• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Entry #17 - Beta Project 2014

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: (In)Human
Manuscript Genre: paranormal YA (I know, I'm crazy to be writing that right now...)
Manuscript Word Count: 62133
Is your manuscript finished?: Y

Hook:

Case Bennett is eighteen, socially awkward, and possibly the world’s first vegetarian werewolf. After prom night ends in an attack from an unusually large dog, the doctors and nurses at the hospital ignore her abnormally fast recovery, crediting the medicine and encouraging her to attend a "special support group" for her condition - advice the antisocial teen ignores until the day her English teacher becomes a panther to prove a point.

Case soon finds herself caught between two rival packs who are only too willing to kill her if she fails to fit in with one or the other. Worse, random attacks like the one Case suffered are not only continuing, but getting more public - and more lethal - and each pack is quick to blame the other. Case must battle both her anxiety and the paranormal as she struggles to find her place in this new, feral world.

First 750 words:

Case Bennett spent her last night as a human wearing dirty red converse shoes under a pink formal gown that was pushing Glenda-the-good-witch levels of sparkle and puff.
Had she known it was her last night as a human, okay, yeah, she probably would have dressed better.

It was the night of prom. A chilly spring day had turned into a chillier spring evening, and the moon stretched, high and full and clear in the cold Alabama sky above the eighteen-year-old as she sat in the back of her daddy’s pickup and tried not to shiver or cry or just give up and drive home. Her mouth tasted like garlic and onions and cinnamon gum after the pre-prom dinner, and the air was heavy with the smell of fresh cut grass and exhaust off the nearby highway. Case took a deep breath, and it shuddered going out.

Out here she could just barely pick up the beat of the sound system inside the auditorium. It mingled with the sounds of the highway and the wind in the pines that surrounded the school, making her feel detached from the familiar tune, like it was the soundtrack from a movie playing in another room, and not part of her life at all.

She felt so stupid. She’d never been interested in things like prom, but she’d let herself be convinced by all those who said she would regret it if she never went. She hadn’t thought about the fact these kinds of things always inevitably left her feeling left out and pathetic. In effect, she’d saved up for months to afford a ridiculous dress and some truly frightening suck-in-the-fat undergarments just for the privilege of laying in the cold in the bed of a pickup feeling sorry for herself. Hell. Stop it.

The anxiety was something she’d suffered for years. A private something, thank you very much, that no one needed to know about. She could handle it. She just needed – needed – hell. It was like one of those cartoons with the angel and the demon on either shoulder. On the one hand she knew she was responsible for her own good time. Of course she wasn’t going to have fun if she isolated herself from the group she had come with, refused to dance, and had a bad attitude. On the other hand she felt sure that no one really wanted her there, that they were all privately laughing that she’d gotten excited and dressed up just like one of the pretty girls, and that she would only ruin their good time if she forced herself on them.

After all, no one had even noticed when she left.

Hell.

Stop it.

Case took another deep breath. She told herself the shuddering was from the cold. She wasn’t going to cry. Okay. She wished she was at home on the couch in her pajamas with her parents. God, that was pathetic. Get up. Stop being stupid.

Her scary undergarments jabbed into her ribs as she began to sit up, and for a moment she struggled like a cartoon turtle stuck on its back as she tried to convince the thick corset-y materiel to bend. She stepped on the hem of her dress and heard it rip when she finally gained her feet. Hell. Yanking up the skirts, she began to climb over the tailgate.

“Hey!”

Case jerked, wobbled, and nearly fell off. She looked around the parking lot, hope and warmth sparking. Someone had come looking for her after all. She was – no, no, they hadn’t. The voice belonged to one of the teens in an unsteady cluster making their way to the back of the parking lot. They were laughing and shouting, jumping on one another, shoving, cussing, having the best time of their lives. They hadn’t seen her.

Case jumped down and leaned against the back of the truck, rubbing her bare arms against the chill. Hell. She could still go home. She would need to tell the group she’d come with though, probably. They’d eventually realize she was missing. Trevor and his boyfriend, Marcia and Robin from drama, Kim from English. They could all fit in one car without her, so it wouldn’t cause any trouble.

