Disaster In My Region AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods): US Mid west States

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
What?!

I've lived in the Gulf Coast for 15 years and therefore keep an eye on the hurricane situation each year and I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane do that. Does it happen and I just haven't noticed? (It's possible, because my primary focus is on hurricanes pointed at my house, and once I know it's going elsewhere, I generally turn my attention back to other things).

Is this really as bizarre as I think it is?

Fiona is supposed to be historically strong, but hurricanes have hit NS before. I do suspect climate change is making them more frequent and more severe, though.

Wishing safety and dryness to our Nova Scotians.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
What?!

I've lived in the Gulf Coast for 15 years and therefore keep an eye on the hurricane situation each year and I don't think I've ever seen a hurricane do that. Does it happen and I just haven't noticed? (It's possible, because my primary focus is on hurricanes pointed at my house, and once I know it's going elsewhere, I generally turn my attention back to other things).

Is this really as bizarre as I think it is?
It's unusual, but not unheard-of. This one, however, is one of the biggest on record to hit Canada.

The lowest pressure ever recorded in Canada was 940 millibars in January 1977 in Newfoundland, said Brian Tang, an atmospheric science professor at the University of Albany. "Current weather forecast models are indicating that Fiona will make landfall in eastern Nova Scotia with a pressure around 925 to 935 millibars, which would easily set a new record," he said.
Many forecasters, including Fogarty, are comparing this storm to 2003's Hurricane Juan, which battered the Canadian coast as a Category 2 storm.
"That storm was much smaller. This one is huge," said Fogarty.

The storm "is projected to be a significant and historical weather event for Nova Scotia," said John Lohr, the minister responsible for the provincial Emergency Management Office.

Fearsome Hurricane Fiona could be Canada's strongest-ever storm

"It has the potential to be very dangerous. Impacts are projected to be felt across the province. Every Nova Scotian should be preparing today," Lohr added during an official update Thursday.
Residents should brace for damaging winds, high waves, coastal storm surge and heavy rainfall that may lead to prolonged power outages, Lohr said. Emergency officials have encouraged people to secure outdoor items, trim trees, charge cell phones and create a 72-hour emergency kit.
The area hasn't seen a storm this intense for about 50 years, according to Chris Fogarty, manager for Canadian Hurricane Centre.
"Please take it seriously because we are seeing meteorological numbers in our weather maps that are rarely seen here," Fogarty said.

Reactions: lizmonster

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fiona is supposed to be historically strong, but hurricanes have hit NS before. I do suspect climate change is making them more frequent and more severe, though.

Wishing safety and dryness to our Nova Scotians.
Not to mention that this year's tropical storm Danielle formed farther north than September tropical storms usually do due to warmer water temps.

Stay safe all! I was (quite far north) in Mississippi when Katrina hit in 2005. This will not be like your typical nor'easter.

Reactions: MaeZe

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I have cousins in east Orlando and Kissimmee who came through it with minimal damage.

I have acquaintances on another board who are up to their armpits in relief efforts as transient EMS workers, pilots, and other efforts. Parts of Florida have been leveled, not unlike Andrew in 92, I think. Ian may get retired from teh name list.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a cousin who moved a year or so ago to Cape Coral...on a canal. The news there isn't good. Hoping he and his wife got out in time.
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've just got word that they're okay, but was told that continuing to hold the good thought for them would be welcome.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Welp - we've just started day three without power, after the big Pacific NW windstorm. I'm at work, right now, where the power is thankfully back on. Otherwise, we're good. How are my PNW neighbors faring?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't lose power here in Bellevue either but a friend up in Marysville (north of here) lost power for hours and considered himself lucky. The surrounding area is still without power.

Years ago during a huge windstorm here people lost power for a week. We lost power for ~24 hours and the folks that lost power for a week started two houses away.

Gas pumps don't work when the power is out. That was an eye opener.

Reactions: mrsmig and SWest