• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Entertwine Publishing

hsavage

Registered
Reaction score
Hi you guys! A friend of mine mentioned this publishing house being interested in her. Me, being the nosy person I am and trying to save her from some of the issues with small press, have been trying to find information on them. I can't find ANYTHING. Opinions or information from signed authors much appreciated.

http://entertwinepub.webs.com/

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
There's very little info on their about page which raises a red flag for me. Covers are so so. I think I saw them on Facebook or Twitter.

hsavage

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah they seem REALLY small, which already raises red flags for me. They're using a free domain name, which shouldn't worry me but it does lol.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Free domain worry is definitely a worry. Big one. It means they're a business that can't pay a very small sum for a professional web presence. I pay a very small sum for a professional web presence and I'm unemployed at the moment. This does not bode well for them, y'know, paying writers.

You also say they were interested in her. Just to clarify: did she submit, and then they expressed interest in the book? Or did they contact her out of the blue? Because the latter is a big, big red flag. Legit publishing houses don't need more slush.

ETA: vis-a-vis editing, you might read through these.

Two general guidelines apply as well. First, new+small publishers start up all the time and go bust all the time, catching overeager authors in the process. Give them a couple of years, see if they're still going. Sounds like you've already told your friend this. Second, in the meantime, make a list of all your friend's dream publishers (or agents). Start at the top with the biggest houses. "They're too big for my book!" Nonsense. If the book is good, it's a fit for any publisher. Sure, your friend is likely to get rejected by the some of the big players. Then move down the list to the slightly big players, the mid-size, the small-but-solid, the established small, and so on. There are convincing reasons to trunk a book before sending it to a publisher that can't get behind it. A trend might catch on in the future, making this an easier sell. Publish badly and it might not sell at all, which can have damaging long-term effects. There are loads of reasons to be careful.

Wishing your friend all the best with the book, and you in helping her. :)

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
It could be a typo for loos, too. You just never know what people are running through these days.

I didn't read enough to find all the really egregious stuff. I stopped when I realized it was nothing like professional level.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
They also can't figure out how to embed links, which looks sloppy and unprofessional, and the free domain site means they're okay with having a really obnoxious ad taking up the bottom inch of the screen. They also have no easy way to buy their books from their site, nor even a direct link to the Amazon pages. They don't really advertise the books very well at all; their "meet the authors" page only gives the titles and the "our books" page is a photo album. I'm not seeing scam, but I am seeing incompetent. Tell your friend to run far, far away.

Cassie Knight

Romance with Kick-Assitude!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassielknight.net
No way would I trust they would put out the best possible product they can for me as an author. I wouldn't do it now, and as much as I wanted to be published years ago, I wouldn't have then. I value my work, my efforts, too much to put in the hands of someone who thinks genre's is plural. I wish authors would stop thinking publishing is an entry level job and that just because they wrote or published a book or two, they are editors and publishers. For all of the opportunity self-publishing brought for authors, it hurt the industry by letting mostly well-intentioned, but clueless folks hang up their shingles in publishing, editing, cover art, marketing and agenting. Shame.

hsavage

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies everyone. I took a much different route in the publishing world than she did, so I'm just trying to keep her from getting scammed. I'm still querying agents, and I research everything before I even submit. She originally published with Secret Cravings which just shut down a couple days ago, so she's trying to get her books back out there. I just think she needs to find a reputable company lol.

hsavage

Registered
Reaction score
I spoke with her and she decided against them. She's considering self-publishing, but is trying to get in with a publisher first.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
I looked inside one book on Amazon. While the prologue (with two narrators) is in plain text, the entire first chapter is in italics. Plus an editor should have caught some of the clichés. But some of the editors are also authors. I'm not impressed.

Last edited:

FortressFire

Registered
Reaction score
checked them out!

Hi you guys! A friend of mine mentioned this publishing house being interested in her. Me, being the nosy person I am and trying to save her from some of the issues with small press, have been trying to find information on them. I can't find ANYTHING. Opinions or information from signed authors much appreciated.

http://entertwinepub.webs.com/

Ermm, they use createspace to upload their books. Maybe it's me, but I think they just help writers get their stuff out there. This is not a publishing company, it's more of a 'let me put the information in the website for you' place. I'm not sure why they call themselves a publishing company. Don't you have to be legal to do that and put it on a book? Or should?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site and TW are gone, FB ceased Oct '16.