Does the languid summer affect your writing routine?

Golak

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Vancouver, Canada and our summer is short. So I constantly find myself gazing out the window while I'm at work and having that telltale FOMO of everyone else having a blast and here I am stuck at work lol. (I know it's crazy, because all my friends and family have full time jobs and they're just as stuck in their work places as I am.)

Then there's also my writing routine that is taking a blow. I can't seem to focus on revising a few very important scenes in my MS, while simultaneously working on my query. I keep thinking that these sunny summer days are short lived in my city and I have to grab it while I can.

Do you feel the same way?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
During the first heat wave, when nothing in me feels right and there's a headache, is worst. If i can get through that, I can get back into the swing of things.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I live where summers are short, too. At first, I feel the same. I should be outside! I should be at a beach, on a hike, planting flowers, visiting the park...

Then it gets humid and/or hot, and I'm inside nearly as much as during the long winter--and when I look out, I see tasks that need doing. The weeds are horrible this year; lots of rain.

Golak

Registered
Reaction score
I live where summers are short, too. At first, I feel the same. I should be outside! I should be at a beach, on a hike, planting flowers, visiting the park...

Then it gets humid and/or hot, and I'm inside nearly as much as during the long winter--and when I look out, I see tasks that need doing. The weeds are horrible this year; lots of rain.
I hear you. July is exceptionally beautiful here, but unfortunately the forest fires start too and it's heart wrenching to see the smoke and devastation. So I spend August and September praying for rain.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile, we're having an uncommonly rainy summer. It rains literally about every 36 hours. Everything is so green you'd think you're in Ireland, except for the lack of sheep, charming accents, and the presence of snakes.

But my god, the weeds are insane. Taller than a grown woman.

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
I am there and we’re seeing lots of rain, the wettest July thus far in years!

Having said that, spring/summer is when I write the most. I got into the habit of writing in the garden in a deck chair a few years ago and have written over four novels with that method, plus a few more in progress. During whatever dry, non-rainy and hopefully sunny spells I can get. Last summer was quite wet too, especially June IIRC, and I only wrote half a novel last year (but I was also a bit burnt out so that may have played a bigger role).

You'd think the long, dark winters when we’re cooped up inside for months would be much more conducive to writing, but for me, no. I barely write at all, or mostly not at all, during the winter months, spending my free time watching movies and old TV shows instead! It’s a habit I want to break; I want to start writing in winter too. I do often spend a lot of time editing, revising, and submitting in winter, though, so there’s that at least. But generative work/writing something new? Spring and especially summer all the way!

Last edited:

jstrumski

Registered
Reaction score
My daily routine is important to me, so the biggest summer obstacle is having my family home all day for 3 months. My son, of course, but also my wife (since she is a teacher). I like both of them quite a lot, so they can be a bit distracting.

To be fair though, I'm pretty good at procrastinating when they're not here too.

Norsebard

Registered
Reaction score
Golak said:
Does the languid summer affect your writing routine?

:unsure: Not really. I write just as much during the summer as I do during the grim & dark winter months.

Winter is definitely my favorite time for writing, though, because of the unfortunate weather issues that summer can bring - thunderstorms that create blackouts, and sudden cloud bursts that require my immediate attention around the house.

Back in the day when we actually had snow in the winter, it could also create power disruptions if it weighed down the overland power lines, but 1) most of the lines have been dug into the ground now, and 2) it rarely snows anymore.

Norsebard

Reactions: owlion and Golak

Valpur

Registered
Reaction score
Northern Italy here, which means summers are:
- hot
- humid
- riddled with mosquitos (since in my area they grow mostly rice, flooded fields and all; combine that with a generous amount of lakes and rivers, and you have the perfect spawning pool for those little devils. Did I mention I'm allergic to mosquito bites? Fun.)

I can barely function in this heat, let alone be creatively productive.

Can I have my chilly nights back? Please?

worrdz

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who wants summer is welcome to an infusion of the heat and humidity we get. All. Summer. Long.
We were in the 90sF before July hit. :-(

The older I get, the less I enjoy—let alone tolerate—summer.
Never mind its impact on the electric bill.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Anyone who wants summer is welcome to an infusion of the heat and humidity we get. All. Summer. Long.

I think we have higher electric bills in the winter...

When I am home, I am trying to write, winter or summer... But in winter, when it is cold, my brain shuts up and longs for hibernation... I guess I might be a werebear...

worrdz

Registered
Reaction score
I think we have higher electric bills in the winter...

When I am home, I am trying to write, winter or summer... But in winter, when it is cold, my brain shuts up and longs for hibernation... I guess I might be a werebear...
Our heat is via natural gas.

Reactions: Elenitsa and Golak

Golak

Registered
Reaction score
I am there and we’re seeing lots of rain, the wettest July thus far in years!

