• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cross Wind Agency (Anita Melograna)

linders

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten some interest in a manuscript from Anita Melograna at Cross Wind Agency. Has anyone here worked with Anita or Cross Wind Agency out of PA?

Thanks.
Linda

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not on any agency listing, legit or otherwise. Where did you find her?

linders

Registered
Reaction score
I saw the P&E note, but there's not explanation. That could mean anything, or nothing. I was referred by someone she represents. I don't find her listed with AAR and there is no website, save the website for Bill G. Thompson, an editor with whom she works. The contract looks fairly standard. I'd just like to know a little more.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/anita-melograna/5/a74/aa9

http://www.billthompsonediting.com/

Anita Melograna’s Summary

I work with William G. Thompson (editor Grisham, King) looking for new talent. We currently have 2 books optioned for moives. "Running Naked", a true story, and "Foretold", an eco-thriller about Yucca Mountain.

In addition, I help mortgage companies increase sales. I provide consumer specialty lists, marketing pieces, printing, and more.
Anita Melograna’s Specialties:

I have spent over 30 years in marketing and sales , including my own computer network company for over 12 years.

Anita Melograna’s Experience

Owner
Direct Mail Marketing

(Marketing and Advertising industry)

Currently holds this position
Literary Agent
Cross Wind Agency

(Marketing and Advertising industry)

September 2008 — Present (10 months)

Data communications
AT&T

(Public Company; Marketing and Advertising industry)

1973 — 1984 (11 years)

Gungadind

Banned
Reaction score
I've gotten some interest in a manuscript from Anita Melograna at Cross Wind Agency. Has anyone here worked with Anita or Cross Wind Agency out of PA?

Thanks.
Linda

I know them. They are a new agency. Melograna works with william G. Thompson - Stephen King and John Grisham's editor. If your script passed through William G. Thompson you are lucky..he turns down just about everything.

Gungadind

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, Gungadind --

If I may be so bold, who are you, and what (if any) is your connection with Ms. Melograna and/or Mr. Thompson?

Bill T edited by book "Running Naked" about 18 months ago. After working with a very nice, experienced agent from NYC, I self published it because it was being misrepresented as to it's genre and then Ms. Melograna was instrumental in getting me a movie option. The movie is listed on the director's web site, www.joannjansen.com under biography. Ms. Melograna is now my agent. Her enthusiasm and marketing experience more than make up for the newness of this particular industry.

Gungadind

Banned
Reaction score
if you email info@billthompsonediting Ms. Melograna will repsond to you. She filters the incoming submissions.

linders

Registered
Reaction score
I know them. They are a new agency. Melograna works with william G. Thompson - Stephen King and John Grisham's editor. If your script passed through William G. Thompson you are lucky..he turns down just about everything.

I didn't submit through Mr. Thompson. I was given a referral and submitted directly to Anita. I'm considering the contract, but just don't know much about the agency. Trying to do my homework first :)

Thanks.

Linda

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Linda, to have the best chance of selling your manuscript, you need an agent with proven expertise (i.e., a track record of selling books like yours to the kind of publishers you'd like to be published by) or, with a new agent, someone who has worked for a commercial publisher or for a reputable agency. Agents need specialized skills and knowledge, as well as contacts within publishing, and since there are no schools or accreditation programs for agents, the best way to get these is to actually work in the industry. People who come to agenting from non-publishing-related fields rarely manage to make a go of it.

To date, it doesn't appear that Ms. Melograna has made any sales to publishers; her only verifiable credit is an option on a self-published book to a choreographer and acting coach with a somewhat scanty producing and directing resume (I checked Ms. Jansen's website). There's also no evidence that she had any professional publishing or agenting background before setting up her agency. Bill Thompson's website doesn't mention or acknowledge her.

- Victoria

linders

Registered
Reaction score
Cross Wind Agency

Linda, to have the best chance of selling your manuscript, you need an agent with proven expertise (i.e., a track record of selling books like yours to the kind of publishers you'd like to be published by) or, with a new agent, someone who has worked for a commercial publisher or for a reputable agency. Agents need specialized skills and knowledge, as well as contacts within publishing, and since there are no schools or accreditation programs for agents, the best way to get these is to actually work in the industry. People who come to agenting from non-publishing-related fields rarely manage to make a go of it.

To date, it doesn't appear that Ms. Melograna has made any sales to publishers; her only verifiable credit is an option on a self-published book to a choreographer and acting coach with a somewhat scanty producing and directing resume (I checked Ms. Jansen's website). There's also no evidence that she had any professional publishing or agenting background before setting up her agency. Bill Thompson's website doesn't mention or acknowledge her.

- Victoria

Thanks, Victoria. As I'd said, I'm in the information gathering stage of checking things out. Of course, in the end, I have to trust my instincts, but I appreciate the feedback of those with perhaps more or different experiences in this business. In some ways, it's like hiring a nanny. You want to be absolutely sure about the person to whom you're handing over your baby.

pen

Registered
Reaction score
BEWARE: Anita Melograna and Bill Thompson preyed on a writer I know. The writer asked me to delete the details, but the two of them talked this writer out of a lot of money with lies and then Thompson strung the writer a long until the check(s) (plural) cleared---then he turned MEAN in addition to not doing anything.

ADVICE: Assume people who are trying to get money from you are lying until proven otherwise. Always treat an editor like a handyman---make small payments in increments of work, that way if things go from "you are so wonderful" to "you are #$%#," you are only out some of your money. And ALWAYS ask for references---from three people who have been edited recently, not forty years ago. Ask to see the PUBLISHED works that he edited---again, this decade would be good. And make sure it's in an area in which you write.

Last edited:

ChrisBroyhill

Registered
Reaction score
Bill Thompson and Anita Melograna Don't Deserve the Words Above

One of the few downsides to free speech and internet access through forums like this one is that people can slander others with no consequences for their malicious, untruthful and irresponsible words. Bill Thompson is exactly who he says he is and I have used his services to critique my first novel. His comments and recommendations were spot on and my publisher actually used one of Bill's comments about my writing on the cover of my novel (www.chrisbroyhillbooks.com). Getting Bill T to review/critique my book was one of the best investments I've ever made in my writing.

The issue people have with Bill T is that he considers his time valuable and won't critique writing that is below a certain standard. Those with large egos, thin skins and little talent have difficulty accepting the fact that he won't review their work and by the way, he reads a sample of a writer's work at no cost before he accepts an editing job. I love to write but writers are a lot like the contestants on American Idol. There are many who think they have talent and very few who actually do.

As for Anita Melograna - she's my agent and has done a FANTASTIC job on my behalf. I met her through Bill T's website and we've been partners in my writing journey ever since. She got me published and got me a screen treatment contract as well.

If you're interested in the truth about these two upstanding individuals, send me an email at [email protected] and ignore the ramblings of the malcontent(s) above.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but has Yog's law been tossed out? I don't understand the publishing model being discussed in this thread.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Chris. I checked out your book on Amazon. I must say I really liked the cover. But I mostly went to see what publishing company this agent sold your MS to, since your sales numbers on Amazon aren't exactly stratospheric.

After checking out the website for Brighton Publishing LLC, I can't say I'm convinced your agent has done you much of a favor. The site is heavily geared toward writers rather than readers, which is generally a red flag. They appear to expect non-agented submissions, and submissions that writers are having trouble placing. ETA: link to the AW discussion on Brighton: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188120

Your book, on the other hand, seems a good fit as a mainstream military thriller that may have had a chance with a more established publisher. I'd be very curious to know how many publishers your agent submitted to, and what their feedback was. Can you tell us a little about that?

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
As for Anita Melograna - she's my agent and has done a FANTASTIC job on my behalf. I met her through Bill T's website and we've been partners in my writing journey ever since. She got me published and got me a screen treatment contract as well.

Was she able to secure you a reasonable advance and marketing budget from your publisher?