• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Entry #15 (NA SpecFic) - Beta Project 2019

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: Sisters (Novella)
Manuscript Genre: Science fantasy (think ~ Pern); New adult/Coming of Age
Manuscript Word Count: ~17,500
Is your manuscript finished?: Y
Any trigger warnings? Some M/F sex—but honestly you’ll probably be bothered by the low detail rather than too much

Hook:

On planet Turaset, seventeen-year-old Celeste bakes another batch of muffins and fantasizes of life in the city. She’d abandon her parents’ miserable country inn in a hot second given half a chance. So, when she learns that Narona’s central university is offering classes to country folk, she sees her opportunity. She convinces Mama to help persuade Papa to sign her up.

Celeste soaks up city life and adulthood with gusto. She asks out a handsome young city boy, he says ‘yes,’ and soon they’re discovering Narona together and spending nights in one another’s arms. Life back home could never teach her what Anson can!

But love sours when Celeste begins to suspect that she’s just a country novelty to Anson. Narona’s different, but with no family will it ever feel like home? Celeste must choose between the safety of country tradition, and an uncertain future in a wildly different culture.

First 750 words:

Celeste pushed through the crowds, swells of rain hitting her shoulders in endless bursts. Chill worked under her skin and into her chest, and she clutched her satchel more tightly beneath her coat. At least her books and papers were dry!

But this infuriating sea-storm. The drops like blades, as though they wanted to peel the skin straight off her face. Nothing like the showers she knew from the countryside, the gentle pattering rain that coaxed hillsides into another season of wildflowers. No. These evening storms felt every bit as opinionated as Narona City itself.

Back at her dormitory room, Celeste shuddered out of her coat, gave it a massive shake and hung it next to the radiator. She grabbed a towel and roughed her hair.

“You should’ve skipped.”

Her roommate Althea didn’t even look up from her latest racy softback. From the way the girl’s eyes were glued to the pages, and the bare-chested men on the cover, it was easy to imagine why. Celeste shucked off her shoes, dropped to her mattress and peeled off her socks. She grimaced. Her toes had pruned into wrinkled lumps, and she rubbed at them with the towel.

Across the room, Althea’s toes, plump and pink, scrunched at her sheets foot by foot like a contented cat.

“You missed a great class. We figured how to break a sphere into pieces and make two new spheres out of the parts. I couldn’t stop laughing!”

“Wow. Spheres. I wish I’d been.” Althea turned a page in her softback.

“Anson said if Turaset was the size of a handball, it’d be smoother than the smoothest handball in the world.”

“Mmm.”

Celeste smiled. “I’m getting you to class tomorrow if I have to drag you. Rain is no excuse.”

Calculus was a requirement in the City Study program, the two-year-education initiative for country youth. It wasn’t how Celeste imagined coming to the city, but here she was, Narona City, at last. She’d wanted to come for as long as she could remember and had begged her parents years ago.

“I’m fourteen! Old enough to marry and then I won’t have the chance!”

“No,” her papa Hubert had said.

“Hubert,” she’d cried, “please!”

“It’s not safe,” he said fiercely, “especially for a girl like you, coming from a family like ours.”

She steamed at that. Their family was no different than any other. “Why not, Papa?”

He snapped, “You will address me by name.”

“You’re treating me like a baby. If I’m old enough to call you by name, I’m old enough to take work in the city.”

But every time, the answer was no. If Hubert didn’t call the cities unsafe, he called them expensive. Or filthy.

As if the horses weren’t filthy. Or the inn, filthy with age from its dusty front entry to its dreary root cellar to every last guest room above.

Celeste tolerated it, endured sleepy Collimais; even left notes to herself, scraps written in a miniscule little script and tucked into tiny cracks in windowsills or under seat cushions that this tedious, chore-laden life couldn’t last forever.

The scribbles grew more elaborate by the month, and as bits of paper began to fill every availably cranny she could find, a funny thing happened. The notes began to convince Celeste that any city would be better, be a wide-open future, and that it might actually happen. She came to believe it, and she began approaching guests.

“I’d love to work in Vastol,” she said to a couple one morning.

The woman replied, “Maybe not a good idea. It’s mostly drudge work for young people.”

Celeste held up her oven mitts. “That’s fine.”

