• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Entry #12 - Beta Project 2014

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: The Fakelore Girl
Manuscript Genre: YA Fantasy
Manuscript Word Count: 55k (current), 80-90k (projected)
Is your manuscript finished?: N

Hook:

Seventeen-year-old islander Fenella craves a life that lives up to her creative embellishments. When mainlander Prince Jarek visits on a charm offensive, seeking a wife, Fenella’s not beneath faking interest in him for a taste of the young royal’s lifestyle. She might not be his type looks-wise, but she’s confident her dazzling personality will keep him intrigued.

Then Fenella discovers she’s not the only one being economical with the truth. The prince’s visit masks a more sinister purpose: a subtle invasion to annihilate all magic – and all magic-users – from the land. And since Fenella’s ancestors have kept their island’s oasis of magic a secret for centuries, she’ll use every lie on her tongue to prevent its discovery.

That’s if the prince doesn’t invade his way to her heart first.

First 750 words:

As experiences went, lying spread-eagled on a stone altar while a priestess sharpened her knife beside me wasn’t one I’d forget in a hurry. That blade looked evil, for starters. And the smile on Cressie’s blood-red lips showed just how much she relished her task. Barbarian!

The evening tide advanced upon the open-air temple to the goddess Drina. Waves lapped against the rocks to my distant left, beyond the two stone columns that stood as a gateway to the sea and the krakens that haunted its depths. A small mercy I wasn’t chained to those columns, awaiting my death one kraken mouthful at a time. Farther along the shoreline, to the north behind me, drummers beat a steady rhythm while islanders chanted around their towering bonfires. Wine and ale flowed freely, the same wine they’d forced down my throat earlier. Couldn’t fault the vintage though.

“Shouldn’t I be naked?” I wiggled my toes. The heels of my feet and the tips of my fingers touched the four corners of the granite slab. Grains of sand rubbed against my skin. “I really think I should be naked.”

“What, right now?” The knife stilled. “Fenella, nobody wants to see that.”

“No, not now. For my ceremony the month after next.” For just a few seconds I imagined the full moon casting its silvery light over my nude body on the altar, my generous curves a stark contrast against the hard angles of the stone. I took the image a step farther: a gilt-framed portrait of the scene on display in our meeting hall for all to admire; I’d totally swing it as an artist’s model. “Peony will be naked.”

“There’s a difference.” My sister Cressie leaned over me, her poker-straight brown hair swishing with the movement. “Peony is just a baby and no one will bat an eyelid.” She poked my shoulder and my daydream scattered. “Now stop messing about and get up. They’re coming over.”

I swivelled off the altar and jumped to the ground. Ouch! Something sharp cut into my bare foot. I hopped backwards, wincing in pain. There, poking out from the sand, lay an orange opal, all fiery and hard and jagged.

And utterly, utterly spiked with bad luck.

“No, no, no!” Ignoring my injury, I sank to my knees and pulled the semiprecious stone loose. The uncut opal fitted snugly into the palm of my hand and glittered in the evening sunlight.

“What’s the mat–” Cressie caught sight of it, too. “Oh!” Her hazel eyes met mine, worry and fear mingling; we were doomed.

The chants grew louder. Above the rock pools and driftwood of the high tide strandline, a procession of figures traipsed towards us from the bonfires.

“The last time one of these was found...” Cressie’s voice trailed off.

I swallowed, pressing my lips together, and nodded. The last time an orange opal dared expose itself, an infant died. I had to get this one far away from my baby niece’s dedication ceremony before another victim was claimed; Peony had suffered enough in her short lifetime already.

“Cover for me,” I whispered, clenching the opal in my fist, and slipped away.

A weathered cliff-face formed a natural wall to our summer temple at the west end, leaving the east exposed to the sea while the shoreline continued to the north and south. I followed the cliff-face northwards, the sand beneath my feet still retaining the warmth of the day.

