• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Drollerie Press

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, JamieB. If I had a novel ms ready I'd submit to them just based on those gorgeous covers.

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
Waiting difficult, yeah. I've a sub out with them too, for a couple months, and man do I have my arthritic fingers crossed! So far I've had one story in an anthology with them.

Jess

TamMac

Potato-eater.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tamthewriter.blogspot.ca
Bah, waiting stinks. And, I hate to say that I think Drollerie have been really busy. They took a book of mine in early spring and I think they mentioned they were hiring new staff on to help with the overload.

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
I just had my stories come out in two different anthologies with them, "StereoOpticon" and "Bump in the Night" and must say their ebook presentation/layout/etc is the snazziest I've seen.

I remain very impressed with the quality and care that goes into producing works at Drollerie. :)

Senta

Registered
Reaction score
Needles & Bones by Drollerie

Drollerie just published a new collection 'Needles & Bones' of 'literary' and 'surreal' stories. It is so difficult to find a publisher - any kind of publisher - for 'literary' and 'surreal' (not even sure I would call it that, but out of the ordinary) and I am so happy because my story 'Heart of the Desert' is in it. Under my new pseudonym of Nyla Nox!
I worked on that story for many years and tried to get it published for many more years.
The cover, as always with Drollerie, is beautiful, and all the stories are a little unusual.
I hope this develops into a market for 'unusual' and 'literary'.
Great stuff.

Wallaceka

Registered
Reaction score
My first book, Assiniboin Girl, was just released by Drollerie. They are indeed a joy to work with and my cover art is lovely. I can't say enough about them!

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
What's the word on these guys? Their website looks great. many of their covers are brilliant (The Chocolatier’s Wife---wow! I would buy that book just by the cover!) but I can't tell if they do any print. I don’t mind submitting to an E-publisher, but I want them to at least do POD as well. I really really want to have my book in my hands. without that, it just doesnt feel...published. I know it's silly.

Does anyone have any experience with in this regard?

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader I'm a lover of Drollerie Books and as an author, I find Deena very professional and quick to answer any questions. I also love their authors chats, always a blast.

I wondered about the print status as well and just did a quick check. I notice they have a few books coming up later this year, including some I had bought earlier (which I'm really jazzed about). Meredith Holmes' Unseelie, Michael Boatman's (Yes, Spin City's Michael Boatman) Revenent Road and one of Joely Sue Burkhart's books.

Drollerie's Amazon list

I think like any small press using POD, they're moving the big sellers to print about a year after they release in ebook if my estimates are correct.

Another good thing with DP is they have a few audio contracts as well so some of their books are already in audio format through Audible and the UK's Action Audio.

This is a great company I think. I'd love to be pubbed by them. :)

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
A few cold hard facts.

Positives-
-Deena is a very nice person.
-Communication is good.
-Artwork is fabulous.
-Seems like a stable company.

Negatives-
-No distribution.
-Even if scheduled for print, books can be pulled from print list because of pub changes.
-Low sales.
-Constant delays for (fill in latest crisis)
-Editor has taken books (at least two that I know of) already in electronic release and chosen to rewrite them herself before going to print. A writer I know was told and decided that the book shouldn't go to print if those changes were mandatory.
-Edits can be given a day or so before release. That leads to editing errors because of rushed work. That's right, the author received the edits just before the release date and had to hurry to get them back.

Last edited:

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
A few cold hard facts.

Positives-
-Deena is a very nice person.
-Communication is good.
-Artwork is fabulous.
-Seems like a stable company.

Negatives-
-No distribution.
-Even if scheduled for print, books can be pulled from print list because of pub changes.
-Low sales.
-Editor has taken books (at least two that I know of) already in electronic release and chosen to rewrite them herself before going to print. A writer I know was told and decided that the book shouldn't go to print if those changes were mandatory.
-Edits can be given a day or so before release. That leads to editing errors because of rushed work. That's right, the author received the edits just before the release date and had to hurry to get them back.

Wow. That last bit about the editing is straight from PA's playbook. Was this just one author? Or? All of the publishers I've worked with have rigid editing standards and set release dates accordingly.

Low sales? As in double digits low?

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any proof for these accusations? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'd like to see something to back your claims up.

For what it's worth, I was privately contacted by two authors after my last post. They had similar complaints so...

joelysue

Registered
Reaction score
Website
joelysueburkhart.com
A few cold hard facts.
Negatives-
-No distribution.
-Low sales.

I've been with Drollerie since 2007 and I've seen the press grow from just a few stories to dozens. Yes, there have been delays and rocky patches. Growth is not always easy to accommodate. However, communication has always been open and honest. Distribution is growing--most of our works are available on Fictionwise, more formats are available including audio--and my sales have consistently gone up each quarter, although not stellar by any means. Drollerie is small, yes, but still growing.

I've had several stories of various lengths edited by Deena and another editor and I've never had my work rewritten. I've gone through several edit passes on the longer stories, and only quick passes through the shorter ones, but I've never felt like nothing but my best work has resulted. We have run close to the release date on final proofs, but I've always had plenty of time to do my detailed edits.

Deena's terrific to work with. If anything, my only complaint would be that Drollerie needs about a dozen of her. There have been staffing issues and the transitions haven't always been seamless, but she works tirelessly to get out our best work possible with gorgeous art inside and out.

Joely

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The proof of the pudding is in the sales figures. If anyone wants to send their figures to me confidentially I can post an anonymised average at ERECsite.com in the planned new "other genres" area (most of the current data is for erotic romance).