“No, no, worse. Assembly lines, long shifts, like that. Unless you’ve a certificate?” the woman said with an upward lilt.

Hubert walked up. “Excuse my daughter,” he said, taking her by the elbow.

But the notion wouldn’t leave her head. City folk stayed under this roof, slept under sheets she herself had washed, enjoying food she’d prepared. There must be a way to use that and flip things. Celeste cornered guest after guest, teasing nuggets of information from them.

And then one spring morning she woke to a sky that was that rare shade of paradise blue, and she knew that absolutely everything would line up. And on that day, on that morning, over a plate of maple syrup muffins drizzled with heavy cream, one of their guests blew the entire thing completely, utterly, and forever wide open.

What do you look for in a beta?

What works? What doesn’t? My story is a world-building prequel to my novel and intended for my website. I won’t seek an agent for this, and don’t need huge plot/stakes. Hopefully the story is easy to follow and fun to read. I’d like to know if it stands alone. In this novella, I tried to avoid novel spoilers, and some of the stuff in it is just funsies for people who read the novel. So, you might feel things are missing. What confuses you? Mark it. What drags? Mark it. Any feedback welcome… I hope for mid-level feedback in particular. I wouldn't mind expanding the word count too, so if you can imagine a scene you'd like, please make a note.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hook:

On planet Turaset, seventeen-year-old Celeste bakes another batch of muffins very specific imagery. It made me think she worked in a bakery. Having read on, she helps in her parents inn. I would consider something less homely here, like washes yet more sheets, scrubs yet more toilets etc. and fantasizes of life in the city. She’d abandon her parents’ miserable country inn in a hot second given half a chance. So, when she learns that Narona’s central university is offering classes to country folk, she sees her opportunity. She convinces Mama to help persuade Papa to sign her up.

Celeste soaks up city life and adulthood with gusto. She asks out a handsome young city boy I don't think both 'young' and 'boy' are needed, he says ‘yes,’ and soon they’re discovering Narona together and spending nights in one another’s arms. Life back home could never teach her what Anson can!

But love sours when Celeste begins to suspect that she’s just a country novelty to Anson. Narona’s different, but with no family will it ever feel like home? Celeste must choose between the safety of country tradition, and an uncertain future in a wildly different culture.

First 750 words:

Celeste pushed through the crowds, swells of rain hitting her shoulders only her shoulders? what about her head, face? in endless bursts. Chill worked under her skin and into her chest, and she clutched her satchel more tightly beneath her coat. At least her books and papers were dry!

But this infuriating sea-storm. The drops like blades, as though they wanted to peel the skin straight off her face. Having read the whole piece, she isn't in pain or damaged when home, so I feel this description is a bit strong. You could always have her examining her face in the mirror for bruises when she gets in, if the rain is as intense as this Nothing like the showers she knew from the countryside, the gentle pattering rain that coaxed hillsides into another season of wildflowers. <lovely No. These evening storms felt every bit as opinionated as Narona City itself. Oooh, different weather in the city and the countryside? interesting :)

Back at her dormitory room, Celeste shuddered out of her coat, gave it a massive shake to remove the water? would she really do this inside, presumably splattering water everywhere and hung it next to the radiator. She grabbed a towel and roughed her hair.

“You should’ve skipped.”

Her roommate Althea didn’t even look up from her latest racy softback. From the way the girl’s eyes were glued to the pages, and the bare-chested men on the cover, it was easy to imagine why. Celeste shucked off her shoes, dropped to her mattress and peeled off her socks. She grimaced. Her toes had pruned into wrinkled lumps, and she rubbed at them with the towel.

Across the room, Althea’s toes, plump and pink, scrunched at her sheets foot by foot like a contented cat. < nice

“You missed a great class. We figured how to break a sphere into pieces and make two new spheres out of the parts. I couldn’t stop laughing!”

“Wow. Spheres. I wish I’d been there?.” Althea turned a page in her softback.

“Anson said if Turaset was the size of a handball, it’d be smoother than the smoothest handball in the world.” Am I supposed to know what this means yet? Because I'm confused.

“Mmm.”

Celeste smiled. “I’m getting you to class tomorrow if I have to drag you. Rain is no excuse.”

