Delacorte Press Contest for a First Young Adult Novel

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

jenniemac

I entered my second YA novel Chronically Skeptic into this contest for 2006. I am curious if anyone else has had any experiences with this contest, or any other contests.

Jennie Mac

Shalanna

I entered, as well. We won't hear back until April, I think. Anyone else have any experience with the contest?

SinkFulloDishes

Registered
Reaction score
I entered last year and got my rejection letter at the end of April or beginning of May. This year, I just got my rejection letter about a week ago. Since I didn't win, I was thankful that they sent the letter out early this year so I can now move on to looking for an agent. A friend of mine made it to the final cut several years back, so apparently if you don't win, but make it close, they let you know.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I entered this contest last year and this year, just for fun. I just got my rejection today. Good thing, too, since I just had my first YA published. It would be terrible to have to turn that down...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The YA contest starts in October and runs through December. The prize is awarded in April.

myscribe

Who's the ninja now?!?
Registered
Reaction score
Corner of my mind (in a nice padded room)
From all the information I have, this is a very reputable contest and good opportunity. Delacorte has said that it considers all novels sent through this contest and has published from the entries. There is also a contest for MG.

Last year's winner was EM Crane and her myspace is at: http://www.myspace.com/emcrane.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is a for real contest. I don't do contests, but I am entering this one. But read the rules carefully. There are a few caveats, but they are all things I can live with.

NancyC

I entered the contest this year. I received my rejection letter in February.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too bad, Nancy. I think the deadline for MG is June 30th. I have an ms that I'm toying with entering.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've got two agents that I haven't heard back from, but their websites say that if you haven't heard from them in x weeks then consider yourself rejected, so I'm considering myself rejected just a wee bit early.

Moonshade

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody entered this years competition? I did, with my first novel. I got in the mail right before the 12/31/07 deadline.

Moonshade

Registered
Reaction score
The publication of my novel and prize money $2500 for the rights. $7500 for advance against royalties (according to their website). I've heard that the contract is very bares bones, but I figured it was worth a shot. Can't hurt, might help.

ZsaZsa

Registered
Reaction score
I entered this contest and also just got it in before the deadline date. Has anyone heard back from them in the form of a rejection letter or anything else?

Camille

Registered
Reaction score
Delacorte YA contest

I'm still waiting too. The website said rejections will be sent between Jan. and April (as they are read). I keep hoping I'm still in the running, but my always supportive (not) husband said maybe they haven't read mine yet. :rant:

Moonshade

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything. But then again, I recently moved, so my mail needs to catch up with me.

garrett

Registered
Reaction score
delacourte YA contest

Sorry if I do this incorrectly - newbie to this.
re: Delacourte Press contest for YA - I submitted and was in by 10/15-07 - got a form letter rejection 3/15/07 - yes Ides of march. I thought that since it took them that long, maybe I'd hear from another editor. No soap. No disrespect, but has anyone else notoced that all of the contest winners seem to be women?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I think this is a history of their middle grade winners. But...do you notice something a bit agitating about this list? I don't think I have to say it.
Okay, I'll say it--NINE years of no winners or prizes doled out. What does that say? That there was no viable talented entry in nearly a decade? And they call this a contest?

Previous Winning Titles and Authors
Jackson Jones and the Puddle of Thorns
by Mary Quattlebaum1999
Some Kind of Pride
by Maria Testa

Honor Book-
The Victory Garden

by Lee Kochenderfer
Seth and Samona
by Joanne Hyppolite2000
No Prize Winner1994
No Prizewinner2001
No Prize Winner1995
Follow the Leader
by Vicki Winslow 2002
No Prize Winner1996
No Prizewinner2003
No Prize Winner1997
A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
by C. Coco De Young2004
Prizefighter en Mi Casa
by e.E. Charlton-Trujillo1998
No Prizewinner2005
No Prizewinner
No Prizewinner

garrett

Registered
Reaction score
Tri - saw your post 4/01 re: delacorte and no winner for a decade. Have you noticed anything else? No disrespect, but the majority of the winners seem to be female. Maybe I've got some of this wrong, but by and large???? I submitted 10/15 and got a rej. ltr back 3/15 - 5 mons and a form ltr? I figured that if I got that close to their annouuncement deadline, something good was happening - and then a form ltr and notices re: the next contests. So sad! g

Camille

Registered
Reaction score
Delacorte contest

Did they enclose a sheet that listed the winners from previous years? I received my rejection yesterday (April 3). The sheet had "no prize winner" already listed for the contest year of 2007. I also received a form letter and info about the upcoming YA and MG
I'm disappointed, but it was a fun ride!

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you people paying to enter this contest? Just curious. A decade? I'm not convinced that something great hasn't been entered in ten years. Wonder what gives?

Camille

Registered
Reaction score
Delacorte YA contest

There is no charge and it's a respected contest (Writer's Digest contest is respected too, but they do charge a hefty fee). Delacorte is a division of Random House; you can't get in without an agent. The contest is a good way to get your foot in the door - if you have a short YA or MG to submit. On the Delacorte website it shows 8 winnings in ten years for YA and 6 winnings in fourteen years for MG. I still think it's worth a shot.

Moonshade

Registered
Reaction score
Did they enclose a sheet that listed the winners from previous years? I received my rejection yesterday (April 3). The sheet had "no prize winner" already listed for the contest year of 2007. I also received a form letter and info about the upcoming YA and MG
I'm disappointed, but it was a fun ride!

Camille, your rejection stated there's NO PRIZEWINNER for 2007? I entered the contest and have yet to receive any notification. Does this mean No one has won for 2007?

Featured Book