December 2021 DisConIII Meet-up (Washington D.C.)

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Added to Calendar: 12-15-21, 12-16-21, 12-17-21, 12-18-21, 12-19-21

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning DMVers! I don't know how much traffic this part of the forum gets nowadays (looks like not much) but nobody will use it if nobody uses it.

I posted in the DisConIII thread an idea another AWer and I had to organize some sort of informal meet-up for anyone who might be coming to DC for DisConIII in December. I won't be attending the con itself, but I love playing local tour guide and meeting up.

Are any other of us locals interested? I'm not looking for this to be anything more than meeting up at the venue (Omni Shoreham Hotel near Woodley Park Metro station) and walking to the Zoo or Adams Morgan, so don't worry about getting roped into some "Vegan Options subcommittee of the Victuals Secretariat" or anything. The most that might be needed is reserving a group room or table somewhere if there are more than a handful of us and that's what we decide to do (which I am happy to handle if it comes to that). We've got six months, so no rush on this. I just didn't want it to fall off my radar.

Reactions: AW Admin

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since I'm the other AWer Chris P mentioned, I'm chiming in here as I did in the other thread.

I wanted to add that for those who plan to attend, the Omni Shoreham Hotel is something of a DC landmark. It dates back to the 1930s and has been the site of countless Inaugural Balls. Comedian and political satirist Mark Russell did his live show from the hotel's Marquee Lounge for years, and for those that like a little horror with their SFF, Suite 870 is reputed to be haunted by a maid who died in the room.

Nearby attractions include Rock Creek Park, the National Zoo, any number of embassies and ambassadorial residences, and my personal favorite, the Washington National Cathedral, with its gothic architecture, gorgeous stained glass windows, Bishop's Garden and array of unique gargoyles and grotesques.

Reactions: AW Admin

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I'm a whole 25(ish) miles from DC on a good day, so I'm definitely down for this. As long as wherever we're meeting can be reached by Metro, I should be good. (I do NOT drive in downtown DC, even on the weekends, if I can avoid it.)

Reactions: mrsmig