• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dunow, Carlson & Lerner Literary Agency

Laura Droege

Registered
Reaction score
I e-mail queried Henry Dunow on Nov. 13, and haven't heard anything. I'll post if I get a response, but the website says they don't reply to e-mail queries they don't like, so it might be a silent no.
Well, it hasn't been that long, so don't write him off completely. I had an agent who said on her site that she replied to all queries in 2 months and it took her over 2 months to request a partial from me.

Last edited:

StellaArgentum

Enjoying the Adventure
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it hasn't been that long, so don't write him off completely. I had an agent who said on her site that she replied to all queries in 2 months and it took her over 2 months to request a partial from me.

That's encouraging to hear, Laura. :) I won't write him off yet, and I plan to wait until January to do my next batch of queries to allow for holiday delays (and let any potential slow-response agents have a chance!).

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Query sent

Submitted a query to Henry Dunow last night for my historical fiction. I have a feeling it will be a while before I hear back. Will post a response when I receive something.
Bryan

tessa

Registered
Reaction score
I mailed my query and 10 pages 2 weeks ago and received a very shabby (faded and off-centre) Dear Author rejection today.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From The Lunch:

Julia Kenny is joining Dunow Carlson & Lerner as an agent, rejoining her recent colleague Eleanor Jackson.

Scarlett_AU

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the link, VGeary. I mailed her today at the new email address and asked if I needed to resend my manuscript since she had moved on from Markson Thoma. Will post her once she responds. *fingers crossed*

Scarlett_AU

Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome. Also, congrats on your full request and good luck! Keep us posted. :)

Ta :). I mailed Julia and asked her if I needed to resend - she was wonderfully prompt and got back to me right away and said there was no need. She had the ms with her and would start reading soon. *fingers and toes crossed*

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Which agent would be the best to query for fantasy? I see quite a few rep. 'commercial fiction' in general, so it's hard to say.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Eleanor Jackson today, and got back an auto-response that she is out on maternity leave until February 3, 2015.

(And now I'm wondering: Do I query the other agent I was considering at this agency? Leave it, and assume Ms. Jackson will wade through eleventy-billion emails when she gets back? Assume she will quite sensibly dump her entire inbox to start fresh, and re-query her in Feb? What's the etiquette, here?)

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Queried Eleanor Jackson today, and got back an auto-response that she is out on maternity leave until February 3, 2015.

(And now I'm wondering: Do I query the other agent I was considering at this agency? Leave it, and assume Ms. Jackson will wade through eleventy-billion emails when she gets back? Assume she will quite sensibly dump her entire inbox to start fresh, and re-query her in Feb? What's the etiquette, here?)

If you would like to get your query process moving, I would resend your query to the other agent you were considering, and explain about receiving the "away" message from Ms. Jackson regarding maternity leave. I am quite certain, like every other successful business out there, that others pick up the slack so as not to preclude the company--and possible clients--from carrying on.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not that much of a process-stopper -- I'm far from putting all my querying eggs in this agency's basket -- but I think I will try the other agent. If she says no, I can always fall back to the first agent in a few months.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know if Eleanor Jackson has a blog, Twitter account, etc.? I'm curious to know if she came back from maternity leave as scheduled.

nadja1972

on submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrisandberg.com
According to querytracker, people have been getting responses from Eleanor on queries and submissions over the past month. I think she keeps a low profile on social media.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, nadja1972. Sounds like she's back to work, then; I'll give it a couple more weeks, then gently nudge.

loradavidoff

Registered
Reaction score
Edward Necarsulmer IV

Dear All,

Do you have any experience with Edward Necarsulmer IV? He joined Dunow, Carlson & Lerner.

Thanks a lot.

Lora Davidoff

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
This thread will probably be merged by the mods shortly, but I just wanted to add that though I never queried Mr. Necarsulmer, I did interview him along with a new client several years ago. (Here's that link, for anyone who's interested: http://www.kristavandolzer.com/2011/09/agent-author-chat-edward-necarsulmer-iv.html) I found him to be personable and EXTREMELY thorough. He didn't just slap a few sentences together and send them back to me; it was clear that he'd taken the time to really give his all.