Calculus was a requirement in the City Study program, the two-year-education initiative for country youth. It wasn’t how Celeste imagined coming to the city, but here she was, Narona City, at last. She’d wanted to come for as long as she could remember and had begged her parents years ago.

“No,” her papa Hubert had said. I don't think you need to explain this as it's explained a few lines down

“It’s not safe,” he said fiercely, “especially for a girl like you, coming from a family like ours.”

She steamed at that. Their family was no different than any other. “Why not, Papa?”

He snapped, “You will address me by name.” Nice little cultural difference.

“You’re treating me like a baby. If I’m old enough to call you by name, I’m old enough to take work in the city.”

But every time, the answer was no. If Hubert didn’t call the cities unsafe, he called them expensive. Or filthy.

As if the horses weren’t filthy. Or the inn, filthy with age from its dusty front entry to its dreary root cellar to every last guest room above.

Celeste tolerated it, endured sleepy Collimais; even left notes to herself, scraps written in a miniscule little script and tucked into tiny cracks in windowsills or under seat cushions that this tedious, chore-laden life couldn’t last forever. I'm not sure the point of the notes. In theory, this could be her forever life.

The scribbles grew more elaborate by the month, I think the reader needs to see a few examples of these notes, as they seem a bit abstract to me. Are they mantras? Plans? Unconscious thoughts?and as bits of paper began to fill every availably cranny Don't her parents come across them? she could find, a funny thing happened. The notes began to convince Celeste that any city would be better, be a wide-open future, and that it might actually happen. She came to believe it, and she began approaching guests.

The woman replied, “Maybe not a good idea. It’s mostly drudge work for young people.”

Celeste held up her oven mitts. “That’s fine.” She's taking charge, I like it.

“No, no, worse. Assembly lines, long shifts, like that. Unless you’ve a certificate?” the woman said with an upward lilt.

But the notion wouldn’t leave her head. City folk stayed under this roof, slept under sheets she herself had washed, enjoying food she’d prepared. There must be a way to use that and flip things. Celeste cornered guest after guest, teasing nuggets of information from them.

And then one spring morning she woke to a sky that was that rare shade of paradise blue, and she knew that absolutely everything would line up. And on that day, on that morning, over a plate of maple syrup muffins drizzled with heavy cream, yum, I do love a bit of food to visualise one of their guests blew the entire thing completely, utterly, and forever wide open. strong ending

You've got an active MC and enough hints of worldbuilding to intrigue me. I think you might have put the backstory in a bit too soon, I would probably like to get to know Celeste a little more before finding out about her past, perhaps showing us some more city life so that the contrast to country life is increased.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

Hook:

On planet Turaset, seventeen-year-old Celeste bakes another batch of muffins and fantasizes of life in the city. She’d abandon her parents’ miserable country inn in a hot second given half a chance. So, when she learns that Narona’s central university is offering classes to country folk, she sees her opportunity. She convinces Mama to help persuade Papa to sign her up.

Celeste soaks up city life and adulthood with gusto. She asks out a handsome young city boy, he says ‘yes,’ and soon they’re discovering Narona together and spending nights in one another’s arms. Life back home could never teach her what Anson can!

Sounds like a pretty basic story. Could be very good, but there's no hook here, nothing to set it apart from a million other stories like it. This one may be vastly different from the rest, but there's no indication of that here. Being on a different planet only helps if it affects the story somehow, and if it does, you need to include it here.

First 750 words:

Celeste pushed through the crowds, swells of rain (can't picture) hitting her shoulders in endless bursts. Chill worked under her skin and into her chest, and she clutched her satchel more tightly beneath her coat. At least her books and papers were dry!

But this infuriating sea-storm. The drops like blades, as though they wanted to peel the skin straight off her ('Celeste's) face. Nothing like the showers she knew from the countryside, the gentle pattering rain that coaxed hillsides into another season of (needs an adjective, 'brilliant' or 'glorious' or something) wildflowers. No. These evening storms felt every bit as opinionated as Narona City itself.

Back at her dormitory room, Celeste shuddered out of her coat, gave it a massive shake and hung it next to the radiator. She grabbed a towel and roughed her hair.

“You should’ve skipped.” (who?)

Across the room, Althea’s toes, plump and pink, scrunched at her sheets foot by foot like a contented cat.

“You missed a great class. (attribution) We figured how to break a sphere into pieces and make two new spheres out of the parts. I couldn’t stop laughing!”

“Anson said if Turaset was the size of a handball, it’d be smoother than the smoothest handball in the world.”

“Mmm.”

Celeste tolerated it, endured sleepy Collimais (the town? the inn?); even left notes to herself, scraps written in a miniscule little script and tucked into tiny cracks in windowsills or under seat cushions (', notes') that this tedious, chore-laden life couldn’t last forever.

The scribbles grew more elaborate by the month, and as bits of paper began to fill every availably (available) cranny she could find, a funny thing happened. The notes began to convince Celeste that any city would be better, be (or 'would offer') a wide-open future, and that it might actually happen. She came to believe it, and she began approaching guests.

And then one spring morning she woke to a sky that was (or 'painted in', 'etched in', or similar) that rare shade of paradise blue, and she knew that absolutely everything would line up. And on that day, on that morning, over a plate of maple syrup muffins drizzled with heavy cream, one of their guests blew the entire thing completely, utterly, and forever wide open.

Last line is a promising start. Not much has happened up to this point and I don't have a good sense of who Celeste is yet, other than a country girl going to school in the big city.

The dormitory setting is fine, I think the inn setting needs more work. The line 'began approaching guests' made no sense until I guessed that the inn mentioned two paragraphs earlier must be her family's business.

Some of the wording seemed a little off to me. I noted it in a couple of places, but I couldn't be sure it wasn't just an English thing. I also noted a couple of lines of dialogue that needed attribution. Celeste's dialogue with her roommate was confusing at first.

There's no indication yet this doesn't take place on Earth, so if I hadn't read the hook, no idea what a Turaset is.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Any trigger warnings? Some M/F sex—but honestly you’ll probably be bothered by the low detail rather than too much

Hook:

But love sours when Celeste begins to suspect that she’s just a country novelty to Anson. Narona’s different, but with no family will it ever feel like home? (Hmm, questions are generally frowned on in queries, but I don’t mind this one) Celeste must choose between the safety of country tradition, and an uncertain future in a wildly different culture.

This sounds like a sweet story. :)

First 750 words:

Celeste pushed through the crowds (I’d probably want a little description of the setting, to ground me: ‘in the dirty streets’ or whatever), swells of rain hitting her shoulders in endless bursts. Chill worked under her skin and into her chest, and she clutched her satchel more tightly beneath her coat. At least her books and papers were dry! (I’d probably cut the exclamation mark.)

But this infuriating sea-storm. The drops like blades, as though they wanted to peel the skin straight off her face. Nothing like the showers she knew from the countryside, the gentle pattering rain that coaxed hillsides into another season of wildflowers. No. These evening storms felt every bit as opinionated as Narona City itself (Nice detail).

Back at her dormitory room (Again, I’d want a little more info, to ground me: ‘at Narona University’ or whatever), Celeste shuddered out of her coat, gave it a massive shake and hung it next to the radiator. She grabbed a towel and roughed (Not sure whether ‘roughed’ is the right word to use) her hair.

“You should’ve skipped.” (I’m presuming Althea has said this??)

“Mmm.”

Celeste smiled. “I’m getting you to class tomorrow if I have to drag you. Rainis no excuse.”

“I’m fourteen! (In the query, it says she’s seventeen, but presumably three years have now passed? Also, the query led me to believe we’d be starting on the farm with her persuading her dad to let her go to university. Make sure you don’t set up the agent with false expectations if you query this) Old enough to marry and then I won’t have the chance!”

“Hubert (She doesn’t call him ‘Papa’?),” she’d cried, “please!”

He snapped, “You will address me by name (Ah, that’s some kind of cultural thing, then?).”

Celeste tolerated it, endured sleepy Collimais; even left notes to herself, scraps written in a miniscule little script and tucked into tiny cracks in windowsills or under seat cushions that this tedious, chore-laden life couldn’t last forever.

The scribbles grew more elaborate by the month, and as bits of paper began to fill every availably cranny she could find, a funny thing happened. The notes began to convince Celeste that any city would be better, be a wide-open future, and that it might actually happen. She came to believe it, and she began approaching guests.

