• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Eirelander Publishing

*RomanceWriter*

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about this new publisher?
Their website says that books over 35,000 words will go to print after they sell 50 e-book copies.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Link: http://eirelanderpublishing.com/default.aspx

I try really hard not to judge a book by it’s cover. But often I find myself judging publishers by them. If they’re not willing to put money out for good cover art, what else are they skimping out on. That said, it might just be me who doesn’t like the covers. They have a ‘free read’ that you might want to take a look at to get a gauge on the quality they produce (I haven’t read it so I can’t comment). IMO-- The ‘book goes to print after 50 eBook sales’ is typical of quite a few quality eBook/POD publishers.

ETA: one thing I didnt like was this, from their FAQ page:
Q: I noticed you don't accept returns from bookstores?
A: We do. The terms of return for credit are negotiated between Eirelander Publishing and the book seller. These terms are kept private.

They might offer good discounts, but why not let those discounts be known? there may be a reason for it that I'm unaware of.

Last edited by a moderator:

rejectME

Registered
Reaction score
Link: http://eirelanderpublishing.com/default.aspx

I try really hard not to judge a book by it’s cover. But often I find myself judging publishers by them. If they’re not willing to put money out for good cover art, what else are they skimping out on. That said, it might just be me who doesn’t like the covers. They have a ‘free read’ that you might want to take a look at to get a gauge on the quality they produce (I haven’t read it so I can’t comment). IMO-- The ‘book goes to print after 50 eBook sales’ is typical of quite a few quality eBook/POD publishers.

ETA: one thing I didnt like was this, from their FAQ page:
Q: I noticed you don't accept returns from bookstores?
A: We do. The terms of return for credit are negotiated between Eirelander Publishing and the book seller. These terms are kept private.

They might offer good discounts, but why not let those discounts be known? there may be a reason for it that I'm unaware of.

This is curious to me as well. Given that I'm not in the publishing business, I don't know what the industry standard is, but I've seen some publishers say that they give 80% credit or payment on returned books. Maybe that's normal, but when I return something I want my money back. I am in no way saying that this publisher does or does not do that, but I thought it was intersting 'cause I don't know if publishers typically pay 100% on returns or not.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
One should also check how many of the authors are the staff and/or their pen name(s).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Whereever I go I check the romance shelves of bookstores for books from small presses, I have never seen any from this one. So whatever their deal is, not many bookstores seem to be taking them up on it.

Last edited:

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about this new publisher?
Their website says that books over 35,000 words will go to print after they sell 50 e-book copies.

Well, I suppose that ain't too bad. My current publisher requires 250 ebooks sold before going to print. On the other hand, if you can't find their books in any stores, well...

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
They are very hard sellers. Most print publishers want something at LEAST 40,000 words.

*RomanceWriter*

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
That's just what the website stated. My novel is 80,000 words. I think I'm going to pass on them for now.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Maja, being on amazon means nothing more than the book has an ISBN. PublishAmerica books are on amazon. Self-published books are on amazon. So to use it as a selling point to the publisher really doesn't work. Without promotion, no one is going to know it's there anyway. Majority of sales still are happening in bookstores right now, so if you want to see good print sales that's where you want to be. Not just on amazon.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
On Amazon.com, the website. We were talking about physical book stores. Website distribution is another discussion entirely.

rebecca royce

Finally here...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaroyce.com
They just opened

They just opened this month (October). I've actually sold a book there. The staff is extremely professional with a lot of years of publishing history behind them.

I've been thrilled with my experience.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
They just opened this month (October). I've actually sold a book there. The staff is extremely professional with a lot of years of publishing history behind them.

Define "a lot of years of publishing history".

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I see that she has published with small epublishers like Forbidden and Cobblestone (and New Concepts Press), and probably edited for similar outfits. That is not experience as a publisher, or with anything above micro-press/epublisher level, unless I missed something.

Last edited:

rebecca royce

Finally here...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaroyce.com
She's been publishing under many names. 30 years ago there weren't e-publishers. I'm going to stop commenting now. I like them, everyone is free to their opinion, and I'm certainly not going to argue.

Have a great day.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If we are to consider this publisher a cut above above the usual mayfly micropress, claims should be specific and verifiable, not just "she's great, take my word for it". The only name the owner has chosen to associate with this press has low level author credentials only, including self-publishing and disreputable small presses. If she has a greater claim to fame I can only wonder why it is being hidden under a bushel.

maja

Registered
Reaction score

yes thank you Rebecca.
The dealings i've had with Eirelander couldn't be better or more professional.
There is tremendous support but I'll tell you all what I like about it especially, there is a vision there and one that I feel comfortable to embrace and become a part of.
Condemnation not based on any tangible facts or evidence is always pretty easy to sling around especially when a compnay is newly opened.
I think we're gong to see some great things from Eirelander!

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Asking legitimate questions, ie - What is their distribution? What qualifications does XYZ have to run a publishing company? are not condemnations. They are important for any writer to know.

Writing for a publisher and being a publisher are two entirely different beasts. I can fill out my tax return, but that doesn't qualify me to be an accountant.

Saying a book can be found on Amazon isn't necessarily proof of anything other than someone could get it on Amazon. But who's going to buy it if they don't know it exists. I highly doubt your average reader is going to scroll through the literally millions of books available and just pick one out of thin air.

I don't care how nice my publisher is (though, for the record, mine are pretty great to write for. :D), I'm not looking for friends, I'm looking for a company that knows how to get my books into the hands of people I don't personally know, who don't live anywhere near me. I'm looking for a company run by people who know what they are doing, who have experience in doing what they are doing. Anyone can call themselves a publisher and I'm not about to sign away first rights on something I've spent months working on, for it to fall into a void because the publisher was really nice, but had no idea what they were doing...

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
The owner has been writing and editing for over 35 years.
Does she have any business management experience? Legal experience with contracts beyond signing them as an author? What publishers has she worked for in a capacity other than author or line editor?

Praise not based on any tangible facts or evidence is always pretty easy to sling around especially when a company is newly opened. Unproven publishers have cheerleaders, but what they need is proof.

I'll wait and see for at least two years before Eirelander comes anywhere near my list of potential publishers.

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Packaging is important. These are not professionally, or even competently, designed covers.

Be certain that readers do judge books by their covers.

Last edited:

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
Packaging is important. These are not professionally, or even competently, designed covers.

Be certain that a readers do judge books by their covers.

QFT

I've only ever picked up a book at the bookstore because the cover caught my eye. The blurb determines whether I actually bought it. But I can guarantee I never would have picked up any of the books in my little library if they had poor covers. And I know I'm not the only reader out there who shops like that.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Meh. Most ebook covers are pretty cheesey, imo. I've learned to ignore covers and go for the author name or the blurb.

EC has some pretty bad CGI people on theirs still sometimes. But I'm not going to not buy a book because of that.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

Registered
Reaction score
I got in, but it's slow loading and a lot of images are broken. Some pages seem to be broken as well. I still wish they'd get a better graphic artist, they look like my early projects from college.