Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
Just before the tornado passed over where my kids live, (son, d-i-l and grandson), it lifted off the ground. My avatar pic is how it looked as it passed by Trussville, AL I59 exit 141. This massive monster was a mile and a half wide when it hit Birmingham and came back down on the ground shortly after this picture was taken, continuing its destruction. I've never seen so much devastation from one storm system. The recovery will take a long time. I'm so very thankful it missed my family and doing what I can to help out survivors in the state.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It's so awful :( Y'all let us know what we can do to help!

PM me if you are part of a local effort that needs clothing or toiletry donations, etc. Or especially if you know of specific families in need.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Same here. I'll do whatever I can, even if it's just throwing together some goods.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of groups taking donations and each of the 18 counties (36 counties reporting storm damage) with EF3 or greater damage have shelters and donation locations set up. Here is a link to just some of them. http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/04/alabama_tornadoes_how_you_can.html

The Alabama chapter of the Red Cross (www.alredcross.org) is also taking monetary donations to provide some of the necessities people need. Most places are asking for toiletries, diapers, wipes, socks, shoes, underwear, cereal bars, other boxed and canned food items, bottled water and canned drinks; things people need every day like a toothbrush. The Alabama Humane Society is asking for pet food. The Salvation Army is also collecting donations.

It won't matter what counties donations are made in the state. Everywhere tornadoes hit need assistance of some kind, and some for quite a while.

People have been coming in from other states to help clear away the debris. The county I live in has had very little TV coverage and a lot of damage in small communities, so I'm donating to the shelters here.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
We have a fair number of people from Ohio going down to help. From what I understand, this year is expected to be a worse than usual tornado season. We've had a few small ones here in Ohio this year, but even small ones are life-threatening and no fun. Guess the best thing all of us in potentially affected areas can do is be prepared and be aware of weather forecasts and statements. Sounds like it's going to be a long summer. Puma

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
I'm checking in, in case anyone doesn't know I'm from the other side of the state. Don't know if anyone was worried, but I'm checking in here anyways.

Do we have any members from the Joplin, MO area? I hear they were hit badly tonight as well.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had a tornado touch down with extensive damage in northern Minneapolis, with one death confirmed. I was in the warning area but nothing developed due to the direction the storms were moving.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Just checking to make sure anyone from Joplin, Missouri is okay. The damage there looks terrible, and the news reports are already saying 89 were killed. :/

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you guys are checking in and okay.

:( So terrible what happened

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is everyone accounted for now? We saw the footage on TV - terrifying!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
We've got OKC members we're all sort of anxiously worrying about, now. Between the flooding and the tornados, the Midwest, the South, and the Southeast US are apparently trying to tear themselves off of the crust of the earth and go hurtling out into the Gulf of Mexico. :(

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lord, I just saw Stew's thread in P&CE. Take care, everyone...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed! I'm in Kansas at the moment, and while my area has been okay, they've had some scary tornadoes going on in the west part of the state. Hope everyone is safe!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Wednesday - from Columbus Ohio weather

"The Storm Prediction Center has added a High Risk for Severe Storms for parts of SW Indiana, as well as parts of Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas. This is the 5th time a High Risk has been issued this year. All have resulted in deadly, violent tornado outbreaks. All of Ohio remains under a Slight Risk this afternoon with the extreme western part of the state now under a Moderate Risk. Looks like there’s even a better chance for severe storms across Ohio late tomorrow as a cold front approaches from the west."

High risk today centered along Mississippi and Ohio Rivers.

I hope Ohio didn't jinx itself yesterday when there were news items saying that Ohio tornados were not deadly. I've been through an EF2 here ten years ago and that was bad enough. Puma

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stay safe everyone! :Hug2:

Anyone seen OFG around? Was yesterday's tornado in OKC? *goes to google*

missouridalton

Propoganda wrapped up in a scarf.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
missouridalton.blogspot.com
Wednesday - from Columbus Ohio weather

"The Storm Prediction Center has added a High Risk for Severe Storms for parts of SW Indiana, as well as parts of Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas. This is the 5th time a High Risk has been issued this year. All have resulted in deadly, violent tornado outbreaks. All of Ohio remains under a Slight Risk this afternoon with the extreme western part of the state now under a Moderate Risk. Looks like there’s even a better chance for severe storms across Ohio late tomorrow as a cold front approaches from the west."

High risk today centered along Mississippi and Ohio Rivers.

I hope Ohio didn't jinx itself yesterday when there were news items saying that Ohio tornados were not deadly. I've been through an EF2 here and that was bad enough. Puma

As an Ohioan, I can attest to the fact that we did have tornadoes. I was out on the road (driving) and saw rotating clouds and hail. We ran for cover...

As for deadly or not, Xenia, OH tends to get wrecked every few years by tornado. You'd think they'd stop building there.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
And the ones that hit Xenia travel right on over and go through my area. There definitely seem to be tracks these storms follow. To me the maps from the major outbreak back in 1974 are fascinating - it looks like you can follow the same storm as it went up and down for hundreds of miles. Puma

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Stay safe everyone! :Hug2:

Anyone seen OFG around? Was yesterday's tornado in OKC? *goes to google*

OFG checked in yesterday afternoon, she said the worst of it missed her neighborhood. Shakeysix checked in, too, from Kansas.

Birol is in Illinois, but she's been online today, too.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This big storm thing from the last couple days is heading toward the East Coast. It's entering north Alabama and several states north of it now through tonight, and north Georgia (me and a few other AW'ers) and states north tomorrow afternoon and night:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weat...s/severe-weather-tracker-may-24-25_2011-05-23

I'm now following "Breaking weather news feed of The Weather Channel" on Twitter, with 15 tweets warning of tornadoes, funnel clouds or hail in the last hour:
https://twitter.com/#!/twcbreaking