Rose Puleo is in the throes of a Quarter Life Crisis. A year after the breakup that torpedoed her plans and dreams, I wish there was a hint of what those 'plans and dreams' would be (white picket fence, big city lifestyle, whatever) she’s back in her New England home town, trying to rebuild a relationship with her recovering addict mom, and struggling to salvage the second half of her twenties.

Then Sebastian “Basher” Greenhill, her ex’s best friend, invades Rose’s life: moving to her town, befriending her friends, and even subletting an apartment in her building. The only silver lining to her breakup was never having to see Basher again. He’s the son of a rock star, a spoiled, infuriating pest with the fashion sense of a roadie for a 70’s glam rock band. this all really works for me. The only way to keep Basher contained is to give him a little of what he wants: Rose. this sounds really not okay? Given what little I know of him, he sounds toxic here, not fun. As their friendship deepens and then ignites, Rose’s imperfect present threatens to derail her perfectly planned future. I thought we started with that already derailed?

This is all good with me. I would like a little more on Basher that makes him a romantic prospect, because what's here does not make him sound that way, and a sense of what the future would have been and how she's working toward it (since I don't know what all the shifts are)

First 750 words:

I knew as soon as I turned on to Three Mile Lane that my perfect unicorn cake was doomed. this is really great spot to start

It sat on the passenger seat beside me, and when the car hit the first bump, I flung out my arm like I was was trying to save a toddler from going through the windshield. Back home, I’d rigged an inverted washtub over the cake platter to help preserve the decorations. Now I slammed one hand on top of the tub to keep the cake from bouncing right off the seat. My other hand jerked the steering wheel, very slowly swerving the 1987 Buick Skylark around the potholes, which were as deep and plentiful as one might expect from a three mile long dirt road in southern Vermont.

So things were already less than ideal before I careened around a corner like a drunken lunatic— albeit one going fifteen miles an hour— and nearly plowed into a brown and white cow. I slammed on the brakes, and the cake lurched forward on the seat, nearly toppling into the footwell. I grabbed the platter with my fingernails before it went over, but I could sense the frosting getting being? mutilated as I dragged it back.

I almost cried. If you’re judging me for that, if you’re thinking, “Oh, boo-hoo, Rose. There is truly nothing sadder than a damaged unicorn cake,” you have to understand that human babies have been brought into the world with less effort than I put into that cake. Also, I had some heartbreak-related problems that I may have been avoiding dealing with by hyper-focusing on party planning. As one does. yeah I'm really enjoying the voice and totally connect with her right from the start.

I cursed her in Italian as I inched past. I try to only use esoteric Italian swears, like my grandma inadvertently taught me. Her theory was that God only listens to the things you say in the language of the country you’re currently in. I'll accept it.

MOTLEY MEADOW FARM
Vegetables & Fresh Eggs
Maple Syrup
Apple Picking
Pumpkin Patch
Corn Maze
Barn for Rent​

Fortunately for the cake, the gravel driveway was much smoother than the road. I pulled into the parking lot of the public area of the farm; a gate barred the way up the hill, where the farmhouse watched over the apple orchard. To my right lay the cornfields, the ears not yet quite as high as an elephant’s eye. In a few weeks, the cornfield maze I have only ever heard them called corn mazes (and I am in New England) would be mowed, and then this parking lot would be full of people who braved the knee-deep potholes and rogue livestock of Three Mile Lane to pick apples, take photos of their kids in the maze, and buy home-baked goods in the tiny shack of a store opposite the party barn. Agritainment at its finest.

But we didn’t have to pay a dime for it, which was 95% of the reason we were having the Quarter Life Crisis party I feel like the p should be caps as part of the event there and not at a much more conveniently located bar.

I'm afraid I don't have much to say - it's a fun read, colorful, and catchy. I feel like i have a good peek into Rose as a character and where she is. It's a great start.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

Hook:

^I like this. Boom. Twenty five and my life is shit.

Then Sebastian “Basher” Greenhill, her ex’s best friend, invades Rose’s life: moving to her town, befriending her friends, and even subletting an apartment in her building. The only silver lining to her breakup was never having to see Basher again. He’s the son of a rock star, a spoiled, infuriating pest with the fashion sense of a roadie for a 70’s glam rock band. The only way to keep Basher contained is to give him a little of what he wants: Rose. (That doesn't follow, forced, contrived, might work if tweaked so that it's Basher's idea that this is the only thing that will satisfy him) As their friendship deepens and then ignites, Rose’s imperfect present threatens to derail her perfectly planned future.

Seems like typical set up and the first half of the hook works for me. But the second half feels cliche and forced... I think you can get around it with some word-smithing.

First 750 words:

It sat on the passenger seat beside me, and when the car hit the first bump, I flung out my arm like I was was trying to save a toddler from going through the windshield. (Seems like an odd response for a non-mom--the toddler part. Maybe just 'someone.') Back home, I’d rigged an inverted washtub over the cake platter to help preserve the decorations. Now I slammed one hand on top of the tub to keep the cake from bouncing right off the seat. My other hand jerked the steering wheel, very slowly swerving the 1987 Buick Skylark around the potholes, which were as deep and plentiful as one might expect from a three mile long dirt road in southern Vermont.

Totally feel the scene. :)

So things were already less than ideal before I careened around a corner like a drunken lunatic— albeit one going fifteen miles an hour— and nearly plowed into a brown and white cow. (really nitpicky, but why brown and white? I'd almost rather this was 'nearly plowed into a heifer.') I slammed on the brakes, and the cake lurched forward on the seat, nearly toppling into the footwell. I grabbed the platter with my fingernails before it went over, but I could sense the frosting getting mutilated as I dragged it back.

I almost cried. If you’re judging me for that, (Consider cutting, in part b/c you have three paragraphs in a row starting with I) if you’re thinking, “Oh, boo-hoo, Rose. There is truly nothing sadder than a damaged unicorn cake,” you have to understand that human babies have been brought into the world with less effort than I put into that cake. Also, I had some heartbreak-related problems that I may have been avoiding dealing with by hyper-focusing on party planning. As one does.

I cursed her in Italian (I want the swear word) as I inched past. I try to only use esoteric Italian swears, (want) like my grandma inadvertently taught me. (WANT.) Her theory was that God only listens to the things you say in the language of the country you’re currently in.

MOTLEY MEADOW FARM
Vegetables & Fresh Eggs
Maple Syrup
Apple Picking
Pumpkin Patch
Corn Maze
Barn for Rent
^^Cute!

Fortunately for the cake, the gravel driveway was much smoother than the road. (One of the really neat things about this so far is that I am DYING to see how the cake has held up. You tease.) I pulled into the parking lot of the public area of the farm; a gate barred the way up the hill, where the farmhouse watched over the apple orchard. To my right lay the cornfields, the ears not yet quite as high as an elephant’s eye. In a few weeks, the cornfield maze would be mowed, and then this parking lot would be full of people who braved the knee-deep potholes and rogue livestock of Three Mile Lane to pick apples, take photos of their kids in the maze, (That's fine, but the huge pumpkins are a different photo option that let you skip repeating the maze) and buy home-baked goods in the tiny shack of a store opposite the party barn. Agritainment at its finest.

^^^LOVE. Wonder what she feels about this party as a statement on the state of her life. Like, manure fits. Or whatever. I wonder what she thinks about being here, instead of a bar, on an emotional rather than financial level.

It wasn’t the worst, but Lord, it wasn’t good. “Tette del diavolo.” THANK YOU!

Ahh. The cake survived! Grazie Dio!

So this is really cute. So cute. I like a lot. If it were book club pick I'd be relieved that it was so fun and easy. I see sporadic things I'l personally like to see cleaned up, but they are nit-picky and marked.

I had issues with the hook... but I assume it's a sloppy copy for this project and not for real querying purposes.

That's all I got.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hook:

Then Sebastian “Basher” Greenhill, her ex’s best friend, invades Rose’s life: moving to her town, befriending her friends, and even subletting an apartment in her building. [[Well, he sounds like a stalker.]] The only silver lining to her breakup was never having to see Basher again. He’s the son of a rock star, a spoiled, infuriating pest with the fashion sense of a roadie for a 70’s glam rock band. [[Wahahahahahahaha!]] The only way to keep Basher contained is to give him a little of what he wants: Rose. [[To me, this sentence sounds like other people (not Rose herself) are pushing her forward as a sacrificial lamb to keep Basher from terrorizing the town. As it stands, I'm weirded out that Rose is striking up a friendship with a guy who seems to be stalking her.]] As their friendship deepens and then ignites [[Gah, no. Run away, Rose!]], Rose’s imperfect present threatens to derail her perfectly planned future.

