• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

DSM Agency (Doris S. Michaels)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No personal experience, but they are an established agency.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
When CaoPaux says they're an established agency, it means they're legitimate. Did you Google them? Read everything on their site? Look at their page on Publisher's Marketplace (if they have one)? Check the websites of their clients?

That's all basic research, and it's the first thing(s) you should do.

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I checked out their website and the other sources. I wanted to know if anyone has dealt with them.

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Then why did you ask if they were any good and had the connections to make sales, if you already knew?

Because I wanted CAO's opinion on how good they are and on their connections. PM only lists 3 sales for them in 2007. Besides, it's a moot point. I already queried them.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because I wanted CAO's opinion on how good they are and on their connections. PM only lists 3 sales for them in 2007. Besides, it's a moot point. I already queried them.

Good luck! They are absolutely legit. I've seen the books they list on their website in the major stores and for me that's the biggest test.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
"Established" in this context means "has sold books you've heard of to publishers which put books on shelves".

I invite y'all to check out the new Evaluating Agents & Publishers section in the the Index, under the How To Find An Agent... heading. </shameless plug>

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
She's a major player. Here are some of her credentials ..
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/dsmichaels/. http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/peald.htm
http://www.bardonchinese.com/right list/Frankfurt_Hot_List_2008.pdf
What she's NOT looking for:
"Unfortunately, we are currently not interested in representing romance, coffee table books, art books, trivia, pop culture, humor, westerns, occult and supernatural, horror, poetry, textbooks, children’s books, picture books, film scripts, articles, cartoons and professional manuals."

NoblinGoblin

I write in bed.
Registered
Reaction score
Got a request today for a 2 week exclusive on a full. I had to be honest and tell them that there were a few other agents out there with partials/fulls, but went ahead and sent the full. Within an hour DSM sent me a rejection saying that my ms didn't "fit with their list."

Does this kind of thing happen a lot? This is the first time I've ever had an agent ask for an exclusive. I'm totally bummed because I've heard good things about this agency and feel like I've done something wrong.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
It could mean it just didn't fit with their list, nothing more, nothing less. Don't take it personally, and go to the next agent on your list. Good luck!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Michaels retired Nov '14. Clients ported to Sheree Bykofsky & Assocs.