*dons sunglasses* Let's do this!

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, Amazon KDP royalty payments arrive 2 months after the end of the month they're earned. So if you make money in March, it comes to you at the end of May.

Amazon Createspace payments arrive 1 month after the end of the month they're earned. So if you earn a profit there in January, it shows up at the end of February.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Most of my sales are through Amazon, and it turns out that they report earnings on a bit of a delay. It was a couple months before I got my first paycheck. I'm still figuring out the exact details of how that works, but I don't expect a new sales boom to be immediately accessible. (Ha, sales boom. Sales pop? Sales squeaky-mallet-noise? No delusions here.)

The actual payments are delayed, but you can still track sales orders on the daily graphs and the month-to-date reports. They're not completely real-time, but they're as close as you can get, and better than the reporting on any of the other channels.

Tavia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Eh, Amazon KDP royalty payments arrive 2 months after the end of the month they're earned. So if you make money in March, it comes to you at the end of May.

Well, I didn't get my January royalties until the end of March. But I knew what they were by Feb. 1! Which I think was what Marlynn was talking about -- not knowing whether her promo will have any impact until three months after the fact.

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
*shrug* Maybe I just haven't sold enough to make it really obvious. Further study of my BookBaby account does show some recent sales. It's just not yet at a level where they'll send me a direct deposit. Here's hoping that changes soon!

(I will be monitoring the sales list, for science.)

Last edited:

Dhewco

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize Amazon had a DD limit. I was under the impression that any sales were possible to be sent that way. I must have read it wrong. I know if you wanted a check by mail or some other transfer, it required a 100 in sales...but I thought for bank deposit it was possible to get my 20 or so in royalties sent. If I have to wait for a 100, I'm in trouble.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
The confusion here is that BookBaby is the one who uploaded the book. Which means BookBaby is the one with access to the money and sales data. Amazon is still doing what they usually do, but Marlynn doesn't have direct access to that. It's the usual set of problems that come with having someone else upload the book.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
The confusion here is that BookBaby is the one who uploaded the book. Which means BookBaby is the one with access to the money and sales data. Amazon is still doing what they usually do, but Marlynn doesn't have direct access to that. It's the usual set of problems that come with having someone else upload the book.

Ah, okay. I didn't see the whole BookBaby thing.

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
Annnd the advertising begins!

They have already tweeted a link to my mini showcase here, from what are either a couple different Twitter accounts run by the same people, or else other authors who've advertised with F&I are reblogging too. *shrug* Yay either way.

I might mention that in the time between when I set up the ad and now, I've been following F&I on Twitter and seeing the kind of things they tweet. I have noticed that these do appear to be largely ignored, despite the number of followers these folks have. Many posts have a single retweet, likely from the author being mentioned. Sigh. Not the rousing excitement that I was hoping for. Oh well.

Mayhaps it will do some good anyway. We will have to see!

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
I've gotten some Twitter action today, though it's honestly hard to tell if any of the new followers are actual people instead of bots/puppets. Oh well, I'll take it either way!

And let it be noted that the F&I people happily fixed the problem of the missing indents when I asked (the excerpt on that feature page didn't do well in the copy & paste from my email). It now has proper internet line breaks, and is much more legible. Good good.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I checked out your written and video interview. The video was fantastic. Also, very instructive. Not sure if you've ever taught, but it seems you have a knack for it.

You have something very special. I'm looking forward to reading more of your story.

Echoverse

Skull to Skull Reverb
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Looking good. :)

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
Thanks, you guys! I have actually done a bit of teaching, though I decided that doing homework for the rest of my life wasn't my dream. ;) I'd rather be writing for the rest of my life! (Maybe someday I can quit the day job, but we'll have to see.)

And in other news, one of my short stories has been selected for publication in an anthology -- still in the hush-hush early stages, but hooray! I shall share the good news properly when there's a Perhaps You'd Like To BUY ONE link.

It's a story about a main character from a sci-fi book that's been on the back burner for a while -- the full novel will feature alien poachers, a human veterinarian, and a vary large and miffed sign language gorilla. In space. It'll be fun when I eventually get it finished!

Last edited:

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
This is gonna be a busy summer! Aside from non-book-related things, I'll have two events almost back to back, and I'll need to pick two different segments of the book to read at them. (Preferably not the section I read in my TV interview. And they've got to be enticing, without giving too much away. Easy, right? :p )

The first event is the yearly Author Launch put on by the Redwood Writers, my local chapter of the California Writers' Club. It's a free event showcasing all of the new books put out by members during the last year. Well I've recently joined, and my book qualifies! This should be fun. We all get to read our snippets and sell our books -- I have a brand new Square Reader Thingamawhatsit for my smartphone, and I'll be ready for anything short of barter by goat.

