• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Entry # 2 (A Historical) - Beta Project 2022

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: Stone-Cut Gods
Manuscript Genre: Ancient historical fiction
Manuscript Word Count: 89,300
Is your manuscript finished?: Y
Any trigger warnings? Child murder

Hook:

Emgella defends her Bronze Age tribe against all outsiders. She scares off an intimidating band of poachers with just her bow and her desperate bravado. During the standoff, a warrior falls ill with debilitating seizures. Their Old Woman reveals that Emgella can sever this curse by performing a spell in a foreign city.

Emgella sneaks across the rooftops of one of Asia Minor’s first cities, learning how to blend in. The urban elites play by baffling new rules, as if modern society warped everyone’s minds. Emgella discovers that the spell will create enemies strong enough to casually obliterate her people. A less devoted woman would return home empty-handed, but she can’t stand to fail expectations.

First 750 words:

The Barking Men crouched around their campfire, spreading lies. Their carelessly loud stories mingled with the raspy noise that earned them their name. “Ark, aaarkhark!”

The tribes of the Barking Men claimed I was more wild animal than human. Idiotic Barkers. Obviously they were the ones making the animal sounds. No doubt you choose to side with them over me, but we both know you’re a lying dungheap.

I lay lower in my hiding spot in the grass, a few dozen paces downwind. A knapweed thistle blossom scratched my neck. The unfamiliar grain of my new bow disturbed my concentration. A woman should be disciplined enough to remain absolutely quiet, but some demon in my lungs wanted me to gasp for air, making me feel like I was underwater. I tried to appease it with rapid, shallow breaths, but it clenched its claw around my heart. How embarrassing I was, fumbling an arrow onto my bowstring.

To my left, two brothers stalked past me in the direction of the Barkers’ campfire circle. They hunched low and held their bows out of the dirt in their left hands. The farther they advanced, the thinner their riverside cover grew. The lead, little Imeda, was only here because he insisted that this season he was old enough to join the warriors. Imeda’s older brother Lasha followed behind him, the two moving in unison, navigating the same route around sticky green milkvetch shrubs.

Soon Pop panther-crawled behind them, also barefoot. He wore a scratchy hemp skirt and a hide coat tied at the collar, leaving his chest bare. The coat was purely a defensive layer on this warm summer night. His old stone axe flailed back and forth in the sling on his back. The flint axe head was slotted into a birchwood handle and secured with sticky birch-tar and a rawhide lashing. Sharp veins covered its head, marking the forty places Pop had abraded the original flint blank with a round hammerstone. He hadn’t intended for the axe to be a weapon.

Pop saw my vantage point and my nocked arrow, but his eyes didn’t take in my face. He pursed his lips into a lopsided frown, same as the face he had made at the council meeting, yelling about the unnecessary dangers of this ambush. He must have concluded our position was strong because he pivoted toward the campfire and crawled away through the grass with a wrinkled grimace.

I hung back with Imeda’s two older sisters, who kept sweeping their hair away from their bows. We weren’t overly adept at hand-to-hand combat. Instead, as the only women, our role was to provide support from a distance. Plus, the tribal elders hoped we could provide adult supervision for the males.

I visualized embarking on a normal hunting trip with my tribe. I imagined we had been stalking red deer, and then crouching, and stalking and crouching for hours. That made for a familiar routine. Hunting game was a fun day’s work. Everyone had confidence in my aim and trusted that I could place an arrow where my quarry would succumb, would have to succumb, no matter how desperate it might be to survive. These Barking Men were big game animals just like any red deer. I could bag them. Failing that, we’d at least drive them out of our territory. We guarded our food sources with our lives.

I had shaken free of my demon; my breathing submitted to me again. My bare breasts and knees and unshod feet pressed into the overbaked dirt. The air around the soil smelled tangy from scat. I avoided the spines of defensive plants that wanted to be left alone.

My companions stopped fidgeting, one by one. They were all happy enough with their advanced positions. I closed my eyes and listened to the muffled splashing of Puluku Creek until my hands didn’t feel hurried. It was time. A scrubby juniper obstructed my view of the Barkers from this low-lying vantage, so I raised myself up halfway, just above the grass line, to scout my target.

