• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Diggory Press / Exposure Publishing

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

BUNNYKINS

The complaints 'all around the net' about Diggory Press, are the work of primarily just one man, a competitor in publishing, who among other things makes claims that are impossiblities of facts - eg. no company can sell books using 'secret isbns'. His ranting claims are extremely nasty and extremely personal and are obviously untrue - but it is untrue anyway to say they are all 'across the net'. In the process of doing his nasty windup job, he's maybe gone and wound up a few other authors who think they have sold ten thousand copies instead of maybe one hundred copies or whatever as Diggory claim (or these may be just aliases and pure inventions just like his isbn story!), and they post on a few boards because they are worried and know no better - but there is no actual good complaint out there that I have seen, neither can his claims even be true. It totally lacks all credibility. I know there is a claim the guy tried to blackmail them after harassing them for many months, and given the malicious and contadictory and extremely personal nature of the nonsensical claims out there this retaliation would make sense.

Regardless of motive, there are lots of obvious contradictions in his tales, obvious even if you do not know the whole story from both side. The man is malicious and also a competitor so whatever he says should be taken with a large pinch of salt. He claims also that 'writers have been screwed in the UK courts' when suing Diggory, yet to date, as can easily be verified by anybody doing a little research, not one case has been brought against Diggory Press in the Uk or the USA courts - far less by him and his so-called class action suit - and the guy has been bitching over a year, plenty of time enough. The guy is a total wind up merchant!

In his listed class action suit (on his website), such facile complaints include one from a non customer such as: 'I sent one email to them and they did not respond so they must be bad' (!), and another says: 'on amazon my book was cross-linked with another Diggory title' - oh come on! This is bad, and how can Diggory be blamed for how amazon cross link a book?! Another guy claims that because his book is for sale everywhere (hundreds of sites) it must have sold everywhere and so Diggory must have robbed him of royalties which is not at all true or even logical, the books are print on demand so may not have sold one copy despite being listed everywhere- also sales are easy to prove anywhere so I do not think a company like them would dare to misreport sales! Another person who did a cat book that was not even in their distribution is surprised there is no royalties and claims she has been ripped off - but how can there be royalties when a book is not even in distribution, I ask you?!!! Oh, and then there is the guy who complained his book had not yet been published - and wait for it, his check had only just cleared the day before he posted his complaint! It's crazy. This is a 'class action' suit?! Come on! With friends like these who needs enemies?

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
His claims were less of an issue for me than the tones of Diggory's responses threatening multiple forums with lawsuits for daring to entertain the discussion. Not impressive.

BUNNYKINS

Their grudge was not about authors 'having a discussion' about them, which everyone is entitled to, it was about some very obvious and malicious lies that should not be given 'airtime'. The guy made some very serious claims about them, which were very obviously untrue. Diggory have a right not only to defend themselves against such maliciousness and harassment and lies and attack when it happens, but also to send 'cease and desist' letters to webmasters etc asking they take such lies down when they appear - that is the law. Webmasters under the law have a 'duty of care' even if they do not write the original content - this forum could technically be sued for just containing the libelous link even if you did not write it, for example, if they refuse to take it down when warned it is libellous - and many other companies do this suing and 'threatening' day in and out without us possibly even being aware if it. But doesnt a compmay have a right to defend itself? Wouldn't you in the face of such lies? Fair play to the owner to go into so much detail there and to show the guy completely up. There are libel and defamation laws for a good reason, and in the booksandtales in particular case the forum moderator was so biased making sarcy comments about the owner's religion it was totally unfair. What has religion to do with anything?!

Last edited:

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Veinglory, I suspect "Bunnykins" is the same "Wordsmith" who replied to my POD blog about 10 days ago concerning Diggory. The general gist and sentiment is the same in the postings and comments about Diggory. If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, this individual posted to your own blog last month. I have only posted once about Diggory on my blogsite, an article that was not actually about Diggory and only made a cautionary mention of them. I drew attention to the books&tales threads as well as later pointing out in a reply posting to "wordsmiths" comment left on my site about the general "not recomended" listing on some forums. Somehow, I could not shake off an odd sense of suspicion, since as my blog site was only up and going a few days, it seemed unusual to recieve such a pertinent comment reply to a new site unless someone was specifically looking for negative Diggory stuff through search engines.