This will be on Sunday, July 10th (in Santa Rosa CA). Two days later on Tuesday the 12th, I'll be reading at Copperfield's Hot Summer Nights. This is a smaller event, with just four authors reading each Tuesday, and it shall be fun in a different way. I'm looking forward to both readings!

I'll try to remember to get Author Selfies with some of the other writers, so we can team up to maximize our social media exposure. *cheesy grin* (Author Selfies are fun -- a great chance to network and help each other out.) I got this idea from the Bay Area Publisher's Association, another great local group.

And on top of all that, people can now buy print books as well as ebooks directly from my publisher which gives me much higher royalties than any other way! (Perfect for those of you fond of Sticking It To The Man.)

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
Many months ago, I bought ad space on Goodreads. The money ran out just recently. Given that it was whittled away by 50 cents every time someone clicked on the image, and given that I put down 50 dollars to be whittled away, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that it lasted this long. But unfortunately I didn't see much of a dramatic spike in sales. Really, I'll have to analyze the list of books sold to see if it made any difference at all. I've made more of an impact buying from Amazon myself, to restock the books I sell in person at my day job. Oh well. Live and learn! It was worth trying.

And in unrelated news, I finally put together an Author Facebook page. I was waffling over whether it was worth doing, and what the best approach was, but I realized that I'd like to be able to do professional networking on Facebook without strangers commenting on my baby pictures and family stuff. So, voila! I'm gonna fill it with updates and random art projects.

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
Anyone heard of Imzy? The new social media site in beta testing, which promises to have distinct improvements over the big names? Like anti-trolling measures. And no algorithm garbage. And the ability to filter out topic you don't want to see, like politics.

I got an invite, and I just set up my little corner of writerly funtimes! Care to join me? I have invitations to spare!

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
Hahaha, I just got my second royalties payment, and I think it's cuz I bought 3 copies of my own book off Amazon! (I was running low on copies to hand-sell at my day job.) Since there's a $50 minimum before BookBaby sends me my earnings, it sat there for a while at almost-enough-to-be-paid.

Either that or the ones that were sold ages ago finally made it through processing. It's hard to say; Amazon's kinda slow.

At any rate, yay! I gots money! And I am dutifully putting half of it away for taxes, like a responsible self-published author who heard that that's what you're supposed to do. Yes.

Whibs123

Registered
Reaction score
What was it about Bookbaby that made you want to partner with them for your release?

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
Mostly that they could do everything I was looking for in one place. Print, ebook, on Amazon but also through Ingram so bookstores will carry it, cover art, ISBNs etc. I was short on time (still am), and wasn't looking to do a half dozen different formats. It's worked out pretty well; it was a good choice for what I needed. (I understand it's less ideal for nonfiction that may need different editions, since it costs $$ to change more than simple typos, but I'm writing fiction that's Done When It's Printed, so all is well!)

Whibs123

Registered
Reaction score
Mostly that they could do everything I was looking for in one place. Print, ebook, on Amazon but also through Ingram so bookstores will carry it, cover art, ISBNs etc. I was short on time (still am), and wasn't looking to do a half dozen different formats. It's worked out pretty well; it was a good choice for what I needed. (I understand it's less ideal for nonfiction that may need different editions, since it costs $$ to change more than simple typos, but I'm writing fiction that's Done When It's Printed, so all is well!)

Thanks for the information. I can understand that process, and wanting to farm it out a bit. You might run into a bit of a headache if you ever part ways wtih them, if you used their ISBN, but I sincerely hope everything works out for you.

p.s.w. gear

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to hop in and say thanks for writing all of this. It's been good to read through your experiences - I especially love the bit about printing bookmarks. Totally never thought of it! Did you find that people enjoyed them?

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
You might run into a bit of a headache if you ever part ways with them, if you used their ISBN

To my understanding, the ISBN is mine now, assigned to the book, not connected to them. There really don't seem to be many strings at all to keep me from doing later books with someone else (though I probably won't want to.) Thanks, though!

Just wanted to hop in and say thanks for writing all of this. It's been good to read through your experiences - I especially love the bit about printing bookmarks. Totally never thought of it! Did you find that people enjoyed them?

Thanks, I'm glad it's helpful/fun! The bookmarks have been great. People do think they're cool, and worth keeping -- these are business cards for the book that people want to hang onto! It's particularly handy at my day job, when people express passing interest in the book. ("Oh, you wrote a book; that's nice!" "Yeah, I had a lot of fun with it! Here, have a bookmark!") I'd definitely recommend it.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving