• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dorchester Publishing / Leisure Books

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone contact SFWA? I poked around a bit on their site but I'm not a member so don't have access to those areas.

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone contact SFWA? I poked around a bit on their site but I'm not a member so don't have access to those areas.

I only see the PR contact info on the general area of the site. Perhaps Ann or Victoria from Writer Beware might be a good place to start since this involves author rights. Some of those listed are past SFWA members like Anne McCaffrey.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
SFWA has an Estates project that has compiled a lot of info on members' estates--that might be a good place to start. I will notify the appropriate people.

I've been wondering how this reversion effort by Dorchester jibes with Amazon's purchase of the Dorchester backlist.

- Victoria

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been wondering how this reversion effort by Dorchester jibes with Amazon's purchase of the Dorchester backlist.
- Victoria
I don't know. I do know some authors are in negotiation with Amazon over the details of remaining with them. If Amazon offers promo, then I suspect they may stay, but I expect a lot to jump at first opportunity.

Dorchester going under was the best thing that could have ever happened to my writing career. I'm making a ton of money on my backlist.

Someone on here said earlier that it was going to get ugly - it's BEEN ugly since 2010. Very, very ugly.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
SFWA has an Estates project that has compiled a lot of info on members' estates--that might be a good place to start. I will notify the appropriate people.

I was thinking of their Estates Project when I wrote the above. Thanks for getting them in the loop!

Though honestly, Dorchester, you can't figure out how to contact Anne McCafferey's estate? Really?

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
It's my understanding that there are two streams of payments right now...one is for the backlog from Dorchester (dating back to 2011) and the other is for the new stories published under True Renditions.

ETA: I think they are up to September of 2011 on the Dorchester payments.

I just wanted to follow up with this. I received my check this week for a February, 2012 "True Story" piece (when Dorchester still owned the magazines). I hope others who were waiting for payments have also received theirs. Yes, it was over a year late, but I got it.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I just wanted to follow up with this. I received my check this week for a February, 2012 "True Story" piece (when Dorchester still owned the magazines). I hope others who were waiting for payments have also received theirs. Yes, it was over a year late, but I got it.
I've also seen some short eBooks that seem to contain pieces from True Story and other "trues." These eBooks collected by theme, usually going for around $2.99. I hope this is through a publisher who has the rights (perhaps Amazon?) and is paying the authors. :rolleyes

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to mention that I had a story published in the April True Confessions and I just received my check. This was one of the first issues that True Renditions released. I am hearing that others have also rec'd checks since True Renditions took over.
Just read this. It is good to hear.
I noticed that a book I had borrowed from the library which was Dorchester was selling as a Berkley imprint book online when I wanted to buy it (because it was so good.) So good to know some people didn't lose everything anyway. I'd be so angry if I was some of these authors.

Last edited: