• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dorchester Publishing / Leisure Books

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Jana- When you're not getting paid, no it isn't sad.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how many authors do they have left?

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Jana, if your royalty statements are wrong, will IRS believe them or you? Will you have to pay taxes on the money you didn't actually receive? Or will these erronious royalty statements lead IRS to Dorchester?

In the past IRS has shown a certain amount of interest in pay to play agent contracts when they are presented as cost of being a writer. The interest was in the agent, not the writer. IRS agaent to writer, "You need a new agent."

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Jana, if your royalty statements are wrong, will IRS believe them or you? Will you have to pay taxes on the money you didn't actually receive? Or will these erronious royalty statements lead IRS to Dorchester?

In the past IRS has shown a certain amount of interest in pay to play agent contracts when they are presented as cost of being a writer. The interest was in the agent, not the writer. IRS agaent to writer, "You need a new agent."
Unless you're using the accrual method of accounting, you recognize income when received and not when earned. And when I say "fictional" I mean that I think what I received under-reports sales, especially ebook sales. Even if I was on accrual basis, I'd be writing off the income accrued as a bad debt expense and the whole thing would still be a wash.

Publishers or resellers (for that matter) could easily be reporting all monies received, thus avoiding an IRS issue, but not passing the money along to publisher and authors. Your only recourse then is to audit and sue.

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I see you just used your checks for IRS.

I thought the royalty statement was like the 1099. I must have misread up thread because I thought your royalty statments were incorrect and, therefore, thought they might be for the IRS.

My confusion, sorry.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
No problem, stlight! I was a very boring, anal-retentive accountant in my former life. Could you tell? LOL

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Per Publisher's Lunch:

Prebich Reported Out At Ailing Dorchester, and More People News, Etc.
Former employees of Dorchester report that ceo John Prebich (who also ran the
company's magazine division, Dorchester Media) left the company on Friday.
Queries to Prebich and other remaining employees seeking confirmation were not
answered.

Paz

{insert something witty here}
Registered
Reaction score
Per Publisher's Lunch:

Prebich Reported Out At Ailing Dorchester, and More People News, Etc.
Former employees of Dorchester report that ceo John Prebich (who also ran the
company's magazine division, Dorchester Media) left the company on Friday.
Queries to Prebich and other remaining employees seeking confirmation were not
answered.

Good lord - this whole thing is such a disaster! My heart goes out to those who are still hitting that brick wall (writers, office employees, etc)...

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
New CEO

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...ign=3b719fa7b1-UA-15906914-1&utm_medium=email

After rumors surfaced over the weekend that Dorchester CEO John Prebich had left the struggling publisher, PW has confirmed that Prebich is indeed out and a new CEO has been named in Robert Anthony. Anthony, who was most recently CFO and CEO at Backe Marketing, is, per a statement from the house this morning, going to "revitalize" Dorchester, which has been under fire for not paying some of its authors and changing its plans, after announcing it was moving to an all-digital list.
The company, which now has six staffers, says it will be doing titles in both e-book and trade paperback. Also, previously unavailable backlist titles from Dorchester will now be available online at www.dorchesterpub.com. The publisher also said that it plans on releasing its winter e-book list on November 23. Tim DeYoung, head of sales for Dorchester, said the company plans a full trade paperback program program in January when it will begin re-issuing some of its major authors in that format. Dorchester will release five to six reissued paperbacks in the January through April period and will begin publishing new titles in both trade paperback and e-book formats in May, doing between five and 10 titles per month. Dorchester will be using Ingram Publisher Services to distribute the trade paperbacks and Ingram's Core Source for digital distribution. Titles will be released under the Dorchester Trade Publishing name, although DeYoung said the company will keep the Leisure Arts and Love Spell imprints and may add to them in time.

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Won't the trade paperbacks finish off the distribution they had left? Those books won't fit in the racks that hold mass market.

Let's see trade paperbacks are more expensive than mass market. So in the recession Dorchester expects readers to pay more money for books after crippling their distribution?

Maybe I'm different but that $4/5 increase between trade and mass market does keep me from opening my wallet. AND I don't have an ereader and am not likely to get one. Just saying.

Oh, and generally appalled by this mess.

DanielKoehler

reverse backward masker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smashwords.com
With the ebook Barbarians at the gates...

They had my thriller "The Sleeping Cab" for 16 months until I pulled it to publish as an ebook with Smashwords. Glad I did! I'm now on ibooks, Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, Kobo, and Diesel--not in a slushpile at Dorchester NYC.

Different paradigm these days for new authors. A UK author, JohnRobinson summed it up thus (and I'm paraphrasing): "It's not the rejection that wounds you; it's being ignored."

Perhaps others will disagree, but Ebooks are the most democratic, level-the-playing-field development in a long time for new authors, in my opinion.

Too bad about Dorchester. They got caught in a tsumami of a paradign shift. Maybe they can reinvent themselves as an ebook vendor but I wouldn't bet on it.

peakbloom

Registered
Reaction score
re: Yay Jana

Good for you Jana! I have to go over to SB and see what you did. I'm glad it worked! I've posted over there awhile back but have been offline due to a move.

I did write the RWA on Oct. 11 and asked advice in a very professional manner about the Dorchester lack of payment and how to proceed personally and also how to assist them--per your advice. No response.