No one from the procession even glanced my way; they were all too wrapped up in my precious, precious niece and her stick-thin arms and her stick-thin legs. I didn’t blame them. Only three weeks ago, Peony had arrived far too early for her due date, barely surviving a long and difficult birth. Every breath she took since was a gift from Drina.

Sand gave way to shingle and rock as I headed inland, taking a gentle path that led up to the cliff-top. The sole of my foot throbbed, the wound irritated by grains of sand, but I’d suffered worse before in my bid for a sandal-free existence. I hurried onwards over the grassy headland, glad of the evening breeze that caressed my bare back and shoulders and cooled my skin. Today’s solstice had been the hottest one for years, maybe even centuries, and another hour or so of sunlight still remained. I didn’t envy Cressie, sweltering away in her heavy, novitiate’s tunic back at the temple. The flirtatiously short piece of silk that passed for my halter neck dress had been my best decision all day.

What do you look for in a beta?:

• Someone with a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down. (I have a sweet tooth – no fillings though, surprisingly enough!) 
• Someone who won’t mind waiting to beta until I’ve finished and polished my ms (could be a few months).
• I’m happy either way if you give me general views on what does/doesn’t work (worldbuilding, characterisation, plot, etc), or if you want to give a line-by line. Also, dittoing Sage’s remark on her entry for the previous beta project, I like it when a reader lets me know what they’re thinking as they’re reading – whether it’s a simple ‘Lol’, an ‘Aw’, or an ‘Eeeew!’

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript Title: The Fakelore Girl

Interesting title, although I had to blink and read it again to make sure I got it right.
Hook:

Seventeen-year-old islander Fenella craves a life that lives up to her creative embellishments. [On first read, I wasn't exactly sure what was meant by "creative embellishments." It sounds like she lies or makes up stories about her own life, but what sorts of stories exactly? And that seems hard to get away with on an island. Overall it took a bit too much thought for the first line of a hook.] When mainlander Prince Jarek visits on a charm offensive [I love "charm offensive."], seeking a wife, Fenella’s not beneath faking interest in him for a taste of the young royal’s lifestyle. [I like her motivation -- believably selfish but without intent for serious harm.] She might not be his type looks-wise, but she’s confident her dazzling personality will keep him intrigued. [I would've been happier without the first part of this sentence; unless her appearance is a major plot point, it just makes the prince seem shallow -- which may be what you want, but then casts some doubt on whether this venture is worth it.]

Then Fenella discovers she’s not the only one being economical with the truth. The prince’s visit masks a more sinister purpose [To be nitpicky about grammar, his visit isn't masking this purpose; this actually is presumably a purpose of his visit. His wife-quest is the mask.]: a subtle invasion to annihilate all magic – and all magic-users – from the land. [I found the mention of magic a tad sudden; it might be possible to set it up earlier. Also, you never end up mentioning if there actually are any magic-users -- particularly whether Fenella or anyone close to her is one -- so that addition doesn't have quite the weight I think you might want it to have.] And since Fenella’s ancestors have kept their island’s oasis of magic a secret for centuries, she’ll use every lie on her tongue to prevent its discovery. [Love the turnaround, where now her lying is a skill she can use for good. I'm confused, however, why the prince is here to destroy magic if he doesn't even know magic exists on the island.]

That’s if the prince doesn’t invade his way to her heart first. [Awk! Officially hooked. Great setup for a conflict-filled romance, and nice word choice with "invaded."]

The only bit really missing here for me is whether magic is justifiably good or bad in this world (to want to destroy or preserve it; and why one would keep it secret, unless folks going around eradicating it are common), but I can see that being hard to weave in.

First 750 words:

As experiences went, lying spread-eagled on a stone altar while a priestess sharpened her knife beside me wasn’t one I’d forget in a hurry. That blade looked evil, for starters. And the smile on Cressie’s blood-red lips showed just how much she relished her task. Barbarian! [I'm a little torn here. You're obviously trying very deliberately to throw the reader off and make them think there's some sacrifice of the narrator underway, but I'm personally not a fan of having it done so overtly. I think you could probably manage a similar effect by providing descriptive details without so much color commentary ("evil" and "blood-red" and the experience being so memorable, when in reality I'm not so sure it is). On the other hand, the narrator's someone who's prone to making up fanciful tales, so I can see her turning the whole scenario into something more than it is. I assume you've thought through your decision, but just so you know one reader's reaction, it was a bit of a turn-off for me to be tricked like this right from the start.]

The evening tide advanced upon the open-air temple to the goddess Drina. Waves lapped against the rocks to my distant left, beyond the two stone columns that stood as a gateway to the sea and the krakens that haunted its depths. A small mercy ["small"? rather understated...] I wasn’t chained to those columns, awaiting my death one kraken mouthful at a time. [Ha, nice units.] Farther along the shoreline, to the north behind me, drummers beat a steady rhythm while islanders chanted around their towering bonfires. [If they're behind her, how is she seeing these towering bonfires? She could've seen them earlier, I suppose, but it kind of ruins the immediacy of the scene-setting.] Wine and ale flowed freely [Really not sure how she's observing this; even just rewording to "Wine and ale would be flowing freely" would help me place it as her pre-existing knowledge.], the same wine they’d forced down my throat earlier. [On the re-read, I'm wondering about the forced bit.] Couldn’t fault the vintage though. [I liked this sassy tone here.]

“Shouldn’t I be naked?” I wiggled my toes. The heels of my feet and the tips of my fingers touched the four corners of the granite slab. Grains of sand rubbed against my skin. “I really think I should be naked.” [And we swing full-on into irreverence. It caught me by surprise, but I couldn't help being amused.]

“What, right now?” The knife stilled. “Fenella, nobody wants to see that.” [Great response from someone who's been dealing with Fenella all her life.]

“No, not now. For my ceremony the month after next.” [Might be worth naming what kind of ceremony.] For just a few seconds I imagined the full moon casting its silvery light over my nude body on the altar, my generous curves a stark contrast against the hard angles of the stone. I took the image a step farther: a gilt-framed portrait of the scene on display in our meeting hall for all to admire; I’d totally swing it as an artist’s model. ["Swing it" felt like tipping over into overly modern talk.] “Peony will be naked.”

“There’s a difference.” My sister Cressie leaned over me, her poker-straight brown hair swishing with the movement. “Peony is just a baby and no one will bat an eyelid.” She poked my shoulder and my daydream scattered. “Now stop messing about and get up. They’re coming over.”

I swivelled off the altar and jumped to the ground. Ouch! Something sharp cut into my bare foot. I hopped backwards, wincing in pain. There, poking out from the sand, lay an orange opal, all fiery and hard and jagged.

And utterly, utterly spiked with bad luck. [On first read I thought that being "spiked with bad luck" referred to how it drew her blood, and I thought that Fenella's injury could be the issue at hand (not being entirely clear on the purpose of her presence at the temple, except apparently not as a sacrifice). On the re-read it was clearer that the orange opal was inherently bad luck.]

“No, no, no!” Ignoring my injury, I sank to my knees and pulled the semiprecious stone loose. The uncut opal fitted snugly into the palm of my hand and glittered in the evening sunlight.

“What’s the mat–” Cressie caught sight of it, too. “Oh!” Her hazel eyes met mine, worry and fear mingling [I feel like these emotions could come across more viscerally; just saying that they're mingling (especially since they're both negative emotions that aren't exactly conflicting) doesn't quite have oomph.]; we were doomed. [Dying of curiosity here. Why? How?]

The chants grew louder. Above the rock pools and driftwood of the high tide strandline, a procession of figures traipsed towards us from the bonfires.

