• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

D4EO Literary Agency (formerly D4EO Literary Partners) (Robert Diforio)

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings --

I just heard back from Bob Diforio, who asked for the first three chapters of my novel a little while ago. He is the first agent who has read chapters and gotten back to me. I have two questions -- the first: How should I interpret his e-mail rejection? That is, he wrote:

Dear Nadine -

Thanks for the look. I have to pass, as I am simply
swamped with work at present. As is attested by the fact
that it took me two weeks to get back to you.

I wish you every success with another agent.

Best,

Bob

Should I take solace in the fact he didn't pan my novel, tell me to take up knitting instead of writing? Or is he such a nice guy -- which seems very possible -- that this is actually what his message means?

Second question: I've had a good feeling about Bob Diforio from the beginning -- maybe it's just something about guys named "Bob"? No, really -- my second question is: Is it proper/appropriate to ask him if he would consider my book again sometime in the future? That is, if no one else wants to represent me by a certain date he suggests is more convenient for him?

Any/all advice gratefully accepted!

sarbruis

Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing you can interpret. The book wasn't right for him. That's what just about every single agent will tell you. Don't look into rejections too much. There's very likely nothing there except a bunch of words that everyone else gets (ie, a form rejection). Unless it's a personal hand-written note that references your specific novel, just keep writing and writing and writing and sending more and more queries and whatnot out until you get an agent that wants to represent you.

For your second question: If he doesn't want it now, he probably isn't going to want it two months from now. You can query him again, but you'll just get the same response, and he'll most likely recognize the title (or your name or the query) unless it's been quite a while. If you want to change the story dramatically, then send it again, but only if there're major differences that may change his mind. He's a legitimate agent though; he reps that Treasure Trove book that's sold a zillion copies about the real-life treasure hunt.

Last edited:

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly new to this

Thanks, Sarbrius, for your input -- kinda silly of me to try and read into such an innocuous e-mail rejection, no? I guess I was expecting "no, thanks" or "not really my cuppa" and the "too busy" bit threw me. That, and the fact he was the agent I had most wanted to work with ... now, I'll just sit here and wait for the others to get back to me ... doing my best to appear more worldly wise ... jaded ...

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
It's perfectly proper to query the same agent a second time, however, from what I've read _not_ with the same book. If you really want this particular agent, I would polish up a different work, wait at least a few months, and then send him the second work along with a different query letter. In the meantime, I would continue querying other reputable agents. Perhaps you'll find another agent that's a great fit for you. If not, you've lost nothing in the interim. Good luck!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection

smallthunder said:
Greetings --

I just heard back from Bob Diforio, who asked for the first three chapters of my novel a little while ago. He is the first agent who has read chapters and gotten back to me. I have two questions -- the first: How should I interpret his e-mail rejection? That is, he wrote:

Dear Nadine -

Thanks for the look. I have to pass, as I am simply
swamped with work at present. As is attested by the fact
that it took me two weeks to get back to you.

I wish you every success with another agent.

Best,

Bob

Should I take solace in the fact he didn't pan my novel, tell me to take up knitting instead of writing? Or is he such a nice guy -- which seems very possible -- that this is actually what his message means?

Second question: I've had a good feeling about Bob Diforio from the beginning -- maybe it's just something about guys named "Bob"? No, really -- my second question is: Is it proper/appropriate to ask him if he would consider my book again sometime in the future? That is, if no one else wants to represent me by a certain date he suggests is more convenient for him?

Any/all advice gratefully accepted!

You can drive yourself crazy trying to read between the lines of rejection letters. All this one means is "No thanks." Unless a rejection asks for a rewrite, all they ever really mean is "No thanks."

Don't resubmit the same novel to this agent. If had wished to see it again at a later date, he would have said so.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
Rejectomancy is a fine old tradition. It's rarely fruitful, though.

I would send him a brief thank-you note, saying "Thanks for taking the time to consider my work," and little else.

Good luck.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
maestrowork said:
It's a "no." Send the ms out again. I find it counter-productive to try to interpret a rejection.

Truer words have never been spoken..er, typed. I'd like to add that I think 2 weeks is pretty zippy...from the little experience I have with waiting on replies from agents.

Just re-send to another agent. And the best of luck to you!

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
D4EO Literary Partners (Robert Diforio)

Anybody know anything about DE40? Do they sell to major publishing houses?

Thanks guys. What would I do without you!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
There's already a thread: <snipped>

Last edited by a moderator:

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
What is this about the Hotdog manuscript and Publish America. That scares me . . . anyone have any info on this? Is this group legit?

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Julie. I posted on that old thread but it's not showing up yet. Do you know if Bob Diforio is legit?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Julie, it's ok to post a thread in this forum asking for references on an agent (unless there's already a thread *here* and I did a search, I didn't find one). The other thread is in Novels and not specifically about D4EO but rather asking for input on a rejection from him. I should go check the index...brb.

yes, there's an old locked one - http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915

not much info there, at the time he looked ok.

Last edited:

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Dawn! This thread is very helpful. I read something on the thread that Julie gave me about them selling something to PA . . . I couldn't find any proof to back that up - but PA in any sentence sends me running away quickly! =) Maybe one of you mods can look at that thread for me and see what you guys think?

Their sales records on Publishers Marketplace show three New York Best Sellers . . . which is rather tempting I must admit. I just don't see how someone who sells a NY best seller . . . would be associated with PA?

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Titan. I can't find any proof to back that up . . . and the link with that PA comment shows nothing. They are recommended by Preditors and Editors and show three NY best sellers on their sales record along with many others. Everything else I've seen is so postive . . . that PA comment just threw me for a loop! If anyone can back up that PA thread . . .let me know. That's scary.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Julie, it's ok to post a thread in this forum asking for references on an agent (unless there's already a thread *here* and I did a search, I didn't find one). The other thread is in Novels and not specifically about D4EO but rather asking for input on a rejection from him. I should go check the index...brb.

yes, there's an old locked one - http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915

not much info there, at the time he looked ok.

Sorry. I didn't notice it was in novels.

Manat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithjamesauthor.com
Bob Diforio was the agent who sold Bob "not the poet" Bly's manuscript about hot dogs to PublishAmerica.

What? That seems a little hard to swallow. He was 17 years at NAL, part of it as CEO, and he's repped Clive Cussler, and he has sales to everyone, Pocket, Signet NAL etc. I'm pretty sure not to publish america. You can't make a sale to them anyway can you? I thought they sell to you.

Manat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithjamesauthor.com
Bob is completely legit. He was at NAL 17 years for a time as VP sales and also as President and CEO. He reps fiction and non fiction, has repped Clive Cussler, has authors on the NYT list, has tons of sales and rights sales etc.

* as to the PA stuff. I'm assuming the poster might have been confusing selling a book to publish america, with listing a sale on publisher's marketplace.

Last edited:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Titan. I can't find any proof to back that up . . . and the link with that PA comment shows nothing. They are recommended by Preditors and Editors and show three NY best sellers on their sales record along with many others. Everything else I've seen is so postive . . . that PA comment just threw me for a loop! If anyone can back up that PA thread . . .let me know. That's scary.

He's sold several Bob Bly books, and Bly has one book that was recently published by PA. This was All-American Frank. Odd, but the sales aren't that bad for a PA book (possibly because it's linked to a more popular book).

Last edited:

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I agree. That was quite odd - with all their sales, they are hard to irnore however. Does everyone think they are reliable?