• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display Site] Pubboo

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
http://www.pubboo.com/en/writers/raisons/

At best, YADS.

At worst ... worse.

In any case a waste of time and money.

Combines a complete lack of knowledge about the publishing industry with impossible promises and bogus arguments.

I'd considered doing a line-by-line on their site, but decided not to bother. Here's the conclusion: Stay away.

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
Uncle Jim, thank you for taking the time to post this warning, and for taking even greater time to instruct us (I'm still progressing through your eariler posts). On the information superhighway, you are the guardrail.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I like come-on #6, "Complete Security and Protection":
Upon receipt of your book, we send a certificate of registration to you right away, identifying you as the legitimate owner of your manuscript and including the date and time. In case of infringement, the individual at fault would have the difficult time to proving he had created the book before we received it and identified you as its author.
It's not a registered copyright. It's not a notarized document. It has the same standing any third party would have who sent you e-mail confirming the date and time they received your text. And unless the notice of receipt includes a complete copy of that text, all it establishes is that you sent them something, with thus-and-such title, on thus-and-such date. It doesn't prove that it's a specific text.

Moreover, unless you signed off on an indemnity clause, or otherwise offered some species of guarantee that the text you sent was indeed your own work, they're in no position to identify you as its legitimate owner. All they know is that you sent it to them and you claim to own it.

It's a good thing their "certificate of registration" has no legal standing. Otherwise, they could get into trouble.
But that's not the only way we protect your work. We make daily backups of your manuscript and all submitted materials including graphics and photos. We keep two backup copies securely stored. In any emergency situation, such as fire, burglary, flood or a computer crash, you know you can recover your entire work at Pubboo anytime, day or night.
That is: they back up their own site. They're selling the fact that they back up their own site. Again, it's no improvement over storing a backup of your work at any third-party site, except that other backup sites are less likely to go out of business with little or no warning.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The advantage of YADS is that you'll never be rejected. That's because you've never submitted.

If never being rejected is worth $85 US (plus $49/year renewal), then ... keep your manuscript in your desk drawer and give the money to your favorite charity. Your chance of getting published is the same, and you'll have done more good in the world.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote them an e-mail and asked if they could identify any actual sales. Their reply was to say that they had 102 publisher signed on to view their database, but those contracts specified anonymity. They added the proviso that they were hoping to re-negotiate said contract to allow listing sales.

They did not say whether they HAD any sales or not, of course. If you need third-party storage, heck you can e-mail yourself the manuscript as an attachment for free.

Regards,
Scott

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If the "publishers" exist, dollars to doughnuts they're scam and/or vanity and/or gormless POD outfits. Where better to fish than a pond of writers paying for the privilege to advertise their...naiveté?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Cao,

Dollars to donuts is only a three-to-one bet these days. The odds here are more like diamonds to donuts.

Regards,
Scott

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
That site is terribly misleading. Just looking at the graphs in the "How it works" section is enough to make me call "Liar"

process2ed6.png

Its that easy huh? Wow, tons of publishers will check my MS out daily! Or not.

They claim the 95% rejection rate that most writers face doesnt apply to them...
The 10 reasons to subscribe annoys me too. Must that say their ridiculous name before every one of them? LOL.

Pubboo...sounds like it belongs in a diaper.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
102 publishers? All of whom required confidentiality, and signed matching contracts to that effect, all within the same relatively short amount of time?

No way.

Not only is that a lie; it's a lie told by people who know zero about publishing.

Tell me: is Pubboo acting as the agent for their authors? If not, they can't sell works on their behalf.

But some of their authors are bound to have agents, or acquire agents. How does that confidentiality agreement work when there are agents in the mix? Are the agents not allowed to know which publishers are considering their clients' work? How can they submit it elsewhere if they don't know who subscribes to Pubboo? Who negotiates the sale? For that matter, who gets credit for it?

These guys guarantee publisher feedback. Oh yeah no kidding pull the other one it's got bells on?

GMFB. NFW.

And they claim the 95% rejection rate that most writers face doesn't apply to them. That's another claim that can't possibly be true. Publishers are still subject to the same pressures and constraints. Writers are still struggling with the same set of tasks. The reading public doesn't care how it all gets done as long as it gets done. I don't see any reason there to think that the usual rejection rate should change.

Also, no way is it only 95%.

These guys can't be telling the truth. Either they're fibbing about knowing what they're doing, or they know enough to know that what they say can't be true. Either way, you don't want to work with them.

Last edited:

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Gravity said:
On top of that, could they have come with a sillier name for their house? They might as well have said, "We're not taking this venture seriously; why should you?"
I've noticed that about a lot of the companies on this board lately. It seems to be a trend. But does it reflect that the people creating the sites have a tin ear, that they don't take their ventures seriously, or that they are only registering URLs they can buy cheaply? :D

Anyway, whenver I see a question about these companies, the name and/or URL is one of the first things I noticed. If the name or URL is really silly, I roll my eyes and see it as one strike against the company. It doesn't mean the company is a scam artist. (There are some legit agencies with bizarre names, and some scammers with great names.) But it does make my antennae go up.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, according to this, Pubboo was to be moved to edi-plus.ca mid '07. Neither domain is currently functioning, though.