I positioned my bow at full reach. The other huntresses nocked arrows as well. My blood pulsed in my throat as I scanned the backs of heads hidden in the grass on my left and then right. The campfire circle was one big target, hard to miss completely.

Exhale… Aim… Fire!

What do you look for in a beta?

This manuscript has gone through several revisions, and the biggest problem before has been the pacing in the opening. The next most valuable feedback would cover whether the emotional arc of the main character rings true. An ideal beta reader would be comfortable with character development involving a faith journey.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entry #2
Manuscript Title: Stone-Cut Gods

Hook:

Emgella defends her Bronze Age tribe against all outsiders. She scares off an intimidating band of poachers with just her bow and her desperate bravado. During the standoff, a warrior falls ill with debilitating seizures. Their Old Woman reveals that Emgella can sever this curse by performing a spell in a foreign city.

Emgella sneaks across the rooftops of one of Asia Minor’s first cities, learning how to blend in. The urban elites play by baffling new rules, as if modern society warped everyone’s minds. I don't understand this sentence particularly. Emgella discovers that the spell will create enemies mortals or immortals? strong enough to casually obliterate her people. A less devoted woman would return home empty-handed, but she can’t stand to fail expectations.

I'm with you on a plot level, mostly, though I'd like more specifics on those enemies. Character-wise, the situation is clear but I'm falling victim to vagueness there at the end--perhaps a by-product of the short format.

Main thing I lack, and I think I need, is a sense of world. You've got some cool details, but I'm having trouble picturing these futuristic Bronze Age cities, and figuring Emgella's relationship with them. The prospect of culture clash at the dawn of civilization is so promising I'm mostly grabbed anyway, but I feel like I'm missing some clear connective tissue to just situate everything.

First 750 words:

The Barking Men crouched around their campfire, spreading lies. Their carelessly loud stories mingled with the raspy noise that earned them their name. “Ark, aaarkhark!”

The tribes of the Barking Men claimed I was more wild animal than human. Idiotic Barkers. Obviously they were the ones making the animal sounds. No doubt you choose to side with them over me, but we both know you’re a lying dungheap.

I really like the voice but am also struggling a bit with the second-person intrusion. I always find 2nd leans on the fourth wall and, in the very far-off ancient history, that wall is a bit thicker. I don't feel like I'm there, so it's very weird when she addresses me.

I lay lower in my hiding spot in the grass, a few dozen paces downwind. A knapweed thistle blossom scratched my neck. The unfamiliar grain of my new bow disturbed my concentration. A woman should be disciplined enough to remain absolutely quiet, but some demon in my lungs wanted me to gasp for air, making me feel like I was underwater. I tried to appease it with rapid, shallow breaths, but it clenched its claw around my heart. How embarrassing I was, fumbling an arrow onto my bowstring. Not sure you need to jam these two clauses together.

To my left, two brothers stalked past me in the direction of the Barkers’ campfire circle. They hunched low and held their bows out of the dirt in their left hands. The farther they advanced, the thinner their riverside cover grew. The lead, little Imeda, was only here because he insisted that this season he was old enough to join the warriors. Imeda’s older brother Lasha followed behind him, the two moving in unison, navigating the same route around sticky green milkvetch shrubs.

Soon Pop Is this a name? Seems wildly out of place with the others. panther-crawled behind them, also barefoot. He wore a scratchy hemp skirt and a hide coat tied at the collar, leaving his chest bare. The coat was purely a defensive layer on this warm summer night. His old stone axe flailed back and forth in the sling on his back. The flint axe head was slotted into a birchwood handle and secured with sticky birch-tar and a rawhide lashing. Sharp veins covered its head, marking the forty places Pop had abraded the original flint blank with a round hammerstone. He hadn’t intended for the axe to be a weapon. But he's notching it with kills anyway? I wonder if this bit is more effective if you cut directly from "marking forty places" to "He hadn't intended the axe to be a weapon"? Get the two ideas closer together.

Pop saw my vantage point and my nocked arrow, but his eyes didn’t take in my face. He pursed his lips into a lopsided frown, same as the face he had made at the council meeting, yelling about the unnecessary dangers of this ambush. He must have concluded our position was strong because he pivoted toward the campfire and crawled away through the grass with a wrinkled grimace.

I hung back with Imeda’s two older sisters, who kept sweeping their hair away from their bows. Would they not tie it back? We weren’t overly adept at hand-to-hand combat. Instead, as the only women, our role was to provide support from a distance. Plus, the tribal elders hoped we could provide adult supervision for the males.

I visualized weird word choice--I've noticed a lot of really recent jargon or even neologisms, and there's a real risk they can break a setting like this. embarking on a normal hunting trip with my tribe. I imagined we had been why past perfect? stalking red deer, and then crouching, and stalking and crouching for hours. That made for a familiar routine. Hunting game was a fun day’s work. Everyone had confidence in my aim and trusted that I could place an arrow where my quarry would succumb, would have to succumb, no matter how desperate it might be to survive. These Barking Men were big game animals just like any red deer. I could bag them. E.g., "bag" here is a contemporary-ish hunting term. Hunter-gatherers aren't hauling meat back to a 4x4. Failing that, we’d at least drive them out of our territory. We guarded our food sources with our lives.

Generally the detailing and setting really have me, though. I like the meticulous pacing--gives me a neat window into the narrator without belabouring it.

I had shaken free of my demon; my breathing submitted to me again. My bare breasts and knees and unshod feet pressed into the overbaked dirt. The air around the soil smelled tangy from scat. I avoided the spines of defensive plants that wanted to be left alone.
My companions stopped fidgeting, one by one. They were all happy enough with their advanced positions. I closed my eyes and listened to the muffled splashing of Puluku Creek until my hands didn’t feel hurried. It was time. A scrubby juniper obstructed my view of the Barkers from this low-lying vantage, so I raised myself up halfway, just above the grass line, to scout my target.

Hasn't she been scouting them since the first line? And I thought she was supposed to be staying back? She seems to almost be leading this. I like the pacing, but it's very easy to slide into repetition when this is a good scene to just keep things moving and trust that I'll fill in what I need to.

I positioned my bow at full reach. The other huntresses nocked arrows as well. My blood pulsed in my throat as I scanned the backs of heads hidden in the grass on my left and then right. The campfire circle was one big target, hard to miss completely.

Exhale… Aim… Fire! I would prefer "shoot" as "fire" is associated with guns / gunpowder, but this is a small one.

This manuscript has gone through several revisions, and the biggest problem before has been the pacing in the opening. The next most valuable feedback would cover whether the emotional arc of the main character rings true. An ideal beta reader would be comfortable with character development involving a faith journey.

Well, this may or may not be helpful, but I like your pacing here! Quite a lot. It's subtle and strong characterization slipped right into a tense action scene. Really well done.

Just towards the end, I notice the scene is sliding into dalliance. There's quite a bit of tension here: she and her companions are stalking a kill, clearly out to defend their territory. Everything should be precise--but purposeful. No throat-clearing before the big attack. Just describe what happens. When it's a detail that drives that overall purpose, like checking her bow and her assessment of the Barkers--good, because it's relevant to attacking the camp. Anything that delays that = bad.

A smaller thing: I'm not quite clear on setting. You say Bronze Age in the hook, but then give me hunter-gatherers, which isn't necessarily unbelievable but my natural expectation is going to be Graeco-Roman (or possibly Israelite/Egyptian/Sumerian) so I'm a bit thrown off despite the fact it's completely reasonable to have people outside of those relatively small centres--indeed, that seems like the point--but maybe situate that a tiny bit more clearly? Might be a Chapter 2 thing, even, but I keep looking for clues and there aren't any here. It's kind of exciting but also a little bewildering.

Enjoyed this, though. Not my best genre so I'm not going to offer to beta but this is a strong opener that would get readers to read on.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Critiques on #2:

I like this. I get an instant image as to what your world looks like/

The tribes of the Barking Men claimed I was more wild animal than human. Idiotic Barkers. Obviously they were the ones making the animal sounds. No doubt you choose to side with them over me, but we both know you’re a lying dungheap. I'm confused here. Who is the protagonist talking to? I'd assume not me, personally, since clearly I have no idea who either party is. (And like to think I'm not a lying dungheap, LOL) I think this is a challenge with 2nd person POV. I'm not really sure who the audience for this is, other than that I know it's not me (personally).

I lay lower in my hiding spot in the grass, a few dozen paces downwind. A knapweed thistle blossom scratched my neck. The unfamiliar grain of my new bow disturbed my concentration. A woman should be disciplined enough to remain absolutely quiet, but some demon in my lungs wanted me to gasp for air, making me feel like I was underwater. I tried to appease it with rapid, shallow breaths, but it clenched its claw around my heart. How embarrassing I was, fumbling an arrow onto my bowstring.

I love these descriptions, but I'm curious as to what the protagonist is trying to do. Kill the Barking Men? (Why? I get that she dislikes them, but what did they do - specifically - to make her hate them? Even just a throw away line would help.) Scare them? Hunt for a rabbit that happens to be near them, while avoiding detection? Something entirely different?

Soon Pop panther-crawled behind them, also barefoot. He wore a scratchy hemp skirt and a hide coat tied at the collar, leaving his chest bare. The coat was purely a defensive layer on this warm summer night. His old stone axe flailed back and forth in the sling on his back. The flint axe head was slotted into a birchwood handle and secured with sticky birch-tar and a rawhide lashing. Sharp veins covered its head, marking the forty places Pop had abraded the original flint blank with a round hammerstone. He hadn’t intended for the axe to be a weapon.

Pop saw my vantage point and my nocked arrow, but his eyes didn’t take in my face. He pursed his lips into a lopsided frown, same as the face he had made at the council meeting, yelling about the unnecessary dangers of this ambush. Okay, so assuming they do want to kill the Barking Men. But still not sure *why*. He must have concluded our position was strong because he pivoted toward the campfire and crawled away through the grass with a wrinkled grimace.

I hung back with Imeda’s two older sisters, who kept sweeping their hair away from their bows. We weren’t overly adept at hand-to-hand combat. Instead, as the only women, our role was to provide support from a distance. Plus, the tribal elders hoped we could provide adult supervision for the males. This seems like a modern comment. Without context, it comes off as anachronistic. (At least to me, where I'd assume that women are in a secondary women to men in this society, at least as far as war goes, based on the earlier thoughts.)

I visualized embarking on a normal hunting trip with my tribe. I imagined we had been stalking red deer, and then crouching, and stalking and crouching for hours. That made for a familiar routine. Hunting game was a fun day’s work. Everyone had confidence in my aim and trusted that I could place an arrow where my quarry would succumb, would have to succumb, no matter how desperate it might be to survive. These Barking Men were big game animals just like any red deer. I could bag them. Failing that, we’d at least drive them out of our territory. We guarded our food sources with our lives. This paragraph feels like a digression from the above. I'm not sure that we need this particular information now.

Exhale… Aim… Fire!

I love the description in this story. I get such a sense of time and place, which I really, really love.

With that said, I have no idea of the *why* of all of it. I *think* I get that the protagonist is trying to kill the Barking Men, but I don't have any real sense as to why she'd want to do this. Have they threatened her tribe? Killed someone in it? Sexually assualted her? Someone else? Killed her dog? Stolen her dog?

I think some sense as to what she's trying to do (and how it will likely relate to events beyond the course of the first few pages of the story) would help me put these wonderful, vivid descriptions in context.

Best of luck with revisions!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

Hook:

Emgella defends her Bronze Age tribe against all outsiders. She scares off an intimidating band of poachers with just her bow and her desperate bravado. During the standoff, a warrior [Opposition or friend? I'm assuming friend because she seems to set off on a mission to help him. Perhaps an indication of their relationship, such as "her best friend and warrior..."] falls ill with debilitating seizures. Their Old Woman reveals that Emgella can sever this curse by performing a spell in a foreign city.

Emgella sneaks across the rooftops of one of Asia Minor’s first cities, learning how to blend in. The urban elites play by baffling new rules, as if modern society warped everyone’s minds. [These baffling rules seem a little opposed to the previous sentence which indicates she's easily fitting in by learning, and I don't get a specific way these rules stand between her and her goal of acquiring a cure. Perhaps something like: Emgella sneaks across the rooftops... in search of a cure, but the baffling culture of urban elites causes X.]

