• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Diversify or slog on...

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

N.E.Synner

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, me again.
Hope everyone had a good weekend!
Quick question, if you have multiple ideas to work on, do you flit from one to the other if you get stuck on one? Or do you focus on one and stick with it until it's done, even if you can't quite see where you're going with it?

Reactions: TheRyustyNail

Maryn

Masked, Vaxed, Traveling
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(This probably belongs on a different board, since it's not related to being a new member. Scan the list of Forums and the boards and pick a more appropriate spot, then message this board's moderators Izz and regdog, asking that it be moved there.)

I'm 85% in on Finish What You Start. If you never finish a story, novel, script, or poem, what you have is of no value. So to that end, I think it's fine to have one writing project that's your main thing you're trying to finish, and one alternate you work on when you're totally stuck, burned out, or cannot work on your main this for some other reason.

But there's also 15% of me that understands that sometimes you're well into a writing venture before you realize it's a steaming pile of donkey dung and deserves no more of your effort. (Don't delete it, just move it to another fine. Mine's named Abandoned.) When you reach that realization and cannot conceive of a way to change it for the better, quitting is just fine--and you have that other thing you've been working on now and again.

What I don't find workable, for me at least, is having six or ten or fifty things I flit among (I can't quite envision myself flitting, to be honest), adding a line here, a paragraph there, two pages somewhere else, a bit of snappy dialogue dropped into a scene. Bouncing between more than two projects means I won't get my head fully into any of them, and that shows in the end results--if indeed I ever reach the end of any of them.

Maryn, who doesn't

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Hi N.E. :)

Just going to move your thread to Basic Writing Questions as you'll likely get more responses there :)

ETA: Just saw Maryn's post. Apologies if I jumped the gun in moving thread here. N.E., perhaps in future if you're unsure where to post a question just flick me or any of the other moderators a message through the little envelope at the top right of the AW window and we'll help you pick a good spot to start the thread :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
+1 to Maryn. I'll have a main project and an alternate project, but any more and it all starts to unravel.

Reactions: kinokonoronin

ChaseJxyz

Writes birds and bird accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I have one main project most of my bandwidth goes to and various smaller things that I'll work on here or there. It's like desk toys you fiddle with while you try to work a solution out to a problem or getting out of town for the weekend: a change of "scenery" or pace is refreshing and keeps me from getting burnt out. It also gives me things to do when my main project has to be on pause (like when I'm waiting on feedback from other people).

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
I have one main project, with daily writing expectations. There's a certain amount of time I set aside each day for the main project. I do have other WIPs, but usually only one or two I'm actively working on and usually only if I've already put time into the main project that day. The main project is novel-length, the rest tend to be short stories (sometimes novelette/novella length, usually on accident).

I think especially if you're writing longform, splitting your attention between 3+ projects will make it very difficult to reach a state of completion. Of course, I'm sure this is mitigated if you can write full-time, but I don't think that describes most of us.

TheRyustyNail

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, me again.
Hope everyone had a good weekend!
Quick question, if you have multiple ideas to work on, do you flit from one to the other if you get stuck on one? Or do you focus on one and stick with it until it's done, even if you can't quite see where you're going with it?
For me, the hardest part of writing is the first draft. I force myself to finish the first draft of whatever story I'm on, but for the subsequent drafts I jump from piece to piece.

Usually, I have 3 or 4 projects I work on at a time and I bounce between them when my inspiration for one story hits a speed bump. That said, I don't take more than a week off from a piece of fiction. If I do, I lose my place and the feel for the narrative.

Featured Book