Do you own any rare books?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

mschenk2016

Registered
Reaction score
I have a first edition US copy of Dracula. It's in pretty good shape but I keep a separate leather bound copy for regular reading.

We also have a limited edition leather bound copy of Outlander signed by Diana Gabaldon with a certificate of authenticity.

Maryn

Fully Autumnal
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of, although not as valuable or collectible as yours.

At one time I devoured my dad's science fiction hardcovers, so when he died I took the ones that were still in the house. He'd been ill, unable to read, for years and apparently many were donated during that time.

Of the few dozen that are now mine, some are first editions from the 1940s and 1950s, with values in the low hundreds the last time I looked them up. I don't see myself selling them, although when I die I expect our kids will.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Registered
Reaction score
“Rare” as in valuable? I don’t think so.

I have some uncommon old books — stuff like bound editions of farm magazines from the 1850s — that weren’t valuable when I bought them and I don’t expect are now. (I just like to browse them.)

I also have some bound editions of National Geographic magazine from the 1910s, but I doubt they’re terribly rare.

Have a few signed recent novels, but not valuable stuff.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
We have an 1891 printing of "A Yankee In King Arthur's Court" (I guess it got renamed later). We also have an 1885 printing of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and an 1895 printing of "The King In Yellow" with an interesting cover. We have a copy of the 1934 Grosset & Dunlap first edition of "Fer-de-Lance" without dust jacket, with a fascimile of the Farrar & Reinhart dust jacket on it.

I'm not sure any of these are incredibly valuable, but we enjoy them.

Reactions: Introversion

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As far as rare, I have five of the about 15 known copies of my first novel, printed POD by a scammy publisher. I did find on Amazon a signed copy (it is my sig). I only signed about 5 which I gave away as gifts, and I couldn't help but wonder WHO GAVE AWAY MY BOOK?!?!? Rare yes, valuable no.

I did have some hard-to-find non-fic technical books that are classics in the discipline, but nothing that was worth anything to outsiders. As much as I love books, I'm too cheap to invest in valuable ones.

Ed_in_Bed

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a first edition of Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein, which probably isn't that rare but it's worth about a hundred quid I think.

ChaseJxyz

Writes birds and bird accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I have some zines that probably only ever had one all printing
I also have Expedition by Wayne Barlowe. I want a copy of an After Man by Dougal Dixon but it's always $300+ when I find a copy on sale....
I also also have a signed copy of Sonichu issue #0, signed by the author, from the Lulu print run (which was the first) and I'm sure I am probably the only person on this forum who knows what any of that means.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Ash Tree Press did a hardcover of all of M R James' supernatural short stories and writings back in 2001 in a limited edition. I got one at the time for about fifty pounds. They go for over 500 in the collector's market now.

MaeZe

Registered
Reaction score
I have a first edition, first printing of Atlas Shrugged I found in a book store and I have a first edition of Gone with the Wind I found in an old house the day before they flattened to build something else on the lot.

Neither are worth much without the dust jackets and the GwtW isn't a first printing so it's worth even less but to me these are great things because I found them treasure hunting. ;)

I have a bunch of very old kids books, not sure what's all there. I collected them because I love the artwork in them.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe not rare (several nearby libraries have copies), but I am kicking myself for not picking it up when I had the chance: "Primer for White Folks" from 1945. I saw it at a garage sale for like 25 cents 20-some years ago, and they sell for over $50. I thought it was a children's book when I saw it, and couldn't imagine what it might have said. I recall making a comment to a friend about it, then moving on. With contributions by Du Bois, Langston Hughes, Dorothy Parker, etc. it would hardly be a children's book. I would be fascinated to see that thinking was at the forefront of race relations at the time. I've done some reading of Du Bois, Hughes, Richard Wright and Ralph Ellison from that time period, and although dated still hold up.

Happy Thanksgiving

Autumn image for Thanksgiving