• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Crystal Dreams Press (formerly Crystal Dreams Publishing)

Steve S

My My

My name is Steve Savile. To date I have been a runner up in the British Fantasy Society Awards, on the ballot for the Bram Stoker Award and recently won the Writers of the Future Award. I am currently part of the committee formed by the Horror Writers Association to regulate complaints about publishing houses. I am not and have never been a writer with Crystal Dreams. Neither am I David, the long time force behind Preditors and Editors, nor alas am I capitalistwriter. Nor am I Victoria, or Sybil.

I am not ashamed of who I am, nor am I afriad of the wrath of Crystal Dreams. I have a lot of information about Crystal Dreams partially due to my long standing friendship with one of their authors. More information has come my way since this ugly situation raised its head.

I have been stunned by the level of unprofessionalism exhibited by Crystal Dreams.

I have a lot of evidence that provides a picture of a company I would strongly recommend no writer ever touch, even with the proverbial barge pole. I am willing to post the author unfriendly contract here. I have seen too many companies use weaselling excuses to avoid taking responsibility for their actions. To claim to an author's representative that the request of a registered letter have been done, immediately upon receipt, which have not been done, then to simultaneously blame it upon a glitch in the database on a static webpage and on the fact that (as contradictory as it is) that the web manager tripped over his dog and has concussion and so must never have done the things Miller claims were done, many times, whilst wrestling with database glitches etc, well, the more excuses made the more they trip over themselves.

I am also willing to post every one of Mr. Miller's missives with their contradictions and patent unprofessionalism - I don't feel particularly intimidated by the secrecy demand placed on the bottom of the emails. I am also happy to discuss very openly the fact that when one Crystal Dreams author arranged an interview and feature on SFFWORLD where I was a staff writer Mark Hauser proceeded to deflect conversation toward his own books and promote himself instead of the original writer who had arranged the interview and feature. That is not an assistant editor I would like on my side.

Sir States the Obvious might have taken two minutes to investigate who I was, who David is, and realised that yet again the valiant defence of Crystal Dreams has fallen into the hands of idiots.

I am personally delighted that more Crystal Dreams authors have chosen to post their experiences with this company, because, and lets be honest here, 80% of the Crystal Dreams author roster are also part of the management team. So the fact that 3 Crystal Dreams authors have spoken up means that less than half of the authors that aren't part of the management team are content with the intricate web of incompetence Crystal Dreams management are busily weaving around themselves.

Steve

Still Steve - not David. Not Anonymous... Not anyone but myself.

Sylence C

So..

So.. I write under my own name. Sylence Campbell.
My book is called "The Sounds of Sylence"
I had my artwork done by a fabulous artist by the name of Charles Johnson out of Winston Salem NC.

Its my pride and joy and I have been getting some really nice reviews so far. That is so very exciting to read.

Writing is my passion..but i suppose its everyones passion here.

roolmarty

Re: many disguises

Sir States the Obvious

I see your comment, and raise them...

Its fairly obvious to me that you are another (or the same) management team member of Crystal Dreams.

I have *no* knowledge of Crystal Dreams. I am not a published author, I'm a wannabe. I wish I was Dave or Steve or Capitalistwriter, because then I'd BE a published author.

Oh well.

My comments were in reaction to Mr Beebe's contentious and illogical post. That is all.

marty

SRHowen

Re: many disguises

Capitalistwriter, Steve, SR, Marty and Dave have the same writing style, same attitude and same intimate knowledge of Crystal Dreams.

Interesting--since I have no association with CD at all, other than what has been put up here--you can do a name search for me and you will get several hits. Check out the magazine I write for--no I don't always sign in at the BB system, but do here when I post so my info is not always on my post--

We have the same style? Well, I know Dave is an editor and so am I, that may have something to do with it. And whose style really shows up in a post--come on--if you are a professional you are going to sound like other professionals.

I have an agent and publishing credits. You can check that too--unless somehow on top of working for Wild Child Publishing, and working on my next book, I have time to run predators and Editors as well---

Funny, then it would seem that almost every post on the topic was made by the same person. Odd I guess I must just go from topic to topic and have conversations with myself all over the place.:rollin :lol

Shawn

reph

Very-small-world theory

There's only one explanation, and it is obvious. Shawn and Dave and CapitalistWriter and the rest of the gang are identical septuplets or whatever, separated at birth and struggling in vain against the force of Destiny that shaped their prose styles and guided them to this forum.

Next week: Channeling the secret wisdom of Neth Urlos, pre-Ptolemaic astronomer and weight-loss guru. ;)

CharmedMom

RE: What's going on?