Emgella discovers that the spell will create enemies strong enough to casually [Suggestion: strike "casually." It softens the impact of her people being obliterated. Like... "the planet was just casually hit by a meteor and all of humanity perished."] obliterate her people. [In the previous chapter, it caused a seizure. There wasn't any indication that it came with super-power side effects. Perhaps in that first paragraph something like "...falls ill with debilitating seizures that cause her best friend to do X."]

A less devoted woman would return home empty-handed, but she can’t stand to fail expectations. [Excellent premise! Can we strengthen the stakes here a bit? I'm willing to bet there's more at risk than just her ego if she fails. If she doesn't break this curse...]

First 750 words:

The tribes of the Barking Men claimed I was more wild animal than human. Idiotic Barkers. Obviously they were the ones making the animal sounds. No doubt you choose to side with them over me, but we both know you’re a lying dungheap. [You do a great job below of describing her fellow warriors. There's as great chance here to add some physical description of the Barkers in a way that would also do a little world-building. Does she hate the pelts they wear? Is she offended by their smell?]

Soon Pop [Is this her biological father / grandfather?] panther-crawled behind them, also barefoot. He wore a scratchy hemp skirt and a hide coat tied at the collar, leaving his chest bare. The coat was purely a defensive layer on this warm summer night. His old stone axe flailed back and forth in the sling on his back. The flint axe head was slotted into a birchwood handle and secured with sticky birch-tar and a rawhide lashing. Sharp veins covered its head, marking the forty places Pop had abraded the original flint blank with a round hammerstone. He hadn’t intended for the axe to be a weapon. [I paused here because the narrative raised a few questions. There's a specific detail here about the abrading of the axe head. I'm not sure if it indicates something I'll need in the future, so my reader-brain hangs onto that. In the next sentence I see that it isn't intended to use as a weapon - so then I wonder why he's using it. I'm also missing a bit of tension and suspense here, because I'm not sure what her goal is yet. From the cover blurb, I might know she's a warrior - but what's the specific problem? Do Barkers raid their food stores? Steal their kids? Mortal enemies for generations? Do they play loud country music too late at night?]

Pop saw my vantage point and my nocked arrow, but his eyes didn’t take in my face. [What does he look at instead? Looking past her? Scanning the horizon?] He pursed his lips into a lopsided frown, same as the face he had made at the council meeting, yelling about the unnecessary dangers of this ambush. [Great bit of info. Pop doesn't want to be here. Is that why he brought the wrong weapon? Or is he generally not equipped for this? Once I know why they're going after the Barkers, this hint at internal conflict will help set up some tension.] He must have concluded our position was strong because he pivoted toward the campfire and crawled away through the grass with a wrinkled grimace. [Or is he sabotaging the mission, because he wasn't into it at the meeting? His retreat with a grimace doesn't indicate to me that he has confidence in our position to attack. A thumbs up might do that - but not retreat with a grimace.]

I hung back with Imeda’s two older sisters, who kept sweeping their hair away from their bows. We weren’t overly adept at hand-to-hand combat. Instead, as the only women, our role was to provide support from a distance. Plus, the tribal elders hoped we could provide adult supervision for the males. [In what way? What do the males tend to do that puts them at risk? Just the younger males? The name Pop conjures for me an image of a grandfatherly figure, who doesn't strike me as someone needing supervision - so a specific example of what behavior she has to prevent would help form a solid picture.]

I visualized embarking on a normal hunting trip with my tribe. I imagined we had been stalking red deer, and then crouching, and stalking and crouching for hours. That made for a familiar routine. Hunting game was a fun day’s work. Everyone had confidence in my aim and trusted that I could place an arrow where my quarry would succumb, would have to succumb, no matter how desperate it might be to survive. These Barking Men were big game animals just like any red deer. I could bag them. Failing that, we’d at least drive them out of our territory. We guarded our food sources with our lives. [Oooh - this is good, helpful scene-setting stuff. I suggest moving this up and perhaps playing it out in dialog.]

I had shaken [shook?] free of my demon; my breathing submitted to me again. My bare breasts and knees and unshod feet pressed into the overbaked dirt. The air around the soil smelled tangy from scat. I avoided the spines of defensive plants that wanted to be left alone.

