• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dog Ear Publishing

FiveStagesToNormal

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone worked with them? I've done a ton of research, and have only heard good things. I'm planning on using them for my book in the next month or so, and would love to hear if anyone here has any experience with them.

I did a search and nothing came up, so forgive me if I missed it and there is a thread already on Dog Ear.

tia!

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
The existing thread is here. The easiest place to look first is in the index stickied at the top of the main page of this sub-forum. :) I'm sure a mod will merge this with that thread shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
They're charging a grand to publish your book. What do you think the chances are that you'll make that money back in royalties within a year? What are they doing that you can't do for yourself (or organise yourself) elsewhere and more cheaply?

ETA - although I do love the fact that they view their competition as including PublishAmerica and Tate Publishing.

MM

Last edited:

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Welcome to AW FiveStages. Since you may not have seen the threads yet on PublishAmerica and Tate Publishing, Momento was being a bit tongue in cheek. If Dog Ear thinks those two companies are its competition, it reflects how low they are, like worse then rock bottom. They bilk their authors for $$$ and sell to their authors not readers (among other things. You should scan the PA and Tate threads).

Basically, you should stay away from Dog Ear as well as PublishAmerica and Tate Publishing. They are vanity presses of the lowest quality that disguise themselves as real publishers -- their not.

In our historian's office at work we are selling some books by a local author printed by Dog Ear. It's only an 80 page book and it sells for $15.00. Pretty steep considering you also pay more than a grand to get them printed. The quality is terrible, and the photos in the book are plan awful -- very gray. It's hard to tell what the picture is.

Needless to say we have had them for sale in our office for over a year and haven't sold one. The local bookstore has sold maybe 5. They were brought around by the author so you will not see any distribution into stores by Dog Ear. You can tell there was no editing so why pay all that money to them that you will never recoup?

If you are going to self publish, Lulu or createspace are good choices. The quality is good and the profit is yours. Neither place charges you to print them since they are POD. (Createspace has packages that offer extra services if you want them to do everything for you, but you don't need to go that route.) You can see for yourself how many books you sold. My advice is to do some more research.

Little Tommy

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hi every one thanks for welcoming to the Water Cooler. I was wondering if any one can tell me about Dog Ear Publishing and or Dorrance Publishing. Thanks for your feed back on this subject

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
For future reference, the index to publishers is here: :)
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792

There's only one thread per publisher (with the exception of the two subforums at the the top of the forum.)

From the index above,

Dog Ear <snipped>

Dorrance http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8500

(From a quick glance at the threads, looks like these are both vanity publishers. Self publishing is cheaper. Trade publishing pays you -- not vice versa. I see no reason to use either of these.)
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Little Tommy

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the reply since I posted I have done more research. P&E does not recommend Dorrance. I understand they are very expensive. Their own paperwork states that most people do not recoupe what they pay for them to publish. So far I have not found much on Dog Ear. My daughter suggested them and since I was unable to find much on them I thought this would be a good time to ask.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Little Tommy, have you considered seeking commercial publication, or self-publishing, rather than paying a vanity press?

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, dear. In March this year Dog Ear published a 36-page children's illustrated book priced at $19.99 hardback, $12.99 paperback, $9.99 Kindle - and whoever wrote the back cover copy used the word "complimented" instead of "complemented". Very professional!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm trying to figure out if Dog Eared Reviews is the same outfit. They're spamming Craigslist with 'buy books, give a 4 or 5 star Amazon review, and we'll reimburse you for the book as well as pay you extra for the review.'

http://dog-eared-reviews.com/readers

Ugh, I hate paid review schemes.

MKostroff

Registered
Reaction score
Stay Away from Dog Ear

Has anyone had any dealings with or know anything about Dog Ear Publishing?

Hi Rose,

I have to warn you in the strongest terms not to use Dog Ear Publishing.

A while after my book was published, it occurred to me that I was not receiving royalty payments in accordance with Dog Ear's posted schedule. After months of hounding, I finally received a check. Then it happened again. Months without a payment. This time, I got no response to my inquiries. I had a lawyer send a letter. No response. They were contacted by the Alliance of Independent Authors. No response. The Better Business Bureau has now REVOKED THEIR ACCREDITATION. They've been reported by several of us to the Attorney General of Indiana, and there are more actions to come.

I've had to contact them to cancel our contract and take my book out of print. I will now be publishing with a new company, at considerable expense. And I still have not been payed overdue royalties.

I promise, I tried every possible way to make this situation end amicably.

Please, please don't work with Dog Ear. I don't want any writer to go through what I'm going through.

Michael

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Rose,

I have to warn you in the strongest terms not to use Dog Ear Publishing.

A while after my book was published, it occurred to me that I was not receiving royalty payments in accordance with Dog Ear's posted schedule. After months of hounding, I finally received a check. Then it happened again. Months without a payment. This time, I got no response to my inquiries. I had a lawyer send a letter. No response. They were contacted by the Alliance of Independent Authors. No response. The Better Business Bureau has now REVOKED THEIR ACCREDITATION. They've been reported by several of us to the Attorney General of Indiana, and there are more actions to come.

I've had to contact them to cancel our contract and take my book out of print. I will now be publishing with a new company, at considerable expense. And I still have not been payed overdue royalties.

I promise, I tried every possible way to make this situation end amicably.

Please, please don't work with Dog Ear. I don't want any writer to go through what I'm going through.

Michael

MKostroff, if you're paying ANY company to publish your book- Dog Ear or whoever your new publisher is - you're getting suckered. It's called "vanity publishing," and in that business arrangement you are pretty much guaranteed never to see a return on your investment.

In trade publishing, the publisher pays YOU. You don't pay them a dime. Any time a publisher wants you to pay them for ANYTHING - run.

P.S. RoseM, the original poster, started this thread in 2005, hung around for about a month and then disappeared. I fear your warning is a little late.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
https://selfpublishingadvice.org/dog-ear-publishing-alert/

"We have heard from several authors who allege they have been waiting months for payments on royalties due. Emails and phone calls to the company reportedly go unanswered. In at least two of these cases, the authors sent legal notices via certified mail, demanding immediate payment of overdue royalties and an accurate accounting of sales.

"On March 7th, the US Better Business Bureau (BBB) posted an announcement stating that Dog Ear Publishing’s accreditation has been suspended due to failure to respond to complaints.

"Additionally, the BBB site now lists 29 complaints against Dog Ear Publishing, 20 of which were filed in the last 12 months.

"On March 8th, Dog Ear Publishing removed all mention of BBB accreditation from its website.

"However, the company continues to solicit new business and collect payment from authors.

"Perhaps the most important responsibility of any publishing service is to provide timely and accurate accounting, and prompt payment of royalties.

"Accordingly, we have assigned Dog Ear Publishing our most severe level of warning: Watchdog Advisory."