Having said that, spring/summer is when I write the most. I got into the habit of writing in the garden in a deck chair a few years ago and have written over four novels with that method, plus a few more in progress. During whatever dry, non-rainy and hopefully sunny spells I can get. Last summer was quite wet too, especially June IIRC, and I only wrote half a novel last year (but I was also a bit burnt out so that may have played a bigger role).

You'd think the long, dark winters when we’re cooped up inside for months would be much more conducive to writing, but for me, no. I barely write at all, or mostly not at all, during the winter months, spending my free time watching movies and old TV shows instead! It’s a habit I want to break; I want to start writing in winter too. I do often spend a lot of time editing, revising, and submitting in winter, though, so there’s that at least. But generative work/writing something new? Spring and especially summer all the way!
I can't really say which months I write more, haven't paid much attention to it. But I know for sure that I can't stop looking outside during the warmer days and working and writing becomes harder. It's so cool to see how people have different habits and different comfort zones.

Reactions: Elenitsa

Golak

Registered
Reaction score
:unsure: Not really. I write just as much during the summer as I do during the grim & dark winter months.

Winter is definitely my favorite time for writing, though, because of the unfortunate weather issues that summer can bring - thunderstorms that create blackouts, and sudden cloud bursts that require my immediate attention around the house.

Back in the day when we actually had snow in the winter, it could also create power disruptions if it weighed down the overland power lines, but 1) most of the lines have been dug into the ground now, and 2) it rarely snows anymore.

Norsebard
We rarely get snow in the West Coast. It snows rather heavily for one or two days and then the rain starts and washes the snow away. But I love staying indoor during the rain season, because as much as I love outdoor activities, I don't enjoy the dampness.

I think my brain is designed to enjoy warmth and sun, perhaps because I'm from the Middle East and that's what I grew up with.

Golak

Registered
Reaction score

Oh yes that's an issue here too. The electric bill.

So most houses and apartments don't have an AC here (because prior to the last few years, there was no need for it.)

Reactions: Elenitsa and worrdz

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up mostly in PA so I know the feeling of a kid stuck in the house on the first warm day of Spring. I live in LA now and this time of year "I'm an air condition gypsy". You get cabin fever in Feb back east, and you get it in August out here, unless you can go to the beach every day. That said, hiding from the weather has not helped me write consistently this summer. It's an idea that I lack, hahahaha, something to pull me back to the keyboard every day. Ain't happenin' so far, but if I keep drilling, pounding on the keyboard. make eventually I'll strike oil. Ha, don't know for sure but it's either that or wait for inspiration. But I am not feeling inspired.

Reactions: Golak and worrdz

StarsForScales

Registered
Reaction score
During the first heat wave, when nothing in me feels right and there's a headache, is worst. If i can get through that, I can get back into the swing of things.

Same here. I try to write as much during the summer as the winter, but when it's 30C-feels-like-39C outside, as it is today, trying to stir the pudding of my brain into some solid, productive shape doesn't always work so well.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
I have heat sensitivity so if the summer is hot, I find it really tough trying to write (at about 27C I'll be indoors all day with the curtains drawn and a fan on and still be melting). I usually try to write in the morning before the temperature rises too much, but during a heatwave I just feel unwell the whole time.

So I feel kind of guilty for being relieved this summer hasn't been too bad so far! It's a good summer for me, but I feel bad how disappointing it is for everyone else.

Golak

Registered
Reaction score
I have heat sensitivity so if the summer is hot, I find it really tough trying to write (at about 27C I'll be indoors all day with the curtains drawn and a fan on and still be melting). I usually try to write in the morning before the temperature rises too much, but during a heatwave I just feel unwell the whole time.

So I feel kind of guilty for being relieved this summer hasn't been too bad so far! It's a good summer for me, but I feel bad how disappointing it is for everyone else.
I'm sorry for your sensitivity. I can imagine how frustrating it can be. But believe me, from what I'm reading here, most people enjoy moderate summers LOL. I think it's just me and my need for sun and warmer weather conditions.

• Hug
Reactions: Elenitsa and owlion

CMBright

Cats are easy, Mice are tough
Registered
Reaction score
Growing up in Minnesota, I found the summers were too hot. Mid-90s seemed to be about my line for too hot in Minnesota, Michigan and Iowa visiting scattered relatives during the summer. Now, it is closer to mid-80s that is too hot, especially if there is any significant humidity. Not that I enjoyed writing back then. I tended to be outside biking, playing, swimming. Or inside watching TV or reading with the fan pointing on me.

Which is why I stay in the air conditioning where the heat doesn't really affect me here in Oklahoma. When I'm up for walking, it takes an hour or so to cool down afterward before I can write. I am trying to walk when the temp/humidity is decent in the mornings. There are mornings I don't go because it feels too damn hot. Or I start writing before walking and it gets late enough in the morning that its too damn hot.

Reactions: Golak