D2D Paperback Spine

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I was excited that I was offered to be in the Draft2Digital paperback beta program, but for some reason they don't allow normal font size on their spines. My book is only about 140 pages, so it's short. But when I printed through Amazon, I had the spine font at 15pt. For it to be approved by D2D it needs to be about 3pt. That's ridiculously small and will look awful. It will look like a mistake so it seems pointless to even put text on the spine, but I really don't want to have a blank spine.

Does anyone know why their spine font has to be so small? And is there a way around this?

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
This might seem obvious but I'll ask anyway. Are you using the same page size on D2D as you are on KDP Print? 150 pages in a 6" x 9" format might indeed be too thin of a spine if it were say, 9 1/2" x 11".

Reactions: MaryLennox

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I am using the same page size. It's a 5x8, which makes the 140 pages a decent width. Even the template looks similar, except for some reason the guides on the D2D one leave far less "safe space" than the KDP one of the same size.

A large christmas tree with lights outdoors in the snow, with a snowman, houses, and children