Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Near NYC, or nearby CT. Jenna's schedule is jammed solid, kinda like crazy glue.

So, any of you who are in my area, raise your hand. Lemme see, I need someone to count...I'm terrible at math. Here's my idea. Borders wants to host the launch for SOS in Fairfield, CT, which is an hour outside of NYC. I'll be happy to meet you at the train station. If even one or two, including myself, can be there, it will definitely work.

Borders will equal/go above the 40 books they've already ordered for this event. They do not use store stock for signings. Local CT media will be apprised of this. It's a huge opportunity, but, I need your help to pull it off.

I've already asked Jenna if she could write something up that one of us could read. The local RC will be in attendance as well.

Thanks so much, in advance!!

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I just wanted to bump this back up--Borders sounds like they're being just terrific! I'd hate to see us miss out on this...

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed, Mac. Is there anyone out there who can help Jean take advantage of this incredible opportunity?

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Please oh please do not allow this opportunity to slip away. Pick a date and time that is convenient for you and please let me know. I'll be there this evening and would love to give them a time. They will be giving me news which I will post when I get home.

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
JeanMarie,

I think you've done amazingly well to get the commitment you have from them... if it turns out that they won't run a signing with just one signer though, and if nobody else is able to attend, then this means it wasn't going to be. Your herculean effort still stands, and it is still an example to the rest of us of what can be done, but it just might not happen if the reality is that nobody else can attend.

I don't know the locations of the other contributors, but I'm in UK and definately can't make it.

I don't think it is a case of 'letting it slip away' - that implies that something that could have been done wasn't - and you know that we are all doing all we can for the anthology.

Jenna may be close but she has already done an amazing amount of activity for the anthology, and that is why she is now so crowded with her own workload - the reputation she spent her whole writing career defining for herself, of reliability and quality, it isn't fair to have her throw that away or even jeopardise it. And health is something easily damaged and hard to repair too.

Just wait and see - I'm certain if anybody can make it they will. If not, let's not get too beat up over it - the universe will offer us more opportunities - your efforts already show that much.

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I wasn't responding because I wasn't sure how far it was from me-- I just checked and it's about three hours away by car. If nobody else can do it, maybe I can....

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
woo-HOO, Brainstrains!!!

Now if we can round up a couple more...

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Jean Marie -

My folks are in Woodbridge (up the Merritt before New Haven). I'm in Ohio but might be able to plan a trip to see them. I almost definitely will be in the New Haven area in the last two weeks of Dec. I wouldn't want you to plan anything around me, but if you had specific dates, I can see what I can work out. Or not - just trying to help. :)

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Far Out

Alphabet, I know Jenna's up the wazoo w/ projects and the alligators are starting to bite.

I'm sorry if I implied that all are not doing the best they can-never in the world meant that even for a second. I think all of us are doing a phenomenal amount, nobody's doing more or less.

I have to leave for Borders in a few minutes-actually, first I have to go learn about the bird flu, then go to Borders. I'll run it by them and since they already said they'll accomodate us, I'd love for Brainstrains and Mommie4a to agree on a day and time
emoteHail.gif
emoteHail.gif
many thanks to you both!! I'll be leaving for So. Cal. Dec. 19th to spend Christmas w/ family, so pick a time before that. the store is in Fairfield on the Post Rd. right in the center of town. It's right down the street from the train station, so, Brainstrains, if it's easier, I can pick you up there?? And Mommie4a, it's about 30 min. from New Haven-well, depending on time of day, speed, etc. Wait, it's before New Haven? Well, then take at least 5 min. off the previous time
wink.gif

Thank you soooooooooooo much!!!

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I cannot make it but if someone can and money is holding you back, I will contribute money. I'm sure others of us can too. It's a timing thing for me.

What say all? People who can go but no money?

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Ok - Jean Marie - here's the thing - ugh, always complications - I have three school-aged kids who are in school through 12/20!!!

The likelihood of making a weekend jaunt before then is very very unknowable at the moment! My fatherinlaw broke his leg last Friday and we've been traveling nonstop this fall plus the JEwish holidays have wreaked havoc on getting regular around here.

HOWEVER, I believe it NEVER hurts to ask - so I will, at the strategically appropriate time - ask my hubby what he thinks about a weekend before the 20th. I'm just saying - it could be mighty hard BUT I'll try.

