Disaster In My Region AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods): US Mid west States

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I hope everyone near Sydney, Australia is safe! Outlying areas have seen up to 600mm of rain over just a couple of days and there are a lot of flood evacuation orders. I’ve been watching the radar over the region the last few days and it is terrifying (a massive rain storm that is just sitting there and sitting there, channeling a huge amount of water into the area).

• Wow
  • Hug
Reactions: MaeZe and frimble3

mccardey

wear a mask
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh aren't you both lovely? I'm in the Illawarra and it's - awash down here. This is our third go at flooding this year, and I can only hope we get it right this time and don't need to do it again. Today I had to bring my chickens inside - they're in the laundry, now. The guineapigs - and the quail that live with them - are now in the dunny*.

The river is coming up really fast and the roads between me and the village are closed. Or - not closed. But there's so much water we can't see where the pot-holes are. And we know there are pot-holes in there somewhere because the Wingecarribee Council is seriously the worst council ever, which is why it's now in Administration. Mind you - I have all the food from last Summer's garden thanks to my dehydrator, and I have my neighbours (farmers) and also I have mud. Which - I dunno that might come in handy. I have lots of mud.

ETA: *outside loo.

ETA2: Today, a darling friend of mine had her hair cut by a local woman who is now living through this with her her two teenaged daughters in a caravan because of the 2020 fires. I cannot even. Ex-PM Scott Morrison went to Hawaii during the bushfires, I'm just saying - and excused it by saying his wife and daughters made him go, and anyway he "didn't hold a hose".

ETA3: In a caravan! 18 months after the fires!

Dear god. If you knew how wet it was here.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sending you dry thoughts, mccardey. ❤️

Reactions: MaeZe

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com
The Mediterranean wildfires look horrific. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62196045 anyone in those regions - stay safe!

Brits: red weather warning for 40 degree heat in some areas (104F)- look after yourselves and elderly and vulnerable friends, family, neighbours and follow all the safety advice.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Mediterranean wildfires look horrific. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62196045 anyone in those regions - stay safe!

Brits: red weather warning for 40 degree heat in some areas (104F)- look after yourselves and elderly and vulnerable friends, family, neighbours and follow all the safety advice.
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yikes!

Sending cooling energy and sufficient water to the Mediterranean and the UK.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com
Apparently 99% of UK homes are Un-air-conditioned.

Be safe, gang. Stay hydrated.

That is correct. Home air conditioning isn't really a thing here. And the cost of electricity at the moment, no-one's likely to get it installed either. Some people have a fan - but even that's not a given. I don't have one and I'm not sure I'll buy one given the cost of electricity.

I've been closing the curtains/blinds on the sunny side and opening them and the windows on the shady side, and adjusting them around the day as the sun moves to stop solar gain through the window and get the coolest air in. Otherwise it would be like living in a greenhouse. Plus having the whole lot open right now (5:27am) to get a cool breeze through while I can. That's how most people will keep their homes cool. Homes here are quite well insulated - albeit that's to keep the heat in in winter, but it works to help keep the heat out in summer if you're careful with which curtains/blinds/windows you keep open/closed and when. Then you've got things to keep yourself cool like wearing appropriate clothing and drinking lots of water. And having ice packs in the freezer. And clothing in the freezer, apparently (not tried that myself but some people say wearing socks or at t-shirt that's been in the freezer really helps).

anaemic_mind

Registered
Reaction score
Yep aircon is mainly confined to business premises but even then isn't widespread. Our house is drafty in winter and stifling in summer normally (cheap prefab-type terrace thrown up in the 60s to alleviate post-war housing crisis). So in this kind of heat (37 degrees recorded at the local weather station yesterday) it's proving hard to cope even doing the same window/curtain trick as the sun moves round. We do have a single desk fan that I've stolen from hubby's office and set up with bottles of frozen water sitting in front of it. It's by no means great but it is helping keep whatever room it's sat in relatively cooler than the rest of the house. Minimal clothing, drinking plenty and regular sluice down with cold water is all we can do otherwise.

It's a relatively cool 27 currently so I've just cooked supper, so we can eat it cold later.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
If you have them, I've found getting a hot water bottle, filling it 1/3 with water, then freezing it solid and putting it on your feet really helps - I have two on rotation currently. I also saw advice to shut your windows completely when the air gets hot and that seemed to work quite well yesterday combined with closing the blinds and curtains (I live in the top of an old house with massive single-glazed windows that make it like a greenhouse in warm weather). Finally, keeping your hair wet really helps because of the water evaporating.

I hope everyone stays safe!

SWest

I have curly hair...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Electric fans are kind of an art during excessive heat events...this from an EPA guide book (mostly geared to municipalities, but great info throughout):

...portable electric fans are not the simple cooling solution they appear to
be. Because of the limits of conduction and convection, using a portable electric fan alone
when heat index temperatures exceed 99°f actually increases the heat stress the body must
respond to by blowing air that is warmer than the ideal body temperature over the skin
surface (American Medical Association Council on Scientific Affairs, 1997; CDC, 2004c). In
these conditions, portable electric fans provide a cooling effect by evaporating sweat. The
increased circulation of hot air and increased sweat evaporation can, however,
speed the onset of heat-attributable conditions (e.g., heat exhaustion).
Thus, portable electric fans need to be used with caution and under specific circumstances
during an EHE, such as exhausting hot air from a room or drawing in cooler air through
an open window. Generally, portable electric fans may not be a practical and safe cooling
mechanism during an EHE in homes that are already hot and are not air-conditioned;
their use should be discouraged unless the fans are bringing in significantly cooler air
from outside the dwelling. If a resident must stay in these dwellings, and if they are unable
to access an air-conditioned environment, safer cooling approaches would include taking
frequent cool showers and drinking cool, nonalcoholic fluids (e.g., ice water). Because of
the importance of this issue, and the contradictory messages people may have received
about using portable electric fans during EHEs, Appendix B provides a series of guidelines for fan use during EHEs.

anaemic_mind

Registered
Reaction score
38.9C (102F) at it's peak here in the Midlands this afternoon. The house got so hot the hot water pipes & radiators started emitting heat 🥵 Grateful it's started dropping again now a more comfortable 32 C again. The 2 minutes of rain helped a little.

Those fires in London are scary. Every vague fire/BBQ type smell has had me checking the fields that border our road. We had a huge problem with idiots starting fires during long hot summer we had a few years back.

Meg Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
If you have them, I've found getting a hot water bottle, filling it 1/3 with water, then freezing it solid and putting it on your feet really helps
I use a flexible reusable icepack that I always keep in the freezer. I like to wrap it in a tea-towel and put it against my upper back, lower back, or on top of my head.

Also yes to closing up the house the moment the air temperature equalizes and living in a dark cave for the rest of the day. Use fans at night to cool down the inside of the house as much as possible before the next day.

Sympathies from California.

CWNitz

Registered
Reaction score
40C in Normandy this afternoon, but it's finally over! There's a storm outside. It's true the vast majority of homes don't have air conditioning, even brand new ones (like mine). It was 30C inside today, which really isn't bad given the circumstances.

I always call my dad on days like these. He's used to pre-climate change weather and sometimes does dumb things like going for a run when Météo France announces a red alert in all regions.

And yeah, it didn't get that hot when I was a kid. 35C was an exception.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Oklahoma is seeing records temps right now as well. Over the last 30 days, the high hasn't been below 90. At my house, I've seen a high of 115° F and a heat index high of 145° F. It ain't been a dry heat, either. In the midst of it all, a suburb of Tulsa lost one of their water mains.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com