I swallowed, pressing my lips together, and nodded. The last time an orange opal dared expose itself [Interesting wording here; I'm not sure if you're giving the opal a sense of agency on purpose.], an infant died. [Here I can't tell if this might be coincidence attributed to superstition, or if there really was some sort of direct causal link.] I had to get this one far away from my baby niece’s dedication ceremony before another victim was claimed; Peony had suffered enough in her short lifetime already. [Hmm, the implication of a baby dying previously, and the dedication ceremony being the deadline, is that the baby at the center of the ceremony is the one at risk. But "another victim" seems a little disassociated from a threat to one's niece, and saying that Peony's suffered a lot doesn't really seem to be relevant to the threat of her dying (since that kind of snuffs out all suffering). Is it someone else who's close to Peony that's at risk now?]

“Cover for me,” I whispered, clenching the opal in my fist, and slipped away. [I really would've loved to get Cressie's reaction here. I have no idea whether Fenella's in denial and just hoping that some literal distance will help, or if this is a viable plan -- in which case, why the secrecy?]

A weathered cliff-face formed a natural wall to our summer temple at the west end, leaving the east exposed to the sea while the shoreline continued to the north and south. I followed the cliff-face northwards, the sand beneath my feet still retaining the warmth of the day. [Saying that the day's heat is still being retained kind of implies that the day is no longer hot, but later on you say there's still a couple of hours of heat left for Cressie to suffer through.]

No one from the procession even glanced my way; they were all too wrapped up in my precious, precious niece and her stick-thin arms and her stick-thin legs. [Not sure if there's a reason to repeat "stick-thin" instead of just combining "arms and legs," especially as you just used repetition for emphasis with "precious."] I didn’t blame them. Only three weeks ago, Peony had arrived far too early for her due date, barely surviving a long and difficult birth. [No mention of the aunt, who also would have undergone this difficult birth?] Every breath she took since was a gift from Drina.

Sand gave way to shingle and rock as I headed inland, taking a gentle path that led up to the cliff-top. The sole of my foot throbbed, the wound irritated by grains of sand, but I’d suffered worse before in my bid for a sandal-free existence. [I can't help liking her footloose ways.] I hurried onwards over the grassy headland, glad of the evening breeze that caressed my bare back and shoulders and cooled my skin. [This description of the weather feels a bit too pleasant to me, when we're supposedly in an urgent situation.] Today’s solstice had been the hottest one for years, maybe even centuries, and another hour or so of sunlight still remained. I didn’t envy Cressie, sweltering away in her heavy, novitiate’s tunic back at the temple. The flirtatiously short piece of silk that passed for my halter neck dress had been my best decision all day. [Ha, she's so entertainingly obsessed about showing off her body.]

General comments:

Fenella's voice is definitely the strength here. She comes across as a bit flighty, but still a good-hearted sister and aunt. A lot of groundwork's been laid for future flirting with the prince, and her imaginative tendencies.

I've already mentioned that I'm not won over the beginning on the altar, but the real problem that you introduce (Fenella absenting herself from the ceremony to do something mysterious with the opal to save her niece) didn't quite work for me, either. I still have no idea what exactly the opal will do and how distance will help (did its exposure already doom them, or is there really a chance to mitigate its effects?). And Peony's premature birth is mentioned only near the end of this section, so I didn't realize exactly how vulnerable she was. (Presumably the ceremony is to help with that?)

Essentially, I'd love more explanation of the culture and its traditions here, so I can put these actions into context -- even little brief asides could help.

There's also a tendency during supposedly tense situations for you to start describing the environment, which does give me a great sense of place (gotta take advantage of these island settings!), but inevitably slows down the pace.

On a prose level, this is easy to read (I mean that as a compliment), and I can see this writing style and story premise totally appealing to the YA market.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entry 12

As experiences went, lying spread-eagled on a stone altar while a priestess sharpened her knife beside me wasn’t one I’d forget in a hurry. That blade looked evil, for starters. And the smile on Cressie’s blood-red lips showed just how much she relished her task. Barbarian!That exclamation feels out of place.