NOW - what I CAN tell you, even though it's not before the holidays, is that my kids have two long weekends - one in Jan and one in Feb (a four day weekend) and it's way more likely that I'd be in CT for those - we've done that before.

Any point in that???

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
rtilryarms said:
I cannot make it but if someone can and money is holding you back, I will contribute money. I'm sure others of us can too. It's a timing thing for me.

What say all? People who can go but no money?

feel free to pm me.
I'd love to see this event go forward!

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Jean Marie,

Ok I am checking with my husband. We'll probably drive up together as an adventure! Is there any particular day that the store wants us to have it? And approximately how long will the event be?

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Here's the scoop: both the group moderator and the sales manager are off today. I'll be on the doorstep tomorrow to see what they think is the best time. They both said they would accomodate us and our schedules. So, if everyone is in agreement here and it works for you, how about the first week of December? It would be an evening talk, probably around 6:30, that's usually when they schedule them. Saturdays are normally set for childrens authors. On the other hand, as I'm typing this, Saturday may be a perfect day for us?????? Like mid afternoon? Big shopping day, lots of foot traffic, etc. Dec. 3rd., Dec. 10th. It's really up to you guys.

The amount of time will probably be about 2 hours. I have another thought in the back of my mind which could make things real interesting!!

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
Ok I spoke with my husband and we're thinking that the best day would actually be a Sunday early afternoon. Either the week of the 4th or the 18th. That way, we can take a trip up to our old home (Maine) Friday and Saturday (which we were planning on doing sooner or later anyway) and stop there on our way back. I think bookstores get a huge amount of traffic on Sunday afternoons, especially during the holiday season, but it depends on whether the store has anything else going on.

I really don't think I can make it during the week, unless it was Friday the 2nd or 16th at 6:30ish. I work and couldn't make it up there in time (I have been known to drive fast but not that fast!).

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
How cool is this, Brainstrains!!! Sunday might work, emphasis on might. It's the moderators day off, but, I'll see what she says tomorrow. And I'll give both dates.

So, either of those Fridays is good? I just checked my calendar and those 2 work for me. We could aim for 7pm, is that better? Then you don't have to run any red lights or state cops
smile.gif
Let's set the 2 Fridays aside for now. I'll talk w/ Dianne (group mod) and Craig (sales mgr.) tomorrow.

I have some review copies on the way which could prove interesting
smile.gif
and I'll know about the other tomorrow as well.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Jean Marie - Would you mind posting the dates you're considering? I'm keeping my eye on the calendar and the opportunity to get out there. I think the chances are less than 50% for before Dec. 19, but things are unpredictable around here. THANK YOU and good good luck with all these arrangements. VERY EXCITING and I hope we in Ohio and PA can do something similar.

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
Sundays I'd definitely be able to swing...Fridays are more of a "might"... I would have to switch some stuff around, and am about 75% sure I could do it. Just let me know the dates that are available!

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Okay, here are the potential dates:

Fri. Dec. 2nd
Sun. Dec. 4th

Fri. Dec. 16th
Sun. Dec. 18th

The Friday times would be 7pm and the Sunday one, I've no idea. I have to wait until tomorrow and see what Dianne says. The fact that we've got 4 dates to pick from is awesome!! Thanks
EmoteKiss.gif
If my other idea works, I'll flip out! Borders had something else they were going to try, and I'll know about that tomorrow as well.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Okay, I stopped in at Borders today and both Craig and Dianne were out. I dropped off more flyers and bookmarks as well as the 4 possible dates. They'll both be in tomorrow, definitely!!! I also printed what Jenna wrote on the SOS page-the other people at Borders who saw it, were thrilled.

Both of them should be in in the afternoon, so, I'll let you know by late afternoon what's happening.

Sorry for the delay
smile.gif
As soon as I get my review copies, let's just say I'll be knocking on a door or two. I'm trying to line up a mystery guest
wink.gif
or two.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Okay, we're making progress!! Just got back from Borders, and we've narrowed it down: either the 16th or 18th of December. That's Friday or Sunday.

We'll pick the final date as soon as I get a response from one of two people (surprise!!), or, both. I'm working on getting the biggest draw we can possibly get.
wink.gif
I'm waiting for my review copies, and as soon as I have them, the 2 individuals can peruse them.
smile.gif

Borders hasn't received their books yet-I'd buy 2 if they had. So, a bit more waiting is involved. I'll keep you posted!!

Status
Not open for further replies.