• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

D4EO Literary Agency (formerly D4EO Literary Partners) (Robert Diforio)

ChicBookFiend2

He is completely legit. Not only from the info on Publisher's Marketplace and Writer Beware, but also in the way he deals with his clients. I signed with him three weeks ago. I queried him, he asked to see the complete ms, e-mailed me the next day saying he wanted to represent it and sent me a written agreement to sign over the weekend. He sent my ms to 13 editors a couple of days after receiving my signed contract. Of all of 13, only one has passed, one seems interested and nada from the others, but it's been only 3 weeks, so I have to be patient. He won't hold your hand or e-mail/call you constantly, but he gets you sold. (I have e-mailed several of his authors, all of whom spoke very favorably of him.) As for the person he sent his ms to without an agreement first -- perhaps he was unsure over whether or not to represent it and was "testing the waters." I don't know. All I know is that he did it all in an orderly fashion with me.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
ChicBookFiend2, he said he would be willing to represent my novel if I sold it in Spain. Perhaps he had only one contact for my subject matter. Given the 24 hour turnaround for 150,000+ words, I have serious doubts if he read it.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Say what?

I am very, very new at this process (1st novel- sent some queries out before finding all you smart folks, damnit!), but because of that I've been doing a dizzying amount of research into agents, and their practices, and publishing in general. I have to admit- the sending of the ms to an editor w/out notice or offer of representation concerns me, too. A lot.

One thing that I keep reading in agents' websites and blogs is that they offer much more than a sale to a publisher. They also offer (among other things) their expertise in what editors look for (or look to find absent) in a ms, and knowledge of what is saleable.

It really feels like if Mr. D4EO sent out this ms to an editor (effectively "using up" that editor for the book) without offering those services, that he kind of screwed donroc. Perhaps with the right tweaking, donroc's ms could have been right. If this agent found it so perfect that he didn't think any agent input was necessary, then I am sure he would have signed donroc on the spot and soldiered on with it. This feels bad. It feels lazy. It feels like "I like it, but I am busy and don't have the time to put into it- I'll let the editor make the yea or nay."

What agent lets one rejection determine salability?

Mr. D4EO was on my list of "look into a little more" for possible querying. I think I'm too green at this to consider sending to a maverick, and I'm so glad I found this thread.

Fortunately it sounds like it didn't hurt donroc in the end. Congratulations on the sale! Yea!
:e2headban

Manat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithjamesauthor.com
I am very, very new at this process (1st . I think I'm too green at this to consider sending to a maverick, and I'm so glad I found this thread.

Getting the $ and the recommended on preds and eds is about as good as it gets, in terms of objective vetting of agents, other than speaking to their other clients. That and having been a Chief Executive Officer of NAL, one of the really BIG publishers, is about as far away from a maverick as you can get. You'd be very lucky to get him.

Last edited:

ChicBookFiend2

I am very, very new at this process (1st . I think I'm too green at this to consider sending to a maverick, and I'm so glad I found this thread.

Getting the $ and the recommended on preds and eds is about as good as it gets, in terms of objective vetting of agents, other than speaking to their other clients. That and having been a Chief Executive Officer of NAL, one of the really BIG publishers, is about as far away from a maverick as you can get. You'd be very lucky to get him.

ITA. I did a lot of research on Bob before I signed with him. Believe me, he is as good as you can find. Query him, and if he asks to see your ms, let him know that you don't want any editors to read your work until the two of you have signed the author's agreement if it'll make you feel better. But I wouldn't worry about that. He sent my ms to editors AFTER I signed with him. I've only been his client for three weeks, but already I like him. He always responds to my e-mails and forwards all of the exchange he has with editors regarding my book. (Those are the only times he keeps in touch -- when he has news regarding my novel. Otherwise, he doesn't contact you.) And from what I've heard from his other clients, the ones I've contacted, he gets your stuff sold. Either way, trust your instincts. I queried 15 agents, six of whom requested to see my ms, the others either rejected it or I haven't heard from. I'm glad I found Bob Diforio.

Last edited:

inkmonkey

D4E0

Hi, I'm a bit reluctant to join this as I only put my name on the Newbies list yesterday. But I guess it's what this site is about so...
I finished a new novel recently that was a change of direction, so I decided to change agent as the one I had was more 'literary' than the new book. Anyway, I wanted a new London agent and approached one, she was interested and started reading. While she was, I decided to query a few more, just in case.
I tried Bob Diforio. He replied instantly, told me he was busy but liked the cover letter and CV and wanted to look at the MSS. This was on a Saturday. The next day he sent an email to say he had submitted the novel to a publisher (small to medium) he thought might be intersted. I was shocked and concerned, but thought, 'Where's the harm, feedback might be useful'.
As this was happening, the London agent got in touch to say she wanted to rep the novel and we signed. I informed Bob, he was very generous and offered his congratualtions. End of story.
Or is it? That nagging little voice told me it was wrong. Writers and agents do not deal this way. Sounding out the market by mutual agreement is fine. Firing off a wirtier's work to what might be the most expedient way of getting a quick fix is not. I don't even see how he had time to even read my novel before sending it off.
If you know these are the terms of engagement and you are happy, query. Me, I would want to see what the big players had to say first.
The same little voice told me I had heard a similar story to mine before. Today, I tracked it down. Look up G Jones Anyone who's Everyone (or whatever it is called) and check out his correspondence with Bob.
best,
Inkmonkey

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The same little voice told me I had heard a similar story to mine before. Today, I tracked it down. Look up G Jones Anyone who's Everyone (or whatever it is called) and check out his correspondence with Bob.