Just a quick response in reference to the royalty checks. As someone close to one of the Crystal Dreams Publishing authors, I have seen no checks from them since TW took over. I can honestly state this as my name is on the bank account and I handle all the money, for I'm studying to be a CPA. Moreover, I saw evidence that sales of my author's books had indeed occurred. Was this in the most recent quarter when the late payments are deflected due to aforementioned deaths/births/dog tripping? NO. It was in MARCH. If in my day job I neglected to pay an employee for hours worked in March until now, we'd have been taken to court justifiably a long time ago!

When I was in the Army, my commanders never ate until the soldiers ate first. Perhaps Crystal Dreams management should adopt that strategy, as my author has not to this day received his royalties that TW himself stated was sold, but it is obvious by the other posts that the remainder of the management team has.

Rene

crude, rude and unattractive

I think all of this debate is unnecessary. I only needed to read the "pimple on the ass" statement to realize that this company is a waste of time. The strident voice of unprofessionalism and disrespect speaks very eloquently all by itself. Why would any self-respecting author, writer or editor waste time on a company like this? It sound like desperation to be published. Have some self-respect people. If you're treated with such vile disrespect in a public forum, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you will not be treated honorably in a business relationship with those who are basically amoeba. Pond scum.

Give it up. Get a life. Find a new publisher. Write. Write. Write. The rest will come. Stay the course. You are worth it.

Peace

Rene Aucoin, editor, RangeleyMedia.com

Kimbo

CURRENT CD WRITER

Since Mr. Miller has just accused me of listing negative things on this board I would like everyone @ CDP and on this board to know that I will not hide behind anonymity like some have and will let you know who I am...

Kim M. Brooks
Author of 'The Devil's Triangle'

I saw by some of the earlier comments that some of the others have shared things that were discussed privately between us [regarding Mark's e-mail to me about TW's acting like a child] I apologize for sharing that e-mail with others Mark because it was a confidential discussion between only us. I didn't know it was going to be aired in the dirty laundry.

Real adult comments Phil!

But I do agree with Dave and some of the others, these matters should have been handled in-house and not aired to the public.

I just wanted everyone to know that if I would have had something to say, then I would have posted it.:rolleyes

Kimbo

Sylence C

Unsettled

I cannot believe how this is progressing.
I think Vauren Davidson has been the most professional voice on this board so far.

I am sorry i ever read this board, posted to this board and Im not sure i want to be part of any of these companies.
Is this kindergarten or what?

As for my posts. if i offended anyone. I apologize.

I just want to write.

This makes me very unnerved and upset.

Steve S

Duty?

In many ways it would have been wonderful if this could all have been solved in house, but as a caveat to that, the treatment of the writers who have communicated with me over the last few months indicates that they have been trying to do just that for a protracted time and were getting nowhere. My very good friend has been hip deep in just that for over 6 months and recieved only stony silence.

By airing it like this other perspective writers will recieve an impression of what to expect as things currently stand within the management team of Crystal Dreams. To deny that there are problems does not negate their existance. Miller himself has admitted that there are a number of things he would do differently -- including revising the contract. You can look at this situation and release that should Crystal Dreams succeed in restructuring their set-up and focus more keenly on author rights and care, providing professionalism as a keyword to how they handle themselves instead of blaming writers like Kim for comments made by others, then some very real good has come out of the situation for NEW writers entering the fold. It is imperative that writers are aware of their rights within any given situation and that as a group have a strong voice as creators of art. It is regrettable for Miller that those who chose to defend him did so so very unprofessionally. I was gratified to hear that in mails he has acted professionally, however disheartened to read Kimbo's post which seems to validate a lot of the private comments I have recieved about the management handling of affairs at Crystal Dreams.

As David so rightly said it is a very steep learning curve in small press publishing and the instinct is to run before you can walk. With sales apparently so slow the temptation is to add new writers to the roster to try to provide fresh impetus - but internal accounting methods need to be addressed, when company representatives report 11 books sold at a signing those 11 books should appear on the royalty statement. David is again completely right that cheques may be hold over if sales are very slow but complete royalty statements should be dispatched in a timely fashion.

As it stands I still would not recommend colleagues publish there BUT if Miller institutes some promised changes, reworking the contract for instance, introducing someone to work with the authors instead of deleting emails which may contain vital information, and refrains for immotive comments about his authors on the mailing list, all may not be lost.

The comment about self publishing made above has some validity in this instance - if the publisher are not in a position to promote your work in a tangiable way they act as little more than a printer, and the only benefit they offer is an editorial process and a name, so that name needs to be worth something.

Prof G

WOW!

