Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Moderator hat on: :helpfulhat: :mccardey:

This is a continuation of Have You Updated Your Blog Today, which had grown quite large--and where a great many of our esteemed members seemed to ignore or forget our policy on self-promotion of your writing, writing-related, or publishing-related services, which would include cover art, book design, and much more.

The only place you can promote writing, writing-related, or publishing-related services is in your signature. This isn't a new thing but dates back well over a decade

So if your blog is about swords, sewing, swing dance, surfing, stamp collecting, shopping thrift stores, or singing, yes, you can link to the new blog post directly in the text of your post in this thread, unless your blog offers something for which you charge (i.e., a consulting fee, paid access to a how-to page or site, a pamphlet about the subject that you send for a small price) or is in some way monetized (i.e., you receive income from ads, click-throughs). Then it's just spam. We don't allow spam.

I repeat: If you blog about writing, writing-related services, or publishing, you can link to it only in your signature.

Now, an important question: Did you update your blog today?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nether

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I used to be pretty good about updating the old thread, then it fell off after a while. Glad you did this.

Today's post: Beneath the Storm: How Nature’s Fury Sparked a Lifetime of Wonder

Today's post is part of the Weekly Wednesday Blog Challenge. I found it from one of my Mastodon follows and decided some of the topics looked like fun. There's a link at the bottom of my post to the parent post at Long And Short Reviews.

Steven_E_Moir

Registered
Reaction score
Website
stevenemoir.wordpress.com
I did. However, as I just started my blog yesterday, I don't consider maintaining it for one day to be a major accomplishment. Absolute Write inspired me to make a blog and I'm still unsure what to do with it. For now, I will use it to express my thoughts, achievements, and frustrations as I continue to write.

Reactions: cmhbob and Stytch

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
I did. However, as I just started my blog yesterday, I don't consider maintaining it for one day to be a major accomplishment. Absolute Write inspired me to make a blog and I'm still unsure what to do with it. For now, I will use it to express my thoughts, achievements, and frustrations as I continue to write.
I've treated mine as an accountability tool, and while I don't update it much beyond my annual reading list these days, it's very cool to be able to trace my progress when I am feeling some kind of way about things.

Reactions: Steven_E_Moir

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't add to mine often, and mostly I either rant or reflect there.

Infinimata

only connect
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.infinimata.com
I blog often about the progress of my own work, but I can see how that falls under the no-promotion rule. But I blog at least as much about other subjects that would be a good fit for sharing.

Steven_E_Moir

Registered
Reaction score
Website
stevenemoir.wordpress.com
Yes, I did. Question: is it typical for bloggers to update their blogs daily? I've never done any serious blogging before or followed anyone else's blog. I don't necessarily want to blog for the sake of blogging unless I have something I want to share.

Reactions: cmhbob

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Yes, I did
Share the link! Share the link! That's what this thread is all about.

As to regular posting...

Dean Wesley Smith has a 12-year-long streak of daily blog posts. It finally inspired me to try something similar, to force myself to write something regularly. I knew I couldn't maintain a daily streak for any length of time, but I'm now up to 94 consecutive weeks.

I'll also point out the Wednesday Weekly Blog Challenge being run by Long and Short Reviews. I just did one last week, and I'll likely do several others. There's no pressure at all. Just write your post and share the link on the weekly post at LSR. Here's the link, though the site seems to be glitching at the moment: http://www.longandshortreviews.com/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge/

Reactions: alexp336

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Remember to share the link in the appropriate place, referring to post #1.)

While I write pretty much every day, I certainly don't post to my blog daily. It's common for months to go by without a new post.

Maryn, who'd bore readers senseless

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am confused. I blog about naming conventions, art, SF and fantasy in general, media reviews, and fanfic. I have links there to my writing. Not that I've done a lot of writing lately, but if anyone wants to see what I've written, and buy it, they are there to see if the reader wants to search for it. Is that considered self-promotion? I post all the time.