My companions stopped fidgeting, one by one. They were all happy enough with their advanced positions. [How does she know this? Slight verge into head-hopping here. Do they give a signal that they're ready? That kind of interaction can draw us into the scene even more and heighten tension.] I closed my eyes and listened to the muffled splashing of Puluku Creek until my hands didn’t feel hurried. It was time. A scrubby juniper obstructed my view of the Barkers from this low-lying vantage, so I raised myself up halfway, just above the grass line, to scout my target.

Exhale… Aim… Fire!

Notes:
  • I know this is only 750 words and not your full first chapter, so it's a little hard to give more thorough feedback about how the arc is set up. In just what I can see here, I can tell that as a woman she is relegated to a lesser role in the battle (though in the pitch it sounded more like she was in charge) and I can sense that something in about battle is about to change her world, but I don't get a strong sense from just these 750 words about what her Ultimate Want is long-term, though, or how her world will be turned upside down.
  • I'm a bit distanced from the action, motivation, and feelings. I'm not sure what the overall goal of this mission is, how she feels about that goal, what about her life need changing, and how she's emotionally reacting to the scene. It feels as if she's glancing around and seeing things: What Pop is doing, what he's carrying, how the boys are moving, what the Barkers are doing, the plants around her. But I'm not with her in the feelings of the moment. She tells me her pulse races, but I don't know why. I think those feelings will help with that pacing.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entry #2

Hook:

It's just a little difficult to follow the paragraph above because we move from global statements (she always defend her tribe?) to what sounds like the inciting incident, but I'm not sure. Was the warrior with the seizure on Emgella's side or the other side?

Emgella sneaks across the rooftops of one of Asia Minor’s first cities, learning how to blend in.
Ooo, cool premise. Bronze age warrior exploring an early city.

The urban elites play by baffling new rules, as if modern society warped everyone’s minds. Could we get a tiny bit of specific info here? Emgella discovers that the spell will create enemies strong enough to casually obliterate her people. A less devoted woman would return home empty-handed, but she can’t stand to fail expectations.

I want just a bit more info about what Emgella actually does in the city.

First 750 words:

I don't think we need the "Ark, aaarkhark." It doesn't fit with the "raspy" word that came earlier, to me.

I'm already intrigued, but I would like your POV character to be integrated into the scene earlier, because I need the orientation.

I lay lower in my hiding spot in the grass, a few dozen paces downwind. A knapweed thistle blossom scratched my neck. The unfamiliar grain of my new bow disturbed my concentration. A woman should be disciplined enough to remain absolutely quiet, but some demon in my lungs wanted me to gasp for air, making me feel like I was underwater. I tried to appease it with rapid, shallow breaths, but it clenched its claw around my heart. How embarrassing embarrassed? I was, fumbling an arrow onto my bowstring.

To my left, two brothers stalked past me in the direction of the Barkers’ campfire circle. They hunched low and held their bows out of the dirt in their left hands. The farther they advanced, the thinner their riverside cover grew. The lead, little Imeda, was only here because he insisted that this season he was old enough to join the warriors. Imeda’s older brother, Lasha, followed behind him. The two moved in unison, navigating the same route around sticky green milkvetch shrubs.

I'm unclear who is on whose side. Are the brothers Barking Men? She seems familiar with them, so I'm assuming not. But then she seems to know the Barking Men too.

Soon Pop panther-crawled behind them, also barefoot. He's crawling behind the brothers? But they're not crawling? Now I'm assuming the brothers aren't on Emgella's side. He wore a scratchy hemp skirt and a hide coat tied at the collar, leaving his chest bare. The coat was purely a defensive layer on this warm summer night. His old stone axe flailed back and forth in the sling on his back. The flint axe head was slotted into a birchwood handle and secured with sticky birch-tar and a rawhide lashing. Sharp veins covered its head, marking the forty places Pop had abraded the original flint blank with a round hammerstone. He hadn’t intended for the axe to be a weapon.

Pop saw my vantage point and my nocked arrow, but his eyes didn’t take in my face. Does he know she's there? He pursed his lips into a lopsided frown, same as the face he had made at the council meeting, yelling about the unnecessary dangers of this ambush. He must have concluded our position was strong because he pivoted toward the campfire and crawled away through the grass with a wrinkled grimace.

I hung back with Imeda’s two older sisters, who kept sweeping their hair away from their bows. We weren’t overly adept at hand-to-hand combat. Instead, as the only women, our role was to provide support from a distance. Plus, the tribal elders hoped we could provide adult supervision for the males.

I visualized embarking on a normal hunting trip with my tribe. I imagined we had been stalking red deer, and then crouching, and stalking and crouching for hours. That made for a familiar routine. Hunting game was a fun day’s work. Everyone had confidence in my aim and trusted that I could place an arrow where my quarry would succumb, would have to succumb, no matter how desperate it might be to survive. These Barking Men were big game animals just like any red deer. I could bag them. Failing that, we’d at least drive them out of our territory. We guarded our food sources with our lives.

I had shaken free of my demon; my breathing submitted to me again. My bare breasts and knees and unshod feet pressed into the overbaked dirt. The air around the soil smelled tangy from scat. I avoided the spines of defensive plants that wanted to be left alone. I like these sensory details.

Exhale… Aim… Fire!

I like the setting and I like the internal dialogue of your POV character very much! There are a few places that seem over-written to me personally (words you could cut without changing the meaning at all), I marked some of those with strike-throughs. I'm a little unclear about a couple of things:

1. her group's immediate goal. I get the impression that the Barker's have strayed into this group's territory and they're trying to drive them off, but the fact that the Barking Men seem to know her personally (more wild animal than human) makes me think they have a longer-standing relationship so I'm not sure about the purpose of this hostile interaction from that. I don't think it would take much to clarify the context.

2. I don't have a perfect sense of everyone's position. I get that Pop and the brothers, whose names she knows, are all moving closer to the Barkers while she and the sisters are farther away hiding in the grass, but I can't visualize the whole scene, like where the brothers are trying to get to. I don't know that anything was particularly unclear, it's just a lot of names and information while still getting bearings.

3. Finally, whose choice was it to fire? It seems like she's the one making the decision to start the offensive, but if that's been decided ahead of time, that it's her job to loose the first shot, I'd like that to be clearer before it happens.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entry #2

Manuscript Title:
Stone-Cut Gods

Hook:

Emgella sneaks across the rooftops of one of Asia Minor’s first cities, learning how to blend in. The urban elites play by baffling new rules, as if modern society warped everyone’s minds. Emgella discovers that the spell will create enemies strong enough to casually obliterate her people. A less devoted woman would return home empty-handed, but she can’t stand to fail expectations.

(In my opinion, the pitch will need a little work before you approach agents. There’s nice escalation, but I’m a bit confused about Emgella’s story arc, and I don’t have a good handle on her character. There are extraneous details, which lead to some confusion. However, for the purposes of the beta project I do have a sense of genre and who the main character is.)

First 750 words:

I like the sensory details, and the anchoring into place. The voice is strong. The open is tense. All good.

hunched
and stalked are two different images. Bit of a mismatch—I’m not certain what you’re showing about them.

I disbelieve he would allow the axe to flail about given they are so worried about making noise.

^^This paragraph is edging into too much exposition for me, as a reader. Also, the tension of an imminent attack is undercut by having your protagonist wish they were somewhere less exciting.

Occasional words can be struck to tighten the prose (it's already nicely tight), and I’m getting a sense of you trying to make sure I see every detail… I’m not certain that’s optimized, assuming those details are important. Some can be rearranged. For example I’d stick the two sisters immediately after ‘a few dozen paces downwind.’ I don’t believe these archers would wear their hair loose, if they are experienced.

About half of the above paragraph feels unnecessary to me. I assume her breathing has steadied by now. I do like the sense of smell here. I feel we’ve already established plenty about the plants, and more is about to come, so … enough!

Exhale… Aim… Fire!

Overall this is a nice opening sequence. You’ve given us a good sense of place, anchoring us with an immediate goal. There is nice tension and promised conflict. I think more can be tightened, but it’s probably not necessary—and other parts of the manuscript may be in greater need of your attention. This feels pretty good.