But the notion wouldn’t leave her head. City folk stayed under thisroof, slept under sheets she herself had washed, enjoying food she’d prepared. There must be a way to use that and flip things. Celeste cornered guest after guest, teasing nuggets of information from them (Resourceful – good for her! :))

And then one spring morning she woke to a sky that was that rare shade of paradise blue, and she knew that absolutely everything would line up. And on that day, on that morning, over a plate of maple syrup muffins drizzled with heavy cream, one of their guests blew the entire thing completely, utterly, and forever wide open.

This read smoothly and was nicely polished. I only had a few nitpicks. Good job! :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

Hook:

While I don’t really have anything negative about this hook content-wise, I also don’t see either the sci-fi or the fantasy elements. It reads like contemporary women’s fiction aside from the mention that it’s on another planet. Give some details to make the science fantasy pop.

First 750 words:

Celeste pushed through the crowds, swells of rain hitting her shoulders in endless bursts. Chill worked under her skin and into her chest, and she clutched her satchel more tightly beneath her coat. At least her books and papers were dry!

But this infuriating sea-storm. The drops like blades, as though they wanted to peel the skin straight off her face. Nothing like the showers she knew from the countryside, the gentle pattering rain that coaxed hillsides into another season of wildflowers. No. These evening storms felt every bit as opinionated as Narona City itself. Love this

“You should’ve skipped.”

Across the room, Althea’s toes, plump and pink, scrunched at her sheets foot by foot like a contented cat. Honestly kinda weirded out by the focus on the feet here

“Mmm.”

Celeste tolerated it, endured sleepy Collimais I don’t know what this is? A town? A planet?; even left notes to herself, scraps written in a miniscule little script and tucked into tiny cracks in windowsills or under seat cushions that this tedious, chore-laden life couldn’t last forever.

The scribbles grew more elaborate by the month, and as bits of paper began to fill every availably available cranny she could find, a funny thing happened. The notes began to convince Celeste that anycity any city would be better, be a wide-open future, and that it might actually happen. She came to believe it, and she began approaching guests.

And then one spring morning she woke to a sky that was that rare shade of paradise blue, and she knew that absolutely everything would line up. And on that day, on that morning, over a plate of maple syrup muffins drizzled with heavy cream, one of their guests blew the entire thing completely, utterly, and forever wide open. Well this makes me hungry! I hope her baking comes into play in the story.

This is a solid start, but I still don’t see any of the sci-fantasy elements. Since this has been stated as being on another planet, I need a bit more information on why, and where. Are all these places mentioned on the same planet? Different ones? Why here and not Earth? I need something early in to keep the promise of sci-fantasy. Also be careful of similar names. You’ve got Althea and Anson. A-names are the easiest to flock to when creating new names. Consider renaming one of them.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hook:

But love sours when Celeste begins to suspect that she’s just a country novelty to Anson. Narona’s different, but with no family will it ever feel like home? Celeste must choose between the safety of country tradition, and an uncertain future in a wildly different culture. [[Not critting the hook based on your intended goal for the novella, but it did pique my interest. :)]]

First 750 words:

But this infuriating sea-storm. The drops like blades, as though they wanted to peel the skin straight off her face. [[These two fragments back-to-back didn't work for me. I'd suggest changing one.]] Nothing like the showers she knew from the countryside, the gentle pattering rain that coaxed hillsides into another season of wildflowers. No. These evening storms felt every bit as opinionated as Narona City itself.

Back at her dormitory room, Celeste shuddered [[Love the verb choice.]] out of her coat, gave it a massive shake and hung it next to the radiator. She grabbed a towel and roughed her hair.

“You should’ve skipped.”

Her roommate Althea didn’t even look up from her latest racy softback. From the way the girl’s eyes were glued to the pages, and the bare-chested men on the cover, it was easy to imagine why. Celeste shucked off her shoes, dropped to her mattress and peeled off her socks. She grimaced. Her toes had pruned [[And again. Lovely!]] into wrinkled lumps, and she rubbed at them with the towel.

“Mmm.”

He snapped, “You will address me by name.” [[Huh, that's interesting. Why is that? If this is not explained somewhere in the novella I think I'd be confused and frustrated. It doesn't necessarily have to be explained this second.]]