Boy this keeps getting better and better (heavy sarcasm) :rolleyes

I'm not connected at all with the publishing world but I have found this subject very enlightening. I visit these sites to find examples to use in class.
I've been sitting here laughing my butt off at how unprofessional this company appears to be.
I've studied psychology for awhile now, so here's my psychological opinion.....it sounds like the entire management team is suffering from 'Narcissistic Personality Disorder' and has reverted back to childhood. I would recommend that the entire management team go to their local college and take some psychology and anger management courses, because then you would recognize that by some of these comments that most of these writers have a basis for complaining and obviously felt they had to go to a public forum because they weren't getting heard by the management.

This is human nature!

I noticed that there were some accusations being tossed about, let me let you in on a little secret about human nature.....Flinging around accusations carelessly is the quickest way to tear down a company and destroy trust between people.

If I was in the market for a publisher then CD's unproffesionalism alone would discredit them.

Prof. G

Dave Kuzminski

Update

As I promised, this is a later posting with an update concerning this situation.

Mr. Miller of Crystal Dreams did send me a copy of the proposed new contract for his company's authors. It features much of the boilerplate from the SFWA templates. However, I will leave its suitability up to the authors involved as it's not up to me whether to accept it or not.

He also stated "this contract will be sent out with the royalty checks that are going out this afternoon, all of them." In light of this, I believe that my earlier suggestion of working this out over the next week to two weeks remains viable. After all, if the mail runs smoothly, those statements, checks, and contracts should be reaching the appropriate authors within the next few working days; most, if not all, I would imagine by Wednesday, 10 Sep 03. In the meantime, I will continue to monitor this situation while hoping that it works out to everyone's benefit.

Steve S

To echo David

To echo David (I seem to do that a lot) I have seen the proposed new contract and it shows a marked improvement on the old one but it is up to individual authors to choose to sign or not, but this willingness to change I view as a positive thing. TW Miller has been very open in his discussion with me and much more professional than his representatives here. I hope that this all works out for the best in the long run.

Steve

Victoria

Crystal Dreams

I've seen the contract too, and in my opinion it is now a fair one. As Steve said, individual authors must make their own decisions, but I think that TW Miller deserves credit for his willingness to address the issues that have been raised here.

- Victoria
Writer Beware
www.sfwa.org/beware/

nebulab00k

first time reader

I found it extremely interesting that so many contributors/authors have such poor spelling and grammar skills.

Spouse of exCrystal Dreams author

If you think this is bad...

You should see a book when it comes back from being converted into their PDF file and sent to their printer. :rolleyes

WriterBum

I think I know what everyone is upset about now...

I received my miserable royalty check and there is definitely something fishy about this statement. Why would a reputable publisher pay a $1.00 more to have a book printed than he would selling it to a bookstore?

That just doesn't sound like a wise business decision

8o

Vauren Davidson

Re: Does anyone know anything about Crystal Dreams Publishin

I accidently posted this to the other Crystal Dreams thread, thought I'd repost it here so it's in the correct place:

WriterBum,

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your royalties, I'm sure Mr. Miller or the appointed author liason will be more than willing to assist you. So feel free to contact them as they would have infinitely more information than this board will and are willing to work with both Victoria and Preditors & Editors to ensure that you are receiving a fair deal.

Vauren Davidson
VP of Marketing & Public Relations
Crystal Dreams Publications

XThe NavigatorX

Re: Does anyone know anything about Crystal Dreams Publishin

This is a really interesting topic.

I'm curious, does the new contract have an audit clause? That is, the authors have the right to hire an independent CPA to come in and look at the books of the company. Usually the clause says if there are a certain number of errors in the books, the publisher has to pay for the audit.

Kimbo

Recently departed writer from Crystal Dreams

My contract doesn't state anything about whether or not I can request an audit of the company's books

:\

Rupert Crawford

Crystal Dreams Publishing

Some months ago, there was some criticism of CDP. Does anyone have any news of them now? Are they still operating? Have they published any new books recently? Is there any news, good or bad?

Writerbum

Ex- CDP writer

I've had problems with them myself. I sent 2 certified letters to Mr. Miller back in Sept/Oct 2003 requesting information then a release from my contract I've yet to hear from him or anyone at the company!!!!

MEANWHILE, my contract expired Oct/Nov [He never would give me an exact date when it expired] and my books are still being sold at Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com, Books-a-million, etc etc :teeth

I've consulted a lawyer and they have told me that a publisher HAS to pay you your royalties if they are still selling your book!

astonwest

Re: Ex- CDP writer

"my books are still being sold at Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com, Books-a-million"

Let me ask...are they being sold as an order from the publisher, or does the wholesaler (or bookseller) have a certain number in their warehouse?

If the wholesaler (or bookseller) made a nominal purchase when the book first came available, and there was no way for them to return the book, I would imagine they'd still be offered up for sale. However, the payment would have already been made (presumably) and royalty as well...

Of course, this is all a theory on my part...so take it for what it's worth (and what you paid for it)...