• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display Site] The Next Big Writer / Booksie / LitLink

Booksie Guy

Hi Lance,

At launch we hadn't added those features but they are now in place. The site features jacket covers as well as direct links to Amazon for readers to purchase the book or a related book.

You can view one author's page below:

http://www.booksie.com/library/index.html/read/475

We now receive tens of thousands of reader visits per month and are growing quickly. The site is free and offers writers another way to promote their writing and interact with readers.

- Booksie Guy

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
It'll help if you can verify the number of unique reader visits per month, & reassure people that the majority of your traffic isn't just your existing clientele looking for fans -- there are plenty of writers checking their POD vendor's stats a hundred times a day, for instance, & it doesn't take many of these to inflate a site's hit-rate to many thousands a month.

Booksie Guy

Hi Anthony,

I will tell you that on any given day between 70-90% of our site visitors are new. The bulk of our visitors are not writers, but are browsers looking for something interesting to read. Obviously, you'll have to decide if its worth your time to check it out. The site is free.

Booksie Guy

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
BG, I'm not making those suggestions to challenge you. You need to have those numbers in your promotion, else your site is yet another 'post-your-fiction' site. I'd call such sites "dime a dozen" except there's such a glut that it hugely overstates the value.

To climb out of that garbage-heap, you've got to somehow distinguish yourself -- and before you ask, no, a cutesy name or nifty clipart Do Not distinguish your site from the thousands of others.

Booksie Guy

Free Online Promotion for Writers and Publishers - LitLink

Hi all,

I wanted to let you all know of a free opportunity to promote short stories, novels, and poems you have published online. We just launched a new feature on Booksie called LitLink. LitLink allows anyone who has a piece of literary writing posted anywhere on the Web to submit it to the Booksie index where it will be seen by the site's tens of thousands of readers. If the link is popular with the site's readers, then it will receive additional exposure.

You can submit as many links as you want as long as they link directly to a poem, short story, novel, etc. Links to the homepage of your site, an index of your writing, or advertising will be promptly deleted.

As a related goal, we hope to use this initiative to bring together all of the literature and creative writing on the Web into one place.

More information about the LitLink program can be found below:

http://www.booksie.com/about/litlink.html

We hope you will visit the site and see if it can benefit you.

Thank you,

BG

www.booksie.com

twisted fiction

Your site sounds interesting. I'll definately check that out. I've sent you a PM.

Thanks!

Amy Wong

Either way, it was terribly unattractive for a horde of members from that site to descend frothing on the blog comments thread, spewing vitriol and misinformed opinions on fair use all over the place.

I don't know about this incident but the members on the site are extremely friendly and go out of their way to help their fellow writers. I've found it very valuable.

- Amy

madmumbler

Self-declared Queen of Dark Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tymberdalton.com
I'd like to add a few comments about this site.

1) Yesterday (9/22/09) I found the first four chapters of my book, "Love Slave for Two" (writing as Tymber Dalton) published by Siren-BookStrand (which is currently hovering in the top 10 in erotica on Amazon Kindle -- I mean, what kind of MORON do you have to be to try to pass yourself off as the writer of a bestselling book??? And mine wasn't the only bestseller they tried to claim as their own writing.) posted on the site by a user. Also posted were complete books, chapter by chapter, from other publishers like Loose ID, Cobblestone Press, New Concepts, and Total e-Bound Publishers, among others. Everything in that user's account was illegally posted. How did I discover this? The nimrod used, verbatim, the cover blurbs. Took me all of 5 minutes to find each book's rightful author and publisher and start contacting people. I filed a report with them (they don't have a flag button on content, which they should) and within a few minutes, my work was off the site, then after I sent them more emails showing that all the content in the user's account was illegal, they pulled the account. So kudos to them for that.

However, they need to seriously revamp their technology. I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Scribd now has a feature to check submissions to see if they're verbotten? Maybe it's not Scribd, I don't know, but I remember running across one site while tracking down illegally posted files a few months ago that apparently does search for stuff like that to help keep illegal postings down.

2) However, Booksie.com gets a #fail from me on their terms. Any aspiring writer who signs up for their site best carefully read their member agreement before they post writing there:

http://www.booksie.com/about/terms.html

Specifically, the following:

Booksie's USE OF CONTENT SUBMITTED BY WRITERS & RIGHTS OF WRITERS

1. By submitting material to any public area of the Site, you automatically grant Booksie a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the submission in connection with the Booksie Website and Booksie's (and its successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Booksie Website (and derivative works thereof).

2. You grant Booksie the right, at no charge, from time to time to edit, copy, distribute or make generally available to the public the titles of submitted work, your pen name, and/or short excerpts from work posted to the Site by writers for the purpose of promoting your work, Booksie or the Site.

3. You acknowledge and agree that Booksie may preserve work you post to the Site and may also disclose such work if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such preservation or disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with legal process; (b) enforce the Member Agreement; (c) respond to claims that any work violates the rights of third-parties; or (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Booksie, its owners or operators or third parties.

Now, I'm not a lawyer and I don't claim to play one on TV either. However, the fact that they can "preserve" work on the site means you can't REALLY delete it, am I right? Also, you're granting them a right to "edit" your work (#2)? Um, HELLOOOOO??? I don't care what reason they give for it, that's wrong. I also don't like #1, granting them a transferable license and the right for them to create "derivative" works.

Um, sorry, HUGE #fail from me.

I'm sure some will argue that those terms are specifically regarding allowing them to display content on the website. But, ya know, they don't say that clearly enough for my tastes. They do have the "including without limitation" part in the first clause and that bothers me.

I did sign up for an account there yesterday for the purpose of tracking down the joker posting my work (and what burned my bacon even more was the fact that they were accepting kudos from people, not just on mine, but on other books as well, for the writing and making comments like they were the original writer) but maybe with the exception of promotional blurbs, I don't see myself using that site for ANYTHING.

So here's a warning to others, especially new writers. If you're looking for feedback, try to find it in critique/editing forums with some measure of control, like the Internet Writing Workshop or any other number of places where you have a good idea of who is looking at your work.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, 'tis. Merging, thanks!

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I'm sure some will argue that those terms are specifically regarding allowing them to display content on the website. But, ya know, they don't say that clearly enough for my tastes. They do have the "including without limitation" part in the first clause and that bothers me.

You'll find something like Paragraph 1 that you quoted in almost any Terms of Use for a content or display site like Booksie. These terms really are intended to allow the site to run itself and to display content (rather than to grab rights to contributors' content). In fact, Booksie's terms are rather better than others, in that they do specifically limit them to the operation of the Booksie website and business ("in connection with the Booksie Website and Booksie's [and its successor's] business").

However, it's "caveat emptor" with sites like this, and I really commend you for reading the Terms and Conditions, which many writers never bother to do (and really bad things can be lurking there). Also, I agree with your interpretation of Paragraph 3, which suggests that writers' work might be archived on the Booksie website indefinitely. Definitely something to watch out for.

- Victoria