The group at the other end of the parking lot gave a loud hoot, and then a roar of laughter. It took Case a minute to spot what they were looking at: a cluster of three or four large dogs in the shadows at the edge of the school building.

What do you look for in a beta?:

Primarily, someone who will give me an honest reaction to the story. In the past when I've had someone read my work I get 'it's good', and have to dig and beg for more. I need to know what works and what doesn't.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Genre: paranormal YA (I know, I'm crazy to be writing that right now...) Nah, just call it fantasy. Unless it's PR, and that's different.

Hook:

Case Bennett is eighteen, socially awkward, and possibly the world’s first vegetarian werewolf. Like it! The only thing you might consider is somehow getting a "she" into this beginning because it took another half of a sentence before I stopped picturing Case as a boy After prom night ends in an attack from an unusually large dog, the doctors and nurses at the hospital ignore her abnormally fast recovery, crediting the medicine and encouraging her to attend a "special support group" for her condition - advice the antisocial teen ignores until the day her English teacher becomes a panther to prove a point. Details here when you get to querying.

Case soon finds herself caught between two rival packs who are only too willing to kill her if she fails to fit in with one or the other. Worse, random attacks like the one Case suffered are not only continuing, but getting more public - and more lethal - and each pack is quick to blame the other. Case must battle both her anxiety and the paranormal as she struggles to find her place in this new, feral world.

Overall, I think this is a pretty good hook.

First 750 words:

Case Bennett spent her last night as a human wearing dirty red This is either "dirty-red" or "dirty, red" depending on if the shoes are dirty or the color is. And I'm going to stop commaing (Yes, I'm verbifying a noun) between your double adjectives, but there should be a comma there or possibly one less adjective. Converse shoes under a pink formal gown that was pushing Glenda-the-good-witch levels of sparkle and puff.

Had she known it was her last night as a human, okay, yeah, she probably would have dressed better. This is great because this gives us a little insight into her personality. The Glenda-the-good-witch look is clearly not her (although I wonder how she got talked into that dress, then)

It was the night of prom. A chilly spring day had turned into a chillier spring evening, and the moon stretched, high and full and clear in the cold Alabama sky above the eighteen-year-old as she sat in the back of her daddy’s pickup and tried not to shiver or cry or just give up and drive home. Her mouth tasted like garlic and onions and cinnamon gum after the pre-prom dinner, and the air was heavy with the smell of fresh-cut grass and exhaust off the nearby highway. Case took a deep breath, and it shuddered going out.

Out here she could just barely pick up the beat of the sound system inside the auditorium. It mingled with the sounds of the highway and the wind in the pines that surrounded the school, making her feel detached from the familiar tune, like it was the soundtrack from a movie playing in another room, and not part of her life at all.

She felt so stupid. She’d never been interested in things like prom, but she’d let herself be convinced by all those I'd like a noun here who said she would regret it if she never went. She hadn’t thought about the fact these kinds of things always inevitably left her feeling left out and pathetic. In effect, she’d saved up for months to afford a ridiculous dress and some truly frightening suck-in-the-fat undergarments just for the privilege of laying in the cold in the bed of a pickup feeling sorry for herself. Hell. Stop it.

The anxiety was something she’d suffered for years. A private something, thank you very much, that no one needed to know about. She could handle it. She just needed – Should this maybe be an ellipsis instead? needed – hell. It was like one of those cartoons with the angel and the demon on either shoulder. On the one hand, she knew she was responsible for her own good time. Of course she wasn’t going to have fun if she isolated herself from the group she had come with, refused to dance, and had a bad attitude. On the other hand, she felt sure that no one really wanted her there, that they were all privately laughing that she’d gotten excited and dressed up just like one of the pretty girls, and that she would only ruin their good time if she forced herself on them.

After all, no one had even noticed when she left.

Hell.

Stop it.

Case took another deep breath. She told herself the shuddering was from the cold. She wasn’t going to cry. Okay. She wished she was at home on the couch in her pajamas with her parents. God, that was pathetic. Get up. Stop being stupid.

Her scary undergarments jabbed into her ribs as she began to sit up, and for a moment she struggled like a cartoon turtle stuck on its back as she tried to convince the thick corset-y materiel to bend. She stepped on the hem of her dress and heard it rip when she finally gained her feet. Hell. Yanking up the skirts, she began to climb over the tailgate.

“Hey!”

Case jerked, wobbled, and nearly fell off. She looked around the parking lot, hope and warmth sparking. Someone had come looking for her after all. She was – no, no, they hadn’t. The voice belonged to one of the teens in an unsteady cluster making their way to the back of the parking lot. They were laughing and shouting, jumping on one another, shoving, cussing, having the best time of their lives. They hadn’t seen her.

Case jumped down and leaned against the back of the truck, rubbing her bare arms against the chill. Hell. She could still go home. She would need to tell the group she’d come with though, probably. They’d eventually realize she was missing. Trevor and his boyfriend, Marcia and Robin from drama, Kim from English. They could all fit in one car without her, so it wouldn’t cause any trouble. But didn't they probably take 2 cars up if she had been an extra person upon coming?

The group at the other end of the parking lot gave a loud hoot, and then a roar of laughter. It took Case a minute to spot what they were looking at: a cluster of three or four large dogs in the shadows at the edge of the school building.

So. "Hell." and "Hell. Stop it." At first, as I skimmed through this, I kinda liked the repetition of it, but as I read it more slowly, I realized I had no sense of how your MC is thinking this "hell." The period is throwing me off. Also throwing me off is that fact that the "Hell. Stop it."s aren't italicized like they're her thoughts. Since this is 3rd person, not 1st, it sounds like we're jumping voice.

"She just needed – needed – hell. It was like one of those" Assuming those dashes are meant to be trailing off, I want to read it like this: She just needed... needed... Hell, it was like one of those". But what you have here is "hell" being part of "she just needed" She needed hell? What work is "hell" doing? I think what's weird about it is that you don't see it as it's own sentence as an expletive that much compared to other words like shit and damn and crap. More often than not, you see it as an interjection, such as in the example above. I like the second "Hell. Stop it" as a repetition of the first, but the first seemed jarring to me.

Overall, I thought this was pretty good. I feel for Case, having similar social anxiety as her, especially as a teen. And the hook sounds intriguing, although I rarely do werewolf books.

Good luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Case Bennett spent her last night as a human wearing dirty red converse shoes under a pink formal gown that was pushing Glenda-the-good-witch levels of sparkle and puff. Love.
Had she known it was her last night as a human, okay, yeah, she probably would have dressed better. Um, sounds like she was dressed awesomely?

It was the night of prom. Yeah, I figured, but this add-on is a little ho-hum. Can you show me this some other way? A chilly spring day had turned into a chillier spring evening, and the moon stretched, high and full and clear in the cold Alabama sky above the eighteen-year-old as she sat in the back of her daddy’s pickup and tried not to shiver or cry or just give up and drive home. Her mouth tasted like garlic and onions and cinnamon gum after the pre-prom dinner, and the air was heavy with the smell of fresh cut grass and exhaust off the nearby highway. Case took a deep breath, and it shuddered going out. I'm totally with you on this. Your description is thick here, but it's good, so I'm still all in.

Out here, she could just barely pick up the beat of the sound system inside the auditorium. It mingled with the sounds of the highway and the wind in the pines that surrounded the school, making her feel detached from the familiar tune, like it was the soundtrack from a movie playing in another room, and not part of her life at all. <-- I get what you're going for, but it's falling a little flat for me. First, it's really similar to a movie in a other room, it's a song in another building... but I feel like you're trying to tell me it's familiar but disembodied, and playing like a soundtrack.