Mick Rooney

http://mickrooney.blogspot.com

BUNNYKINS

ps if the moderator made the same snide claims about the owner's ethnicity there would be huge outcry, insinuating all blacks must be crooks for example because they are black, but 'Christians' are fair game apparently?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I believe part of what is said by both sides. By the amount diminishes with every argumentum ad hominem uttered by either party. Currently that results in Manning 50%, Diggory 5%, (Booksandtales 80%)--a melee and a decision on points. Not a credit to the sport. I can hold the score up painted on a piece of cardboard if that helps.

Last edited:

wyntermoon

It all started with a little boo...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
staceyigraham.com
ps if the moderator made the same snide claims about the owner's ethnicity there would be huge outcry, insinuating all blacks must be crooks for example because they are black, but 'Christians' are fair game apparently?

What the ?

This is ridiculous. Has anyone seen the Troll-B-Gone?

BUNNYKINS

Mick - I did post on your blog a little while ago, but so what? Is that a crime? Are my points any less valid because I have repeated them or perhaps elaborated on them here on another board with a wider and differant readership? You post on other boards too, do you not, including this one? The fact I have been consistent in what I have said and not inconsistent is surely what matters.

For the record, I post on lots of blogs about all sorts of things, (much less about publishing than other things), and many blogs posts have just come out on the day when I post on them, sometimes within just hours of their 'birth'. But so what? That's blogging for you! I did not know Veinglory before here.

If you think it fair that ONE company should be allowed to do this to another company out of sheer spite - when even you admit on your blog his complaint is ludicrous - and thus get it onto predators and editors based on this facile complaint, then the reputation of predators and editor goes down hugely in my opinion. You posted a post without researching the facts, and many others came to similar conclusions so why not p & e?

Your 'countless' complaints are NOT countless BTW, most (if not all) are not legitimate, and all seem to originate from one complaint mill.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
May I ask what you connection to Diggory is? p.s. I'm the blogger from POD People which is the blog Mick referenced.

BUNNYKINS

Veinglory - so you think they must be crooks because they publically defend themselves? That's logical.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For clarity:

1) I didn't call anyone a crook. At most I half-believed someone who sometimes does say something roughly along those lines but less emotional and more specific.
2) I think the defence is unecessarily offensive.
3) That's your second ad hom just against me.
4) And your association with Diggory is?

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
"Bunnykins"

I never said all Mannings claims were ludicrous. Don't misquote me. I said his claims regarding isbn's were. The claimants against Diggory on many forums is what cannot be ignored. Neither do I think we should go down the road of slanging about the race card or what who imtimated or suggested or intoned or said between the lines.

The fact is I am the person to the left of this window. I do not, nor do I believe any other posters to this form are hiding behind made up names.

As Veinglory asked, who exactly are you and why is this such an issue for you.

Its interesting because you claim to want the truth, and Mannings website is called The color of Truth. There is an irony here I think!

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
BUNNYKINS has a prose style that's remarkably similar to that used by Rosalind Franklin of Diggory Press. Perhaps that's why BUNNYKINS is such a staunch defender of Ms. Franklin's?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
"that is the law. Webmasters under the law have a 'duty of care' even if they do not write the original content - this forum could technically be sued for just containing the libelous link even if you did not write it, for example, if they refuse to take it down when warned it is libellous - and many other companies do this suing and 'threatening' day in and out without us possibly even being aware if it."

Actually they do not have to cease and desist, and it is only libelous when a court declares it to be libelous. At that point you would have a court order in hand and you would not need a "cease and desist". A cease and desist letter can be without basis in fact.

Regards,
Scott

Manny

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dysonforums.com
BUNNYKINS has a prose style that's remarkably similar to that used by Rosalind Franklin of Diggory Press. Perhaps that's why BUNNYKINS is such a staunch defender of Ms. Franklin's?

That was my first thought too.

As noted above and elsewhere; I was all set to go with Diggory to the tune of around £1k when I decided to conduct some due diligence. I found Mannings musings and his website of course. I chose not to go with Diggory Press.

My first thought was that he was merely disgruntled, everybody has some unhappy customers after all, I took his musings with a pinch of salt. It is very easy to use the net and numerous fora to create negative media about a company, on other forums I particpate in (on different topics altogether) it is quite commonplace in fact.

After more reading I saw that they (Mannings musings) seemed to hold water. However, as noted above, the replies of this Franklin lady are far from professional and at no stage do they address certain valid points Manning raises, such as why his book is still offered for sale by them.

One must question why Diggory is uncontactable by telephone, that is particularly iffy. Accounts of rude and ignored e-mails by some do no more to strengthen the reputation they claim to have. I was at first interested as they claim an office in Goodyear, Arizona. However I have a friend in Arizona and I asked him to check it out, he found little on the public records about them and what he did find suggested no personal callers or telephone calls. (Maildrop perhaps?)

Diggory and/or its shills would do better on these forums publishing a direct phone number for any aggrieved clients to use and perhaps directing the readers towards some genuine positive media (not written by shills) penned by satisfied clients.

Manning is slated as a competitor, having seen his site also I hardly think they operate in the same sphere so that doesnt hold much water. Manning claims to have some 30 ish other Diggory clients that are unhappy also, one would assume they are named somewhere? It is a valid point also that the class action spoken about has yet to happen, one would imagine if the weight of evidence was so conclusive as Manning claims, that it would have happened by now.

All this nonesense about 'libel', 'webmasters responsibility' and 'letters of cease and desist' that the Diggory shills spew out does nothing to further their cause either.

The reader is left to ponder the validity of each side of the Manning and alleged clients various -v- Diggory, Franklin, Bunnykins and shills. In the absence of any conclusive proof it is hard to say with certainty that Diggory are dishonest. But the negative media tilted my personal 'balance of probability' scales against them.

Its a shame if Diggory are in fact honest as the Platinum deal they offer was exactly what I was looking for, but I was not prepared to risk a grand of my own money to find out if they were.

Could someone post or PM me with a link to this POD people blog please?

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Based on the threads at Books and Tales and the Lulu forums, there certainly seem to be some problems with Diggory Press--although it's by no means clear to me that they are due to anything other than the kind of ignorance and/or inefficiency that is so common among mom-and-pop publishers, whether fee-based or not. The angry, bullying responses Ms. Franklin has given in the Books and Tales thread are, sadly, not uncommon either. They might make you think twice about working with her, but that doesn't mean scammery is involved.

Most of the heat over Diggory Press seems to be coming from Mr. Manning--who wrote to me in 2005 with very similar complaints about another POD service, PageFree Publishing.

As yet, I've seen no independent evidence of the Private Eye article, or of the court claims. I would love to have this documentation--but, as I told Mr. Manning when he wrote to me most recently, Writer Beware can't accept secondhand reports.

- Victoria

Gill Harley

Court action against Diggory Press

Hello everyone

I'm the author of Lord of the Dance and also one of the seventeen authors who are taking Diggory Press to court.

I'm new to this forum, and so sorry if there are already other threads on this. But I thought this looked like the appropriate section to file this post, so that authors could be beware of having any dealings with Diggory Press.

Most of the other authors of The Seventeen, as we are known, have much worse stories to tell than me. However, I need to join in their action because Diggory Press, for about six months now, has not answered any of my emails or telephone calls. These emails and calls were to order 100 copies of my book from them. So responding to me would have put, I should think, some much needed cash in their pockets. So that's when alarm bells began to ring.

It may seem to outsiders pretty small potatoes, taking someone to court because they don't answer your emails. But the fact is, email is the only way that Diggory will accept any kind of contact at all with their authors. So by not replying to me over a long period, I had in effect no way to contact my publisher.

There is another issue. I got suckered in to their Platinum Package, where I paid them around £500 for a service in which they promised to get my books into the big book stores like Waterstones and Borders. Of course, they did no such thing. My books have not appeared in these stores, nor any others.

So this is the situation with me. But as The Seventeen, we have now filed our court papers and are awaiting Diggory's response to them.

I will keep people here updated of our progress.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to Absolute Write. Here is the thread about Diggory. I anticipate that a mod will merge this into the thread. Also, if you haven't already, please contact Victoria Strauss of Writer Beware (you'll find her in the thread.) She is actively seeking information regarding that case.

Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
it must be a writer's worse nightmare, Gill. I wish you all the best with your case.

Gill Harley

Thanks guys, for your support.

I'll get straight over to correct thread!