Just read about the new CEO on the True Writers loop. Most are optimistic about payments. I'm neutral and leaning toward sceptical. After going over to Brian Keene's blog--well...things sound about the same for him. Lovely. I'll continue to follow this sad saga.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Peak - the only optimistic people are those that understand nothing about finance or are smoking left-handed cigarettes. :)

I'll be sure to post when I receive payment on all the money I'm due. Don't hold your breath.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
The people on the True Writers loop have always been optimistic about payments. Hope springs eternal over there, I guess.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if writers are still subbing to them?

para

Registered
Reaction score
This was posted on one of my yahoo groups. Apparently it was sent out in the wee small hours.

[FONT=&quot]Dear Authors:
You may have gleaned this information from the previous emailed press
release regarding Dorchester's new CEO, but several exciting changes are
happening at the company. In addition to Mr. Robert Anthony's
appointment, the imminent revamping of our Web site and release of Winter 2010 titles,
our old printer and warehouse, Offset Paperback Manufacturers, has
agreed to once again distribute single-copy sales of our inventory.

What this means to you:

. Your fans will be able to buy your books. All of your mass-market
paperback books that were in stock before the August 7 shutdown are back
in
stock. If you have readers who are interested in purchasing your books,
direct them to either www.dorchesterpub.com or to the Telecenter at
(800) 481-9191. These books will be accounted for individually and appear on
your May royalty statement.

. You'll be able to set up book signings. Bookstores can once again
order your books, provided they are willing to do so on a non-returnable
basis. Because of the caveat, depending on the number of copies they are
willing to buy, they will be granted a scaling discount. They should call the
Telecenter to set up orders. These books will also show up on your May
royalty statement.

. You'll continue to be able to purchase any stock you desire. Special
offer author discounts continue to apply, on a sliding scale dependent on
volume.

Things you should know:

. If your rights have reverted, Dorchester is still able to sell these
books. A caveat of our reversion notice allows for sales of all
pre-existing stock. Be assured that we are not going back to press on any of these
books in order to sell them at a discount.

. There will be a slightly longer turnaround time on all orders. Allow a
day or two longer for shipments, as some changes have taken place at the
warehouse that will slow fulfillment.
All in all, though, this is great news. Dorchester looks forward to
providing your fans with your books for as long as we have stock and the
rights-and we wish you the very best of luck in the continuance of your
careers. We hope to be part of them.

Our other current project is generating up-to-date royalty statements
and developing a payment plan to see that everyone gets what they are owed
in as timely a manner possible. The staff is revitalized and working through
each and every problem as it pops up. Any questions, please let me know. I
will be out of the office all next week for the holiday, but will be checking
my email whenever possible.

Best wishes for a Happy Thanksgiving,

Christopher Keeslar
Senior Editor

Dorchester Publishing Co., Inc.
200 Madison Avenue, Suite 2000
New York, NY 10016
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, single copy TRADE books. Why would I send my fans to pay $14.99 for a book that used to cost $6.99? I wouldn't do that even if I hadn't gotten my rights back already. It's just wrong. I don't buy trade paperback books unless they're on sale for my Nook - same with hardback. And it's not the money, it's the principle of the matter. There are very few authors that I can't wait to read until a book is release in MMP, especially as I don't have near as much time to read anymore, anyway.

But I especially love the part about getting authors paid. That part always makes me laugh.

peakbloom

Registered
Reaction score
re: dely now in printing Dorchester Media mags

Just received this email from Magazineline where I get all my True subscriptions. Not sure what this means. I've posted publically that I have nothing but empathy for people facing financial or other challenges--but question why the writers often get the info. through indirect means.

I had some optimism for payments and was actually considering submitting again. With this unexplained delay--not sure now. Brainstorm77--many have slowed down or totally stopped submitting. Others are continuing. The reactions to all this, naturally, are as diverse as the personalities of those writing for the mags.

The publisher of True Story and the other True titles has informed us there will be a delay in printing their December 2010 Issue. This will cause the magazine to be delivered up to 4 weeks late; however, you will still receive the full term of your subscription.
The following magazines will be affected:
True Story
True Romance
True Confessions
True Love
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Customer Service
www.MagazineLine.com
1-800-959-1676

Last edited:

Stlight

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quote from Dorchester provided by Para "You'll be able to set up book signings. Bookstores can once again order your books, provided they are willing to do so on a non-returnable
basis. Because of the caveat, depending on the number of copies they are willing to buy, they will be granted a scaling discount. They should call the Telecenter to set up orders. These books will also show up on your May royalty statement. - Dorchester

Isn't this counterproductive? Okay, isn't this one of those shooting yourself in the foot before the big race things?

Last edited:

peakbloom

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
Going back on this thread we can see that Jana DeLeon warned me and others about Dorchester Publishing. She got some resolution, for which I am sincerely happy. Not enough though. Others have posted about Dorchester. We've read the new CEO's announcements for a new day dawning, blah, blah. Dorchester's sister company which publishes True Story among other mags has temporarily ceased publication. That mag, for which I wrote 12 stories and have yet to see any money or explantions, is 91 years old. It is billed as the world's largest romance magazine. I'm curious if anyone can answer why I cannot find ONE glimmer or mention of this anywhere besides a writer's loop? Why would the media not pick up on this? The mag has a circulation of 250,000 worldwide. There are so many media angles to this story. Prebich's history. A bad economy. A mag going down with no mention that is a bit of an American icon that started during the Jazz Age. Just curious. Ticked. And amazed. Oh--another reason I am curious why the media is silent is this comes on the tail of the new Dorchester CEO asking for trust and encouraging writer's to stick with them. I am not super familiar with SFWA, but I believe they've been snookered.