She felt so stupid. Felt? Your tone had been pretty close to Case at other points. "She was so dumb" or maybe she felt foolish, etc. She’d never been interested in things like prom, but she’d let herself be convinced by all those All those who? By her friends? By the talk by the lockers? who said she would regret it if she never went. She hadn’t thought about the fact these kinds of things always inevitably left Made her? Had her? just trying to avoid a left-left repeat. her feeling left out and pathetic. In effect, reality? she’d saved up for months to afford a ridiculous dress and some truly frightening suck-in-the-fat undergarments just for the privilege of laying in the cold in the bed of a pickup feeling sorry for herself. Awesome, loving this Hell. Stop it. This seems random, and not in a good way, more in a Tourettes way.
The anxiety was something she’d suffered for years. A private something, thank you very much, that no one needed to know about. She could handle it. She just needed – needed – hell. It was like one of those cartoons with the angel and the demon on either shoulder. On the one hand she knew she was responsible for her own good time. Of course she wasn’t going to have fun if she isolated herself from the group she had come with, refused to dance, and had a bad attitude. On the other hand she felt sure that no one really wanted her there, that they were all privately laughing that she’d gotten excited and dressed up just like one of the pretty girls, and that she would only ruin their good time if she forced herself on them.

After all, no one had even noticed when she left. All of this is really great. I'm engaged, I'm totally feeling her on this.

Hell. Yeah, tourettes.

Stop it.

Case took another deep breath. She told herself the shuddering was from the cold. She wasn’t going to cry. Okay. She wished she was at home on the couch in her pajamas with her parents. God, that was pathetic. Get up. Stop being stupid. This works of me a lot more than the Hell/Stop it thing.

Her scary undergarments jabbed into her ribs as she began to sit up, and for a moment she struggled like a cartoon turtle stuck on its back as she tried to convince the thick corset-y materiel to bend. She stepped on the hem of her dress and heard it rip when she finally gained her feet. Hell. Yanking up the skirts, she began to climb over the tailgate. I'm totally feeling her struggle.

“Hey!”

Case jerked, wobbled, and nearly fell off the truck. She looked around the parking lot, hope and warmth sparking. Someone had come looking for her after all. She was – no, no, they hadn’t. I get where the "she was" is going, but it's too short to work. Either give me more, like "she had been missed and they wanted her-- no, they hadn't" or just go with it faster, more Yes!/No. The voice belonged to one of the teens in an unsteady cluster making their way to the back of the parking lot. They were laughing and shouting, jumping on one another, shoving, cussing, having the best time of their lives. They hadn’t seen her. They didn't even know she was out there. "Seen" wouldn't change it much, you know?

Case managed to jumped down and leaned against the back of the truck, rubbing her bare arms against the chill. Hell. She could still go home. She would need to tell the group sounds distant, "the people" or maybe "the friends" she’d come with though, probably. 'though, probably,' is awkward They’d eventually realize she was missing. Trevor and his boyfriend, Marcia and Robin from drama, Kim from English. They could all fit in one car without her, so it wouldn’t cause any trouble.

The group at the other end of the parking lot gave a loud hoot, and then a roar of laughter. It took Case a minute to spot what they were looking at: a cluster of three or four large dogs in the shadows at the edge of the school building. yeeeeessss.

I really really really enjoyed this. I totally feel Case, and I thought her tone was really fun. The Hell/Stop it thing... I don't know what that is. I kept waiting for that to link to something, and maybe it does later and it doesn't do it yet.

I'm in. This is fun, I like the tone, I like Case, and I'm so ready for werewolves and awesome. I can see the plot starting just up ahead, and I really like everything I'm getting from the open.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Genre: paranormal YA (I know, I'm crazy to be writing that right now...)

Hook:

Case Bennett is eighteen, socially awkward, and possibly the world’s first vegetarian werewolf. After prom night ends in an attack from an unusually large dog, the doctors and nurses at the hospital ignore her abnormally fast recovery, crediting the medicine and encouraging her to attend a "special support group" for her condition - advice the antisocial teen ignores until the day her English teacher becomes a panther to prove a point.

First 750 words:

Case Bennett spent her last night as a human wearing dirty red converse shoes under a pink formal gown that was pushing Glenda-the-good-witch levels of sparkle and puff.
Had she known it was her last night as a human, okay, yeah, she probably would have dressed better. I get what you are going for when I read it out loud. However, reading this on the page just comes off awkward.

