• We’re running on a new server at a new host with a new forum software called XenForo. Some things are different. Some things may not work as expected. I am working on it as fast as I can. Please be patient. Please read this post.
  • I'm going to be working on the forums for a while. Things may be wonky. I may turn the forums off without notice. Consider this a bit of a public beta test as we figure out the new software and make adjustments. But you've been much missed, and we can't wait to see you again!

Currently Inked: What Pen and Ink are you currently using?

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.digitalmedievalist.com

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That yellow pen cheers me up just looking at it. Happy for you, benbenberi.

pattmayne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattmayne.com
I had been using Pilot V5 "HI-TECPOINT" 0.5 black pens, because they make nice thick black lines.

But that's too messy. So now I use 0.3. I have some Pilot "G-TEC" and some other 0.3 pens. Much finer lines (obviously) and forces me to write more clearly.

I still use the heavier ink pens for larger notes but those lines are just so thick.

mentacle

Registered
Reaction score
Fountain pen fanatic here! I use reds like Iroshizuku Momiji or Yamabudo or Jacques Herbin Rouge Hematite for my brainstorming notes, written with a Sheaffer Prelude that my father gave me. Then I rewrite everything, condensing and refining as I go, using a broad nibbed pen- usually a Nemosine Singularity tipped with a B-sized Goulet nib, with waterproof Rohrer and Klingner sketch inks in case of coffee spills. I also use a small squadron of vintage Pilot pocket pens- you can get really interesting nibs for a relatively cheap price! On the whole, though, I prefer Western to Eastern nib sizes, so I stick to Western pens- mostly Sheaffers or anything that can use a generic Jowo nib.

mentacle

Registered
Reaction score
I usually prefer Mediums, but I've recently become obsessed with grinds and italics. I think it's all about my mood. I've been a little buoyant/manic lately, and my preference for extremely thick, wet nibs followed... Recently I purchased a Custom 74 music nib, and I was lucky enough to purchase a broad Rotring Newton that a local nibmeister ground into a wet, thick cursive italic. Also very lucky to have an old Franklin Christoph SIG nib by Jim Rouse before he passed- that's an interesting nib!

Celine

Registered
Reaction score
I like stub nibs, so the Pilot Custom 74 Music Nib is the perfect pen for me. I love its ergonomic size and classic design.

sphynge

Registered
Reaction score
Fountain pen victim.

I’m a fountain pen victim.
My daily writers are the Visconti Homo sapiens and the Visconti Watermark
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...inbow-NewVariant-1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1564773116

With Pilot inks - I have the ama iro and the pink (forgot name). Pink in watermark.
Notebooks - currently on Nuuna but the latest is ghosting, no idea why the pens and inks havenÂ’t changed. Also have a YDesign tomoe river notebook that IÂ’m saving for... who knows what. Genius ideas? Hah.

Maryn

Staying Home Forever
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a small number of notebooks I appear to be saving for the End Times. Nothing is good enough for them, you know?

Are you by chance typing on a non-English keyboard? I'm seeing a capital A with a "hat" plus an apostrophe in places where an apostrophe goes. If you don't know how to get rid of it, don't worry. We'll come to think of it as your amusing little quirk.

Maryn, whose quirks aren't all that amusing

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Fuguilong 902 - Pelikan Tinte - Fullhaltertinte Konigsblau #4001

sphynge

Registered
Reaction score
I have a small number of notebooks I appear to be saving for the End Times. Nothing is good enough for them, you know?

Are you by chance typing on a non-English keyboard? I'm seeing a capital A with a "hat" plus an apostrophe in places where an apostrophe goes. If you don't know how to get rid of it, don't worry. We'll come to think of it as your amusing little quirk.

Maryn, whose quirks aren't all that amusing

I know! At first I went back and edited them out... and circa 1am, I was like, F** it. I'm on a regular iPhone and while I do have a few keyboards installed I'm (in theory) using the US-English one. Just switched to my desktop. Although, maybe I'll grow fond of that A`...

On notebooks... I know the feeling. I have a few (cough cough dozens cough) that I look at sideways with the "you're the champagne to my collection and the clock hasn't struck midnight" look to.... often. Very often.

Last edited:

cmhbob

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I've been thinking about getting a fountain pen just for the cool factor. Was out at dinner with a friend this weekend, and he had just gotten into the hobby with like three pens. I think I'm hooked.

Reactions: Tocotin

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've been thinking about getting a fountain pen just for the cool factor. Was out at dinner with a friend this weekend, and he had just gotten into the hobby with like three pens. I think I'm hooked.
There are a lot of nice pens that aren't $$. I'm trying very hard not to buy any, but some of the Chinese pens are dangerously tempting.

Reactions: Tocotin and cmhbob

ChaseJxyz

Writes birds and bird accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
I have gotten into fountain pens over the past few months. I think I can blame Maryn since they mentioned Platinum Preppies. I got one....then the whole rainbow pack...then stuff to convert my duplicate blue into an eyedropper pen....and then I went to the LAMY store in downtown San Francisco!

I do a lot of my "whatever" writing with the Preppy with Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-jaku ink and my "work" writing with the LAMY AL-STAR with LAMY Amazonite ink. It was supposed to stay at work and I'd started going back into the office but a pipe burst and now it's at home with me. My work notebook is a Moleskine from their Moleskine studio series and it sucks so much with fountain pens, once I use it up I'll switch brands. My totally disorganized for everything writing notebook is some random Moleskine knock off from Amazon (it's "white marble" with "gold," you know that pattern everyone has for their iPhone case I bought it for that) and I use Pentel EnerGel pens with that (my fave pens tbh). I bought a caliber composition book from CVS because I read it was really good for fountain pens and it is! It's a $3 notebook and it performs better than the ~$40 Moleskine??? I'm using it just for my interactive story because I'll have to throw it in my bag to meet with friends for the programming stuff.

I have been trying to get my friends also into fountain pens but most of them don't write things down since they have JIRA and stuff 😩 So I'm glad I can talk to people here about it!!

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, absolutely, the first one is free.

I gave one of my Metropolitans away to a friend. It's not a bad pen but it's a large pen, and I'm not a fan. I kept the "stub" metropolitan; it has a wide angled nib that's useful for calligraphy. The Metropolitan, for me, is a little too heavy to write with comfortably for long.

Honestly, while the Metropolitan is often suggested as a "first" pen, I tend to suggest people try a Platinum Preppy first. Yes, it's plastic, but it's refillable, and you can find out if you really are interested for less than 10.00.

I also like TWSBI ECO, and I like Lamy Vista and Safari, but many people find the triangular grip, where your fingers rest, uncomfortable.

AW Admin

Herder of Hamsters
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My work notebook is a Moleskine from their Moleskine studio series and it sucks so much with fountain pens, once I use it up I'll switch brands.
Look for Rhodia or Clair Fontaine for reliably good paper for fountain pens. Moleskine has gradually degraded paper quality, and much of the buzz around the brand is artificially generated by marketing.

That said, I do most draft writing in standard composition books I buy in bulk on sales. They're rarely more than 1.00, often just 0.50. The trick is that you buy one and test the paper, then go back and buy more. You can't count on the same brand working with fountain pens year after year. Typically paper made in countries that use sugar cane or rice to make the paper tends to be better.

Reactions: ChaseJxyz