• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Crossed Genres Publications

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen their "One way to guarantee you won't get published" linked to here. Doing a search here at least one AW member has published there. Preditors and Editors does not have a listing for them as either a magazine or a novel publisher, which is strange because it looks like Crossed Genres has been around for a couple years at least.

They pay an advance of $250 on novels, and then royalties once that's earned out. It looks like they only have a couple novel titles, and focus more on their magazine.

epicdave

Registered
Reaction score
New York (not the fun part, the upstate part)
Website
www.davidneuburger.com
Preditors and Editors does not have a listing for them as either a magazine or a novel publisher, which is strange because it looks like Crossed Genres has been around for a couple years at leas

yeah, I looked on Black Hole and Duotrope and didn't find much there either. Duotrope has apparently just made an entry for them so there's no data there at all.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I had a short story published with them earlier this year. They were prompt, friendly, and suggested excellent edits. If you don't mind the token payment, I'd recommend them.

As far as Duotrope goes, they've had an entry for the magazine up there for ages: http://www.duotrope.com/market_3141.aspx

The one for the novel department is indeed new: http://www.duotrope.com/market_5731.aspx

I'm afraid I have no experiences with them on that front, though.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I've been published in the magazine and their best of year anthology. They were prompt and professional. They visit conventions to sell stock, as well as on their website.

The novel side is more recent (previously, they only brought them to serialise for subscribers). I doubt you'd have issues getting paid or anything like that, but also don't expect major publisher levels of sales.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I see from their guidelines they are now accepting short story collections and paying an advance of $2,000.

Short stories in collections should be primarily unpublished--which makes them an exception to the usual rule, I think. But something I'll keep in mind. I've enjoyed the experience of being published with them before in the magazine.

There was some concern expressed elsewhere that they require exclusive submissions without having the chops to do so (that is, why wait for months on a reply from them when you could wait months on a reply from Tor or Ace instead?). I never simul-sub stories so I can't speak on that--although the $2,000 figure would make me forgive a lot. Although it does seem a big increase, especially as I don't know what sales are like (they've run multiple successful Kickstarters).

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Yeah, it looks like the $2000 advance is a recent change and that they are now accepting most genres other than their SF/fantasy wishes. I might try a thriller that has some fantasy cross in it. I have subbed three books to them in the past and they Rrd them all. They did respond fairly quickly to each submission, though.

tri

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
It was me who insinuated they don't have the chops for demanding exclusive submissions. As Triceretops said, that was before the new 2K advance. Now they sound perfect for anyone below agent level and above generic small epub level.

The world needs more small-yet-real advance-paying speculative pulp guys, like Ace used to be in the 1960's, but without the scamming and lying, hopefully. Good luck to Crossed Genres! Together with say Dark Fuse and Necro Press/Bedlam, they can cover the whole speculative continuum for today's mid-level toilers.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Have to say, having contributed tothe kickstarter and received a ton of free ebooks as a result, the stuff they're putting out is really good. If I had something appropriate I'd be on them in a flash.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
They don't specify if they take YA or not. But it looks like (from there covers) they have young MCs. I noticed one of the things they're looking for is "disabled MCs" which mine is mentally disabled and addicted to a fictional drug, but it's more mystery then anything and I don't know if they're into that yet. Looks like they mostly have Sci-fi and Fantasy though.

Some of their covers are really nice. I like their artwork.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Undercover, it couldn't hurt to try :). I actually subbed a YA at the end of June--haven't heard back yet, but I'll update when I do :).

I got a bit confused with the submission requirements on the form--there's an area for uploading the manuscript, but in the preceding paragraph it just says to send the first ten pages (which was what I did). We'll see...

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Ann. Yeah I just went ahead with submitting. I just sent the whole thing, was that bad? I hope not. I'll have to look at the guidelines again. I hope I didn't mess it up.

And at the end of June sounds like you're right in the heart of the submission, good luck with it!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Undercover! And good luck to you as well! :).

Just wondering if anyone who subbed a novel to them around June/July has heard back--I sent a gentle nudge at the end of the ninety days (a little over a week ago) and haven't gotten a response. Not sure if my e-mail went into that big cyber-heaven in the sky :).

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Tri! I'll hang tight :). And best of luck to you with your sub!

One quick question--did you send your entire manuscript, or just a query and ten pages? I only sent ten, and now I'm obsessing that I did the wrong thing (I'm very good at obsessing :)).

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a little over a month ago and haven't heard anything either. But that's really nothing AND I send my full ms. I could have done it wrong. I don't think the guidelines were really clear from what I remember. Unless that was a different one I'm thinking of.

So you said July right, Ann? That's only three months, which I know seems long, but it reall isn't in publishing time.

Oh, one thing to consider. If you're using Yahoo mail, your emails might not be going through. I had two accts go corrupt on me. And took me some time to figure out my emails weren't going through. So I had enough with Yahoo and switched to gmail and I couldn't be happier.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, Undercover! I'm always panicking about something or other, especially when it comes to subs. Great tip about the e-mail--I don't use yahoo, but I've had people tell me my e-mails haven't come through, so maybe it's time to switch...

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Thanks so much, Tri! I'll hang tight :). And best of luck to you with your sub!

One quick question--did you send your entire manuscript, or just a query and ten pages? I only sent ten, and now I'm obsessing that I did the wrong thing (I'm very good at obsessing :)).

My record shows that I sent the 10 pages.

tri

Kris Ashton

Lurking in the Shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kris-ashton.wix.com
I have just submitted something to Crossed Genres. One part of the revamped guidelines is a little confusing. This--

"Your personal contact information, including applicable credits, should be in the email’s body, along with the title and word count. Include a cover letter containing a detailed yet concise synopsis of your novel/collection, as well as the first ten (10) pages."

--seems to imply that you should send both an email and a cover letter as an attachment, which I thought was odd. So I simply wrote the cover letter in the body of the email and attached a synopsis and the first 10 pages of my MS. I received an acknowledgment of my submission, so they can't have been too upset with me!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I always paste my query and sample pages directly into the email unless it's explicitly stated to attach them as a particular kind of file.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
I always paste my query and sample pages directly into the email unless it's explicitly stated to attach them as a particular kind of file.

That's the way I work it. My query or synopsis page has all the contact info. At the end of the synopsis is my publishing history. I will attach chapters and fulls, unless otherwise stated. There have been a few who asked for chapters in the body of the email--but not many. It's also safe to put low-count sample pages in the email body.

tri

Marise

Registered
Reaction score
Crossed Genres magazine response time?

I submitted to Crossed Genres in early January. Their website says they reply by the end of the next month, but I haven't heard back from them yet. They also said to query if they don't respond, so I sent a query email. Still nothing.

I know they are reputable, so I am worried that something went wrong. (I do not have any emails from them in my spam folder, and I even set up a filter to send anything from them straight to my inbox).

Has anyone had this experience with them? I'm hoping they are just considering my story further, but I have no way of knowing.