Great opening, though.

The evening tide advanced upon the open-air temple to the goddess Drina. Waves lapped against the rocks to my distant left, beyond the two stone columns that stood as a gateway to the sea and the krakens that haunted its depths. A small mercy I wasn’t chained to those columns, awaiting my death one kraken mouthful at a time. Farther along the shoreline, to the north behind me, drummers beat a steady rhythm while islanders chanted around their towering bonfires. Wine and ale flowed freely, the same wine they’d forced down my throat earlier. Couldn’t fault the vintage though.

Good description.

“Shouldn’t I be naked?” I wiggled my toes. The heels of my feet and the tips of my fingers touched the four corners of the granite slab. Grains of sand rubbed against my skin. “I really think I should be naked.”

Haha, nice.

“No, not now. For my ceremony the month after next.” For just a few seconds I imagined the full moon casting its silvery light over my nude body on the altar, my generous curves a stark contrast against the hard angles of the stone. I took the image a step farther: a gilt-framed portrait of the scene on display in our meeting hall for all to admire; I’d totally swing it as an artist’s model. “Peony will be naked.”

“What’s the mat–” Cressie caught sight of it, too. “Oh!” Her hazel eyes met mine, worry and fear mingling; we were doomed.

I swallowed, pressing my lips together, and nodded. The last time an orange opal dared expose itself, an infant died. I had to get this one far away from my baby niece’s dedication ceremony before another victim was claimed; Peony had suffered enough in her short lifetime already.

“Cover for me,” I whispered, clenching the opal in my fist, and slipped away.

A weathered cliff-face formed a natural wall to our summer temple at the west end, leaving the east exposed to the sea while the shoreline continued to the north and south. I followed the cliff-face northwards, the sand beneath my feet still retaining the warmth of the day.

No one from the procession even glanced my way; they were all too wrapped up in my precious, precious niece and her stick-thin arms and her stick-thin legs. I didn’t blame them. Only three weeks ago, Peony had arrived far too early for her due date, barely surviving a long and difficult birth. Every breath she took since was a gift from Drina.

Sand gave way to shingle and rock as I headed inland, taking a gentle path that led up to the cliff-top. The sole of my foot throbbed, the wound irritated by grains of sand, but I’d suffered worse before in my bid for a sandal-free existence. I hurried onwards over the grassy headland, glad of the evening breeze that caressed my bare back and shoulders and cooled my skin. Today’s solstice had been the hottest one for years, maybe even centuries, and another hour or so of sunlight still remained. I didn’t envy Cressie, sweltering away in her heavy, novitiate’s tunic back at the temple. The flirtatiously short piece of silk that passed for my halter neck dress had been my best decision all day.

I love the writing style and the voice, and I'm really curious about what's going on in this scene. You also do a great job of creating a sense of character.

I wish I had some criticism, but as it is, I haven't read enough of this scene to understand how it fits into the story. I'll probably have much more to say after I read the chapter in full.

I think your premise sounds awesome, and I would be very interested in beta-ing this novel.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

My thoughts:
- Love the first line! In fact I really like the whole first paragraph. I’m guessing by her tone that she’s not actually going to be sacrificed. One thing I would say is perhaps have only italics or exclamation point rather than both, but that’s just personal style so feel to ignore it
- Krakens! Me likey
- Bit confused at the islanders bit. I’m guessing she’s not an islander. And she’s not part of their ceremony, but they forced wine down her throat?
- I’m not a fan of the ‘poker-straight’ metaphor. Straight hair would work fine for me, but again personal style.
- I think you could take out the ‘Ouch!’ and combine the next two sentences. Or at least move the ouch back a sentence, because as it is we have her reaction before she steps on the whatever’s sharp.
- ‘We were doomed’ sounds pretty dramatic, especially when we don’t know why. I think this would be a good time to
- I’m definitely getting the idea of quite a free spirit and someone who is pushing against the norms and is comfortable with her body eg the naked talk, not wearing sandals and the barely-there dress.
- Would a temple novitiate be allowed to play around with her sister as a ceremony is taking place? And why aren’t they taking part or at least watching it since it’s for their sick niece? I think we need a bit more context or explanation about what the ceremony is. Not much just a line or two to really ground us in the scene