Celeste tolerated it, endured sleepy Collimais [[Who? What?]]; even left notes to herself, scraps written in a miniscule little script and tucked into tiny cracks in windowsills or under seat cushions that this tedious, chore-laden life couldn’t last forever.

[[snip]]
So, you might feel things are missing. What confuses you? Mark it. [[FYI I ended up focusing on that.]]
[[snip]]
###
WHAT WORKS
I like Celeste! She's driven and intelligent and not afraid of hard work.
Lovely word choice.
I was interested all the way through.

WHAT DOESN'T
I'd have to see the structure of the whole novella, but it felt a little strange to start in the city, then flash back for such a long, detailed amount of time. I'd suggest moving the flashback later (or piecemealing it) or starting with Celeste's attempts to get to the city and then go to the city.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

Celeste pushed through the crowds, swells of rain hitting her shoulders in endless bursts. Chill worked under her skin and into her chest, and she clutched her satchel more tightly beneath her coat. At least her books and papers were dry! <-- nice sensory opening.

But this infuriating sea-storm. The drops like blades, as though they wanted to peel the skin straight off her face. Nothing like the showers she knew from the countryside, the gentle pattering rain that coaxed hillsides into another season of wildflowers. No. These evening storms felt every bit as opinionated as Narona City itself.

“You should’ve skipped.”

“Mmm.”

Calculus was a requirement in the City Study program, the two-year-education initiative for country youth. It wasn’t how Celeste imagined coming to the city, but here she was, Narona City, at last. She’d wanted to come for as long as she could remember and had begged her parents years ago. <--niiice. the slightest expositional nod, and we're back into an immersive narrative. well done!

He snapped, “You will address me by name.” <--I heard it said once, no need to attribute dialog with any verb other than "said." In this case, I don't think you even need that. It's obvious who said it, and the remark is curt enough that we don't need a verb like "snap" to force the curtness.

But every time, <--wait, what? suddenly we're in narrative zoom-out, where a moment ago, we were in the present and I was expecting a response from her dad. the answer was no. If Hubert didn’t call the cities unsafe, he called them expensive. Or filthy.

Celeste tolerated it, endured sleepy Collimais;<--what's this? a character? left dangling, it's unclear even left notes to herself, scraps written in a miniscule little script and tucked into tiny cracks in windowsills or under seat cushions that this tedious, chore-laden life couldn’t last forever.

“No, no, worse. Assembly lines, long shifts, like that. Unless you’ve a certificate?” the woman said with an upward lilt. <--I get the lilt you want--I think you achieve it with sentence, sentence, question. No need to add more.

Thoughts:

Waaaa what a place to stop! I was really enjoying this. Very immersive, with a deep connection to your MC. Well done. No structural, POV, or emotional critiques, just sentence spots. Great work!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Any trigger warnings? Some M/F sex—but honestly you’ll probably be bothered by the low detail rather than too much going to be frank, "you won't be bothered by it" is a really weird thing to write in a trigger warning.

Hook:

On planet Turaset, seventeen-year-old Celeste bakes another batch of muffins and fantasizes of about? life in the city. She’d abandon her parents’ miserable country inn in a hot second given half a chance. So, when she learns that Narona’s central university is offering classes to country folk, she sees her opportunity. She convinces Mama to help persuade Papa to sign her up. this is an interesting way to remove agency from your character. It might be literally how it happens in the book, but I'd rather hear that she took an active role in her own life.

Celeste soaks up city life and adulthood with gusto. She asks out a handsome young city boy, 'young' and 'boy' makes him sound twelve he says ‘yes,’ and soon they’re discovering Narona together and spending nights in one another’s arms. Life back home could never teach her what Anson can! Since you name him, I'd rather hear it on first mention.

But love sours when Celeste begins to suspect that she’s just a country novelty to Anson. Narona’s different, but with no family will it ever feel like home? Celeste must choose between the safety of country tradition, and an uncertain future in a wildly different culture. Sounds like a pretty clear coming of age story, but I do wonder what makes it distinct (I would assume the planet, but I see nothing in here that makes the setting seem important)

First 750 words:

Celeste pushed through the crowds, swells of rain hitting her shoulders in endless bursts. where is everyone going if there are swells of rain? is it rush hour? has it been raining for a month solid? Chill worked under her skin and into her chest, and she clutched her satchel more tightly beneath her coat. At least her books and papers were dry!