Here's a link to the exchange with Diforio, which is almost exactly halfway down the page. Diforio says, "I'm pleased to become your agent," then sends the MS out to an editor without asking, and without a contract. After the editor passes he also passes, and claims he had permission to send it out when he didn't--at least according to Gerald Jones.

So I take back what I said in my earlier posts. I still don't mind him sending it out, but I don't like the deception.

Last edited:

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Wha?

Why would Diforio send the MS to an editor without the author's permission? I just don't understand that. That's just...unnecessary. (And borderline unethical.)

No need for that.

Guy's got some big-time clients, though.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Bob is completely legit. He was at NAL 17 years for a time as VP sales and also as President and CEO. He reps fiction and non fiction, has repped Clive Cussler, has authors on the NYT list, has tons of sales and rights sales etc.

* as to the PA stuff. I'm assuming the poster might have been confusing selling a book to publish america, with listing a sale on publisher's marketplace.
Nope. Mr. Bly's book came out in Feb 2007 (175pp, $19.95). Dig in the bowels of NEPAT for the discussion of it, including PA bragging about signing the wrong Bly. :rolleyes: At the time, several folks asked Mr. Diforio "WTF?" and, IIRC from my own correspondance, he hadn't a clue about PA. August would have been the first "real" royalty check....

williamfromkc

I'm keeping my day job
Registered
Reaction score
On PM: Diforio is number 19 on the list of the top 200 highest-producing agents since 2000. He does not seem to be on the list for the last 12 and six months. Maybe he's cooled off a little. But in the last 12 months, PM lists 22 deals in non-fiction. Almost all of his deals are "nice deals" or the lowest $ category.

He seems like a guy who can make things happen.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I was at an event with an established agent (with a "$" sign of her own) recently, and she mentioned an agent who's famous (notorious) among other agents for sending any full he's considering out to an editor before deciding whether to ofter representation.

I remembered this discussion and told her I thought I'd seen mention of the agent's practice on this board. She shrugged and said, "Bob Diforio."

Hard to imagine he wouldn't have a stellar sales record. It's also hard to imagine how the practice is good for anyone but him. It might be okay for the clients he does sign, but it leaves me with questions about the benefit to them down the road with new, different books, plus there's the ick factor.

At this point it's a little like beating a dead horse, but I found it interesting that it came up independently from an agent and figured I'd add it to the B&BC mix.

mrs.trujillo18

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christytrujillo.com
D4EO

Hi there! I actually posted this on another thread but was told there was already a discussion for this so here I am.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with Bob. He has been very responsive to me. He is very nice, professional, and is definitely a man who can get things done. I can’t say enough positive things about him!!

MojoJojo

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but P@E gives him a recommended and a $ sign. What with that, authors on the NYT best seller list and his industry credentials, not sure why there seems to be so much concern and suspicion.

OMG! I read that book (Broken Wing) and it is fantastic!!!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
New Agent alert:

Mandy Hubbard has joined the D4EO Literary Agency where she will concentrate on YA and Middle-Grade fiction.

Mandy began her career in publishing on the other side of the desk: as an author. Her debut novel, PRADA AND PREJUDICE, (Razorbill/Penguin-- June 2009) is in its fifth printing. She has four other books under contract, divided among Harlequin, Llewellyn Flux, and Razorbill/Penguin.

Mandy interned at The Bent Agency before joining D4EO Literary, where she is now building her list, focusing on YA and Middle-Grade fiction.

Mandy is interested in a broad range of YA/MG, whether they be contemporary or historical, fantasy/paranormal or realistic. She loves books with a heavy focus on romance, as well as “issue books” with a strong voice. If your book has a high concept or a big hook, she wants to see it.

If your story includes portals to fantasy worlds, wizards or dragons, it’s probably not for her. Please, no chapter books, pictures books, poetry, non-fiction, or books for the adult market.

To query mandy, send your query letter, along with the first five pages of your manuscript (both pasted into the body of an email) to [email protected].

Website: http://www.mandyhubbard.com/ and Blog: http://mandyhubbard.livejournal.com/

Droneon

Too clever by a third
Registered
Reaction score
After reading this thread from the beginning, I'd be wary of this guy, no matter how successful he is, if he's still sending out mss. without clear advance permission from the author and a signed agreement. It's just wrong to do that. Does anyone know if he's still in tha habit of doing this?

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I'm excited about Mandy, but I'm still confused about the agency itself. I know P&E is legit, but Bob's practices seem a little squicky. But then Bob =/= Mandy and I wouldn't think she's under any obligations to adopt the same practices.

Still, what do you think?

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
One ought not to reward bad behavior even if it's to one's own benefit.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
After reading this thread from the beginning, I'd be wary of this guy, no matter how successful he is, if he's still sending out mss. without clear advance permission from the author and a signed agreement. It's just wrong to do that. Does anyone know if he's still in tha habit of doing this?

He isn't for me. I have nothing but good things to say about him.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Mandy requested a full from me. She's probably requesting more right now while she has no clients.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In fact, she just tweeted that she's requested 11 of her first 60 queries.

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Sage, I queried her a few hours ago. How long did it take for her to get back to you?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
2 days. I queried her the same day she announced ;)