[[I feel terrible saying this, but the way you've set it out, I'm uncomfortable with Rose and Basher's relationship. He seems creepy and she seems too willing to give herself over to him to keep things from getting worse. Maybe I misunderstood your hook, or maybe I'm just not the right reader for your story.

What I did like was the odd couple of flamboyant annoying guy plus practical planner girl. I enjoy an odd-couple romance. And I bet there are some devilishly funny moments based on the 70s-rock-band sentence.]]

First 750 words:
I knew as soon as I turned on to Three Mile Lane that my perfect unicorn cake was doomed. [[I'm hooked.]]

So things were already less than ideal before I careened around a corner like a drunken lunatic— albeit one going fifteen miles an hour— and nearly plowed into a brown and white cow. [[Ooh yes!]] I slammed on the brakes, and the cake lurched forward on the seat, nearly toppling into the footwell. I grabbed the platter with my fingernails before it went over, but I could sense the frosting getting mutilated as I dragged it back.

I almost cried. If you’re judging me for that, if you’re thinking, “Oh, boo-hoo, Rose. There is truly nothing sadder than a damaged unicorn cake,” you have to understand that human babies have been brought into the world with less effort than I put into that cake. [[I doubt it, but sure!]] Also, I had some heartbreak-related problems that I may have been avoiding dealing with by hyper-focusing on party planning. As one does. [[I am already in love with Rose's voice. She's delightful. She's self-aware. She's sarcastic.]]

I cursed her in Italian as I inched past. I try to only use esoteric Italian swears, like my grandma inadvertently taught me. Her theory was that God only listens to the things you say in the language of the country you’re currently in. [[YES!]]

MOTLEY MEADOW FARM
Vegetables & Fresh Eggs
Maple Syrup
Apple Picking
Pumpkin Patch
Corn Maze
Barn for Rent​

“Rose Puleo! Language.” Zoe Daft, one-third of Team Quarter Life Crisis, threw her arms around my neck and planted a glossy kiss on my cheek. Her hair was twisted into two high pigtails cascading over her shoulders in fuschia and burgundy waves, and she was wearing a sports bra with what looked like a pair of men’s boxer briefs and knee-high rainbow-striped socks. “Just kidding. You know I love it when you swear like the Italian grandmother you will inevitably become.” [[As you know, Bob, you will become a sailor-mouthed Italian grandmother and I am here for it . . .]] She looked over my shoulder at the cake and squealed, “It’s even more magical than I dreamed!”
###
OVERALL WHAT WORKS
Rose's voice! It sings! It curses in Italian! She baked a unicorn cake and is transporting it through questionably creative means! I love it!

WHAT DOESN'T
See my above concerns regarding the hook.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hook:

Then Sebastian “Basher” Greenhill, her ex’s best friend, invades Rose’s life: moving to her town, befriending her friends, and even subletting an apartment in her building. The only silver lining to her breakup was never having to see Basher again. He’s the son of a rock star, a spoiled, infuriating pest with the fashion sense of a roadie for a 70’s glam rock band. The only way to keep Basher contained is to give him a little of what he wants: Rose. As their friendship deepens and then ignites, Rose’s imperfect present threatens to derail her perfectly planned future. I think your hook is awesome!

First 750 words:

I almost cried. If you’re judging me for that, if you’re thinking, “Oh, boo-hoo, Rose. There is truly nothing sadder than a damaged unicorn cake,” you This sudden shift to second person is very jarring, especially the first time it happens. If this is a stylistic choice that you use continuously and semi-regularly throughout the novel, then your readers will have a chance to get used to it and it will start to feel natural, because it fits well within the genre. But if this is the only time? Definitely take another look at this paragraph and keep it soundly in 1st person. have to understand that human babies have been brought into the world with less effort than I put into that cake. Also, I had some heartbreak-related problems that I may have been avoiding dealing with by hyper-focusing on party planning. As one does.

MOTLEY MEADOW FARM
Vegetables & Fresh Eggs
Maple Syrup
Apple Picking
Pumpkin Patch
Corn Maze
Barn for Rent​

Fortunately for the cake, the gravel driveway was much smoother than the road. I pulled into the parking lot of the public area of the farm; a gate barred the way up the hill, where the farmhouse watched over the apple orchard. To my right lay the cornfields, the ears not yet quite as high as an elephant’s eye. In a few weeks, the cornfield maze would be mowed, and then this parking lot would be full of people who braved the knee-deep potholes and rogue livestock of Three Mile Lane to pick apples, take photos of their kids in the maze, and buy home-baked goods in the tiny shack of a store opposite the party barn. Agritainment at its finest. This paragraph does an excellent job at setting up your setting!

It wasn’t the worst, but Lord, it wasn’t good. “Tette del diavolo.

The sassy / sarcastic nature of your MC is absolutely perfect for the intended genre and her personality shines through spectacularly in this snippet. You've done a good job of setting up your scene and introducing your plot and characters without sounding to info-dumpy and while grabbing the attention of the reader to keep them reading. I, for one, would certainly love to keep reading. Excellent job with this!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

Hook:

The second-to-last sentence doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I assume Rose and Basher end up together, but that sentence is vague about what happens and why. Especially why.

First 750 words:

I knew as soon as I turned on to Three Mile Lane that my perfect unicorn cake was doomed. (Great first line)

It sat on the passenger seat beside me, and when the car hit the first bump, I flung out my arm like I was was trying to save a toddler from going through the windshield. Back home, I’d rigged an inverted washtub over the cake platter to help preserve the decorations. Now I slammed one hand on top of the tub to keep the cake from bouncing right off the seat. My other hand jerked the steering wheel, very slowly swerving (or 'maneuvering', swerving implies speed to me) the 1987 Buick Skylark around the potholes, which were as deep and plentiful as one might expect from (or 'on') a three mile long dirt road in southern Vermont.

So things were already less than ideal before I careened around a corner like a drunken lunatic— albeit one going ('only') fifteen miles an hour— and nearly plowed into a brown and white cow. I slammed on the brakes, and the cake lurched forward on the seat, nearly toppling into the footwell. I grabbed the platter with my fingernails before it went over, but I could sense the frosting getting mutilated as I dragged it back.

I almost cried. If you’re judging me for that, if you’re thinking, “Oh, boo-hoo, Rose. There is truly nothing sadder than a damaged unicorn cake,” you have to understand that human babies have been brought into the world with less effort than I put into that cake. (Another great line) Also, I had some heartbreak-related problems that I may have been avoiding dealing with by hyper-focusing on party planning. As one does.

I honked the car horn to shoo the runaway cow out of the road (or maybe 'shoo away the fugitive cow'). She gave me a dirty look and resumed munching the weeds by the roadside.

MOTLEY MEADOW FARM
Vegetables & Fresh Eggs
Maple Syrup
Apple Picking
Pumpkin Patch
Corn Maze
Barn for Rent

The party barn was so called to distinguish it from the slightly smaller and much smellier animal barn. The party barn had a mural of blue skies and puffy clouds on one exterior wall— as well electricity and running water— and was, as the sign ('at the turn-off had') promised, available for rent.

“Rose Puleo! Language.” Zoe Daft, one-third of Team Quarter Life Crisis, threw her arms around my neck and planted a glossy kiss on my cheek. Her hair was twisted into two high pigtails cascading over her shoulders in fuschia (fuchsia) and burgundy waves, and she was wearing a sports bra (along) with what looked like a pair of men’s boxer briefs and knee-high rainbow-striped socks. “Just kidding. You know I love it when you swear like the Italian grandmother you will inevitably become.” She looked over my shoulder at the cake and squealed, “It’s even more magical than I dreamed!”

This is very well-written, descriptive, easy to follow, and I like the humorous tone. Oddly, I didn't get a good read on Rose, although it's early yet. Zoe was much easier to picture, and I thought I knew her right away.

Not much happening in these first few paragraphs but the writing is entertaining enough to carry the story for a little while.

First time around, I didn't read the whole list on the sign. I don't know if that's just me or a normal reader thing. I picked up the first three or four items, then sailed right past the Barn for Rent.