But this infuriating sea-storm. The drops like blades, as though they wanted to peel the skin straight off her face. Do they not have umbrellas? is there gusting wing? Nothing like the showers she knew from the countryside, the gentle pattering rain that coaxed hillsides into another season of wildflowers. No. These evening storms felt every bit as opinionated is this the word? I'm trying to think of what an opinionated storm would be. Brash, aggressive, something? as Narona City itself.

Back at her dormitory room, to me, she's just teleported. Celeste shuddered out of her coat, gave it a massive shake and hung it next to the radiator. She grabbed a towel and roughed her hair. This is summary. I don't have any sense of place or tone, but I am reading lists of action

“You should’ve skipped.”

Her roommate Althea didn’t even look up from her latest racy softback. From the way the girl’s eyes were glued to the pages, and the bare-chested men on the cover, it was easy to imagine why. Celeste shucked off her shoes, dropped to her mattress and peeled off her socks. She grimaced. Her toes had pruned into wrinkled lumps, and she rubbed at them with the towel. is that towel not holding her wet hair?

Across the room, Althea’s toes, plump and pink, scrunched at her sheets foot by foot like a contented cat. at first, I thought she was reading on her stomach, but that doesn't work with this, so I need more information to understand these spaces. Also, she's on her bed, but Celeste just walked through the door, so I need a sense of what this interior space looks like.

“You missed a great class. We figured how to break a sphere into pieces and make two new spheres out of the parts. I couldn’t stop laughing!” laughing? Why?

“Mmm.”

The scribbles grew more elaborate by the month, and as bits of paper began to fill every availably available cranny she could find, a funny thing happened. The notes began to convince Celeste that any city would be better, be a wide-open future, and that it might actually happen. She came to believe it, and she began approaching guests.

Hubert walked up. “Excuse my daughter,” he said, taking her by the elbow. We've had so much more action in the past than in the present, I had to look back to see how the present linked to the past.

Seeing no SF/F in anything I've read here. I know 750 isn't much, but I wish there was something more to latch on to in it. From the hook, things seemed very predictable, so I was hoping the world-building would add something unique, but that didn't happen in this bit. Everyone wants to know what's special about your story, and I'm sorry I don't see it here.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entry #15 (NA SpecFic) - Beta Project 2019

Hook:

On planet Turaset, seventeen-year-old Celeste bakes another batch of muffins and fantasizes of life in the city. She’d abandon her parents’ miserable country inn in a hot second given half a chance. So, When she learns that Narona’s central university is offering classes to country folk, she sees her opportunity. She convinces Mama to help persuade Papa to sign her up. I think you can just say she persuades Mama and Papa

But love sours ah, youth, in love and out in the space of two sentences ;) when Celeste begins to suspect that she’s just a country novelty to Anson. Narona’s different, but with no family will it ever feel like home? Celeste must choose between the safety of country tradition, and an uncertain future in a wildly different culture.

First 750 words:

Celeste pushed through the crowds, swells of rain hitting her shoulders in endless bursts. Chill worked under her skin and into her chest, and she clutched her satchel more tightly beneath her coat. At least her books and papers were dry! Not loving/feeling the need for this exclamation point, but that could just be me.

But this infuriating sea-storm. The drops like blades, as though they wanted to peel the skin straight off her face. Nothing like the showers she knew from the countryside, the gentle pattering rain that coaxed hillsides into another season of wildflowers. No. These evening storms felt every bit as opinionated as Narona City itself. Very nice.

Back at in her dormitory room, Celeste shuddered out of her coat, gave it a massive shake and hung it next to the radiator. She grabbed a towel and roughed her hair.

“You should’ve skipped.”

Her roommate Althea didn’t even look up from her latest racy unnecessary, you follow with the description softback. From the way the girl’s eyes were glued to the pages, and the bare-chested men on the cover, it was easy to imagine why. Celeste shucked off her shoes, dropped to her mattress and peeled off her socks. She grimaced. Maybe a bit too much, shucking, peeling, and grimacing within two sentences. Her toes had pruned into wrinkled lumps, and she rubbed at them with the towel.

Across the room, Althea’s toes, plump and pink, scrunched at her sheets foot by foot like a contented cat. Is she hot for her? If yes, another sentence please, if not, seems an odd thing for her to notice.

“You missed a great class. We figured how to break a sphere into pieces and make two new spheres out of the parts. I couldn’t stop laughing!” Not sure why this would make her laugh.

“Wow. Spheres. I wish I’d been.” Althea turned a page in her softback. I'm liking Althea.

“Mmm.”

Celeste smiled. “I’m getting you to class tomorrow if I have to drag you. why? Is she responsible for her roommate's class attendance? Knows Althea has a horrible life back home and wants her to stay? Afraid her next roommate will leave empty sardine cans lying around? Rain is no excuse.”

*something about the timeline feels a little off. Maybe "the serious campaign began three years ago... or something*

“Hubert,” she’d cried, “please!” If she refers to them as Mama and Papa even in the hook, I don't expect her to say Hubert here.

“You’re treating me like a baby. If I’m old enough to call you by name, I’m old enough to take work in the city.” got it, ok. :)

Celeste tolerated it, endured sleepy Collimais; even left notes to herself, scraps written in a miniscule little script and tucked into tiny cracks in windowsills or under seat cushions that this tedious, chore-laden life couldn’t last forever. nice

And then one spring morning she woke to a sky that was that rare shade of paradise blue, and she knew that absolutely everything would line up. And on that day, on that morning, over a plate of maple syrup muffins drizzled with heavy cream, one of their guests blew the entire thing I'd like a different word here, either more specific or more colloquial completely, utterly, and forever wide open.

What works? What doesn’t? My story is a world-building prequel to my novel and intended for my website. I won’t seek an agent for this, and don’t need huge plot/stakes. Hopefully the story is easy to follow and fun to read. I’d like to know if it stands alone. In this novella, I tried to avoid novel spoilers, and some of the stuff in it is just funsies for people who read the novel. So, you might feel things are missing. What confuses you? Mark it. What drags? Mark it. Any feedback welcome… I hope for mid-level feedback in particular. I wouldn't mind expanding the word count too, so if you can imagine a scene you'd like, please make a note.

I'm not sure we need the whole paragraph about life before the city in the hook if the story opens in the city. Your opening is pretty clear, but I'd like to be a bit deeper in Celeste. What makes *her* worthy of another country gal in the big city story? Maybe more about her passion for education, imagining how dividing those spheres could be applied, something. For me, the best bit in the 750 is her description of the storm, because it gives a taste of her excitement and enthusiasm, good or bad. :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you one and all! I've read through these a few times now and the ideas for how to modify it are coalescing.

Several people said that they want more SF elements. I might throw in something. I'll think about it. This story is one small one within the larger world I've built; it will be on the website along with the appendices (incl. historical timeline of colonization, genetic oddities on the world, etc), maps, and so on. In other words, here in the beta project the story is isolated from everything else, but ultimately it will be nestled into 'everything else,' when it's uploaded. So i think the 'very low SF vibe' part might actually be OK. (This story is the lightest of the ones I've written, so far, on SFF elements--I was going purely for the trope-y, easy story in part because I can write this without spoiling the novel. Celeste is a moderately important secondary character in the novel, set about 25 years after this, and I wanted to provide something as to why she ends up being so clearly more educated than the people around her, later.)

Having said all that, later in the novella there are some indigenous creatures that are roughly analogous to mermaids, and it would be easy enough to tweak the open to include a promise of those. I might. You all have me thinking! :)

The additional feedback is fantastic too, and like I said it's coalescing into changes I'll make. It's always so invaluable to see the parsing other folks do with the words--it never occurred to me, for example, that Celeste might come off as a baker, or that it would be at all unclear that the inn was her family's--but that's because all of that is so well established in the novel... that it just didn't occur to me. :) You are all gems.

What a great project this is. Thanks Sage!! Thanks critters!!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't crit this one, but I know that when I read the hook, I had to read it a couple of times looking for the sci-fantasy before I realized that you said it was on another planet right up front. But when I looked at your paragraph about what you need in a beta, I realized that that didn't matter because the readers who come to read your novella will be coming at it as a prequel to a longer work, where the sci-fantasy element is probably really clear. Likely, they'll be looking to find out more about these characters and world before the start of your novel.

But I totally thought Celeste was a baker. Had baking magic in my mind.