It was the night of prom. A chilly spring day had turned into a chillier spring evening, and the moon stretched, high and full and clear in the cold Alabama sky above the eighteen-year-old as she sat in the back of her daddy’s pickup and tried not to shiver or cry or just give up and drive home. Her mouth tasted like garlic and onions and cinnamon gum after the pre-prom dinner, and the air was heavy with the smell of fresh cut grass and exhaust off the nearby highway. Case took a deep breath, and it shuddered going out.

She felt so stupid. She’d never been interested in things like prom, but she’d let herself be convinced by all those who said she would regret it if she never went. She hadn’t thought about the fact these kinds of things always inevitably left her feeling left out and pathetic. In effect, This sounds cold and distant. Is there something else you can say that infuses the same personality we've seen so far without being so.... blah? she’d saved up for months to afford a ridiculous dress and some truly frightening suck-in-the-fat undergarments just for the privilege of laying in the cold in the bed of a pickup feeling sorry for herself. Hell. Stop it.

After all, no one had even noticed when she left.Until this was said, I had no idea where she was. I thought she was waiting to go to the prom rather than hiding outside.

Hell. This stopping and cursing already feels overdone. It's probably because it was done so close together without really letting it breath, but it makes Case come off a bit hostile.

Stop it.

Case took another deep breath. She told herself the shuddering was from the cold. She wasn’t going to cry. Okay. She wished she was at home on the couch in her pajamas with her parents. God, that was pathetic. Get up. Stop being stupid. Is this usually in italics? This is jarring. This story is omniscent correct. I'm assuming so based off the first paragraph. That said, I can't tell if these thoughts are the omniscent narrarator's or Case's. I'm guessing it is Case's in which case italics may help make this more clear.

“Hey!”

Case jumped down and leaned against the back of the truck, rubbing her bare arms against the chill. Hell. She could still go home. She would need to tell the group she’d come with though, probably. They’d eventually realize she was missing. Trevor and his boyfriend, Marcia and Robin from drama, Kim from English. They could all fit in one car without her, so it wouldn’t cause any trouble. Are these people friends? I'd think they'd recognize one of their ranks missing. Then again, if they weren't friends, that's a different story. From what I'm reading, I can't tell if she has bad friends or if she just tagged along.

At the end of this, I'm not sure if this is Omniscent or Third Person. Normally I wouldn't care much, but with the shift there's also a shift in tone.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entry # 17

I love werewolves! Just getting that out of the way.

This opening hit me directly in my sad, introverted feelings. I think you really nailed that sense of loneliness and isolation that comes when everyone else is having fun and you’ve been forgotten. That felt totally genuine and very sympathetic. Love her lying in the back of the pickup truck in her prom dress listening to the music. That moment when she thinks someone has come looking for her but it turns out they haven’t even noticed her is painful. Ack! Right in the feelings.

I’m really liking the crisp writing and vivid description. I’d consider cutting down on Case conversing with herself - I think we’re reaching too obviously for the reader’s sympathy at times. It’s sad enough that she’s wishing she was in her pajamas with her parents without also telling herself that she’s pathetic and stupid. (Her dialogue with herself is also repetitive at times - the word “hell” is repeated five times in these 750 words, and she tells herself to “stop” three times.)

I’m not in love with the opening two paragraphs about the dress - it’s generic YA sassiness whereas the rest of the opening is more unusual and touching. Case seems to have a quieter, sadder, more unsure voice and I’d be cautious about making her sound the same as every other YA protagonist. Consider stripping the attitude from this part.

I’m also not wild about the hook, which I worry feels generic - I’ve seen mysterious attacks and rival packs before. I’m not sure if the hook communicates how genuine and moving Case’s social anxiety is.

If I picked this book up, I’d definitely read on. Please tell me there’s a heartwarming ending.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, #17! I did the last crit in this thread and would love to beta read. No swap necessary. Love, #15. :)