I really like this! Mythology is a passion of mine so the mention of a temple and krakens definitely got my attention. I think I could use a bit more context and inner-thoughts to ground us in the scene and in Fenella’s head occasionally. Speaking of Fenella, I really like her so far; I get the sense that she doesn’t take things too seriously but not so overly flip that she won’t protect those she loves; also I love characters that are comfortable with their bodies and themselves and are a little bit rebellious. Of course, I could be reading her completely wrong but that’s the sense I get of her.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
ENTRY 12:
As experiences went, lying spread-eagled on a stone altar while a priestess sharpened her knife beside me wasn’t one I’d forget in a hurry. That blade looked evil, for starters. And the smile on Cressie’s blood-red lips showed just how much she relished her task. (space) Barbarian!

The evening tide advanced upon the open-air temple >dedicated< to the goddess Drina. Waves lapped against the rocks to my distant left, beyond the two stone columns that stood as a gateway to the sea and the krakens that haunted its depths. <- the structure of this sentence is quite messy. I suggest rearranging the words or splitting it into two.< A small mercy I wasn’t chained to those columns, awaiting my death one kraken mouthful at a time. Farther along the shoreline, to the north behind me, drummers beat a steady rhythm while islanders chanted around their towering bonfires. Wine and ale flowed freely, the same wine they’d forced down my throat earlier. Couldn’t fault the vintage, (comma) though.

“No, not now. For my ceremony the month after next.” >what ceremony is this?< For just a few seconds I imagined the full moon casting its silvery light over my nude body on the altar, my generous curves a stark contrast against the hard angles of the stone. I took the image a step farther: a gilt-framed portrait of the scene on display in our meeting hall for all to admire; I’d totally swing it as an artist’s model. “Peony will be naked.”

“Cover for me,” I whispered, clenching the opal in my fist, and slipped away. >why would she need to be covered for? Is she a huge part of the ceremony?<

No one from the procession even glanced my way; they were all too wrapped up in my precious, precious niece and her stick-thin arms and her stick-thin legs. I didn’t blame them. Only three weeks ago (delete comma) Peony had arrived far too early for her due date, barely surviving a long and difficult birth. Every breath she took since was a gift from Drina.

Summary: Hi hi!
I have to say that I love Fenella’s personality. It comes straight at us. She’s fun, funny, and entertaining. She has this carefree vibe while maintaining a very caring side. I think she’s a great protagonist to take us along this ride.
My biggest advice to you is to cut back on the description. Your second paragraph tried to show us everything at once. It sounds like a very lovely place, but to better paint this location I suggest cutting back and focusing on certain aspect of it at a time. I really think your story will improve once you cut back and tighten.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Stat of the day ;): This is my (only) entry.

Thank you all so much for your comments (and thank you to those who've volunteered to beta read when it's ready). You've all been so helpful and I really appreciate it. :)

I entered the project because a friend had read the first chapter and said she didn't really warm to Fenella; I wanted to see whether that was a problem other readers had as well. I'm relieved (and chuffed) she got a :Thumbs:. (And getting beta readers for her story is a bonus. :D)

I'm hoping the title didn't throw too many of you, btw.

Anyway, thanks again! (And if anybody else wants to crit or beta read, you're very welcome to add to this thread.) :)

ETA: I also worried about the fake-out opening cos another friend who'd read the opening chapter brought that up, but, hey, Fenella is the Fakelore Girl, after all. :evil

Last edited: