• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ellora's Cave Publishing, Inc.

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Redbear1158

Foolish finagler of Folly
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe there are a few authors who are celebrating this, calling it karma biting DA or something. Way to side with a publisher who isn't paying its authors because you have some ongoing beef with a reviewer. How petty and selfish do you have to be to do that?

Smart Bitches's post on EC v. DA:
http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/blog/elloras-cave-sues-dear-author-more-streisand-effect

There will always be those that believe in what their head priestess tells them, no matter how foolish it may sound to the rest of us.

"It is because of your sins that God has withheld the rains and let your crops die in the fields!"

"It is because this woman doesn't believe in the greatness of our company that your books aren't selling -- it's because of her that we can't pay you on time! Tear her down and all will be right in the world!"

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug. -- Mark Twain

[FONT=&quot]A classic is something that everyone wants to have read and nobody wants to read. -- Mark Twain, "The Disappearance of Literature"[/FONT]

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I can't believe there are a few authors who are celebrating this, calling it karma biting DA or something. Way to side with a publisher who isn't paying its authors because you have some ongoing beef with a reviewer.

Saw that a lot with PublishAmerica back in the day. The hardcore loyalists would support and trust PA even if they weren't being paid. Of course, in the end they got treated pretty much the same as everyone else.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The weird thing is the gloating authors aren't even with EC as far as I can tell. It's all about sticking it to reviewers, and to DA in particular. I find that even more appalling.

Last edited:

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
The weird thing is the gloating authors aren't even with EC as far as I can tell. It's all about sticking it to reviewers, and to DA in particular. I find that even more appalling.

They're generally people who didn't like the reviews they, or a friend, got from DA or SBTB. Personally, I'd be happy to be reviewed at all.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
I’ve added a post to support EC authors who are leaving the publisher in various ways.

http://deirdre.net/elloras-cave-author-exodus-support-thread/

I’m hoping to make it a more complete resource of authors, editors, and cover artists who are (or have been) having issues with EC so that readers, authors who need editors, and authors who need cover artists can turn to them.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to a good guide for requesting rights reversion?

I've done it with other publishers more casually, but something tells me I should be a bit more formal with this one...

JennTX

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe there are a few authors who are celebrating this, calling it karma biting DA or something. Way to side with a publisher who isn't paying its authors because you have some ongoing beef with a reviewer. How petty and selfish do you have to be to do that?

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/blog/elloras-cave-sues-dear-author-more-streisand-effect

Heh, can't say I'm surprised that particular author is celebrating the lawsuit.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
If it's in Chancery Court you have to fight or the case can be defaulted to the plaintiff. In fact, I think in General Sessions it's usually the same. Not responding is not an option.
I can confirm this from my own experience in the USA. No matter how stupid and frivolous the suit, not responding is not an option.

- Victoria

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com

I saw that. What are they, five years old?! And I'm super-annoyed because I bought some of those authors' books. Apparently the Kool-Aid they have been drinking has chloroform or something that made them forget that they are authors, and authors are being screwed here.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
What a mess.

I feel for the EC authors, editors and artists who aren't getting paid and it really burns me to see EC focusing more on this one blog post (and DA) instead of fixing the REAL problem.

And EC has been crossed off my list as an author and a reader.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
I find the idea of trying to scare a blog run by a lawyer into removing it's post and turning over information with a lawsuit hilarious. I just have this mental image:

Jane opens the letter. Reads it. Looks to her left, at the shelves of romance novels, including a lot of EC authors from over the years. Looks to her right, at the leatherbound legal terms. Her lips pull back in a predatory smile, canines flashing. She writes two words on the bottom of the letter and slides it back into the envelope. She reseals it, flips it over, and writes "return to sender" on the front.

Jaid Black's lawyer's assistant frowns, confused by the return of the letter. He's been doing a bit of research since his boss got hired. He knows that EC failed to turn up for one of their previous cases. He knows they tried to sue their lawyer. He knows he really, really wants to find a new job before this whole thing goes down.

He opens the envelope. At the bottom of the letter, in Jane's neat handwriting, is her reply:

"Bring it."

More seriously, since this could lead to EC having to open its books, can Jane force them to if they try and back out? Discovery would be a real boon for the authors, but EC have a history of dropping cases when the threat alone doesn't get them what they want.

Last edited:

junierob

Registered
Reaction score
It's a little more complicated. Ohio doesn't have anti-SLAPP laws, which limits Jane's ability to have this dismissed, even though it's bogus. EC knows it's bogus, too, which indicates to me that the lawsuit itself isn't their point. It's a threat to other authors and bloggers, and an attempt to find out who the anonymous sources and commenters were. In my opinion, those people are the real targets, not Jane. And it's those people I worry about.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Jane opens the letter. Reads it. Looks to her left, at the shelves of romance novels, including a lot of EC authors from over the years. Looks to her right, at the leatherbound legal terms. Her lips pull back in a predatory smile, canines flashing. She writes two words on the bottom of the letter and slides it back into the envelope. She reseals it, flips it over, and writes "return to sender" on the front.

Jaid Black's lawyer's assistant frowns, confused by the return of the letter. He's been doing a bit of research since his boss got hired. He knows that EC failed to turn up for one of their previous cases. He knows they tried to sue their lawyer. He knows he really, really wants to find a new job before this whole thing goes down.

He opens the envelope. At the bottom of the letter, in Jane's neat handwriting, is her reply:

"Bring it."

Those aren't the two words I was expecting, but it's still a great story!

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
Tina Engler sent a memo to authors restating EC's position. No new information beyond confirming EC has filed a lawsuit against an unnamed blogger and the fact that EC is communicating with its authors. The large staff loss was not addressed.

I will say it's the most professional statement I've seen/heard from Engler in the almost five years I've been with EC.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Tina Engler sent a memo to authors restating EC's position. No new information beyond confirming EC has filed a lawsuit against an unnamed blogger and the fact that EC is communicating with its authors. The large staff loss was not addressed.

I will say it's the most professional statement I've seen/heard from Engler in the almost five years I've been with EC.

Was that e-mailed? I haven't gotten it...

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score

One thing I personally found interesting was that while she chose to emphasize that EC is current on author royalties--she says EC has never been late on a payment--she said not a word about the lack of payment to editors (and I assume cover artists, etc.).

Featured Book