• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ellora's Cave Publishing, Inc.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
That does seem bizarre considering all the things that came out. It seems to me that most of that stuff had actually been proven to be true, even if not included in the original post.

If I had to guess, I would say EC got their hands on something that could bury DA, and the settlement was a promise on their part not to release it. God only knows what that could be though.

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
And I'm honestly not sure what to make of the post at Dear Author about the lawsuit:

http://dearauthor.com/misc/update-ec-lawsuit/

It's worded so awkwardly it's obviously trying to do... something? I assume this post is a term of the settlement, worded carefully, if horribly. (if anyone ever wants a lesson in how passive voice can be used to obscure things, "It has been represented to me..." seems like an excellent example!).

But it's a bit weird that the current statement seems to be correcting things that weren't actually said in the original post... like, I don't see a spot in the original post where Patty Marks said EC was facing bankruptcy, so then... why does Jane have to clarify that Patty Marks didn't say that? Unless it came up in comments or something?

Does anybody know what's going on, here?

Don't know what's going on there, but I'd bet this has something to do with various comments on The Passive Voice articles that resulted from reposting Dear Author articles.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I know nothing (but am not Jon Snow) but my uneducated suspicion is that part of the terms of the settlement were that DA had to "correct" certain things in the post.

I think the bankruptcy bit is probably due to this hypothetical in the original CCoEC post:

What’s the result? Many people believe that EC will close its doors before the summer is over but at least by the end of the year. If it enters bankruptcy, author’s intellectual property rights are part of the estate and can be sold off to the highest bidder.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
So DA can't even appear to say or allude to what appears to be commonly-held extrapolation, at this point? Based on the timing of these royalty spurts, as coinciding with possible major author rights buybacks? Wowza. Although, having gone through something similar recently, I can understand Jane's reticence. Whatever. I'd be happier to see EC stick around and soar again, but given their apparent current business model and drastically trimmed staff, I don't give that a huge chance of happening. It would be $5 I'd happily give, though, if EC survives.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Oh I wish I had taken a screen cap... When I did a search on Ellora's Cave on Facebook and then looked for the latest posts, I found a post by Kathryn Falk of Romantic Times that linked to the latest DA post and said "Dear Author apologizes for making false statements and reveals the settlement with Ellora's Cave."

Uhm?... I'm assuming Falk is a friend of Jaid Black or something?

There were a few responses from what I assumed to be readers that were sort of "Rah rah evil DA." For example, one asked if anyone had figured out why she wrote those "lies" in the first place.

This reminds me why I rarely stop by the RT forum. I do still get the magazine because of the number of reviews and previews, but the editorial content has been "off" for years.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
The RT Twitter gaffe is being discussed on Twitter. I'm not impressed.

I get the magazine to keep abreast of reviews and ratings and the like.

I'll be keeping this in mind when my subscription comes up for review.

Supporting a company that doesn't pay their authors on time as per legally signed contacts leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

black13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lynneconnolly.com
Nobody won that court case, and I don't mean in the legal sense. Just that nobody came out well. If EC had used the money they spent on that case to pay authors and editors what they owed, who knows?

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I suspect it is more to do with Dear Author having a strong position that RT review are not credible dating back almost ten years now.

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Nobody won that court case, and I don't mean in the legal sense. Just that nobody came out well. If EC had used the money they spent on that case to pay authors and editors what they owed, who knows?

The court case is also not over. Also note that Jane didn't add to statements made about editors or cover artists.

It seems clear from the phrasing that Jane also doesn't believe EC…and neither should we.

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the result of DA vs EC. I can accept it, but I'm still disappointed (DA spoke about real problems, yet still pays the bill; then again EC didn't win either).

Also, JB is a scary lady. I watched her youtube videos, and I can't figure out why anyone would want to present themselves in such a way, especially someone who owns a business. Nothing she's done has helped the company.

It just frustrates me because so many things could've gone differently. Now, readers and writers alike are abandoning EC.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I tried clicking on that but I'm getting a Facebook error page saying it's been removed or the link isn't working. I also can't find any mention of it on either the convention page or the main magazine page.
Dang! Same here. Thank the dogs for screen caps yet again. :/

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
I tried clicking on that but I'm getting a Facebook error page saying it's been removed or the link isn't working. I also can't find any mention of it on either the convention page or the main magazine page.

Yep, and they also therefore removed my comment giving the accurate state of the case. :p

They did repost an apology, though.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
It says a lot that most of the points in DA's latest update regard rumors about Jaid Black. Those are the things that were important to EC to clear up? That Jaid never went on shopping sprees or bought a house? Okay then.

This lawsuit was about soothing someone's ego, IMO, and this just proves it.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
It says a lot that most of the points in DA's latest update regard rumors about Jaid Black. Those are the things that were important to EC to clear up? That Jaid never went on shopping sprees or bought a house? Okay then.

This lawsuit was about soothing someone's ego, IMO, and this just proves it.
That was my thought as well.

Most of the "corrections" Jane Litte posted were meaningless nitpicks. I'm guessing Dear Author wanted the lawsuit over with.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Well, JL posted an accounting for those who contributed to the defense fund, and all I can say is HOLY SHIT (pardon my French). The defense fund didn't cover even half of it. No wonder if she wanted it over with.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
That was my thought as well.

Most of the "corrections" Jane Litte posted were meaningless nitpicks. I'm guessing Dear Author wanted the lawsuit over with.

I don't see this as meaningless nitpicks. If you look at the rumors, they drew a clear correlation between EC's finances and Tina's spending. There's a felony implication tied up in that equation. Of course they want it to go away.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I don't see this as meaningless nitpicks. If you look at the rumors, they drew a clear correlation between EC's finances and Tina's spending. There's a felony implication tied up in that equation. Of course they want it to go away.

And if I remember correctly, weren't these "rumors" taken directly from posts Jaid made on her own Facebook page before they were quickly deleted?

And in a lawsuit, aren't the winner's court fees usually part of the judgement given against the loser? So DA's costs would have been covered if they hadn't settled and won the case against EC?

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
And in a lawsuit, aren't the winner's court fees usually part of the judgement given against the loser? So DA's costs would have been covered if they hadn't settled and won the case against EC?

No. The United States legal system is not a "loser pays" system.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
And if I remember correctly, weren't these "rumors" taken directly from posts Jaid made on her own Facebook page before they were quickly deleted? ...

Where they came from is a whole 'nother ball of wax. I was just commenting on why they weren't a nitpicking issue. There is relevance in the chatter, whatever the source.