Critique Circle

editing_for_authors
Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

divine-intestine

Hardened drinker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I registered on Critique Circle a few years ago, but I never really liked it. The site is too bloated for my liking and the queue system did my head in.

Freya Yuki

Registered
Reaction score
Website
freya-yuki.blogspot.com
I'm on Critique Circle. I've found it helpful. Also, for the womenfolks, I appreciate that CC has a block function that actually blocks.

TL;DR thank you for being cool, Critique Circle.

I've also found Critique Circle helpful. Haven't used its block function yet.

You're right guys.

The good thing on CC:
* You can put the whole chapter there at once

The bad thing on CC:
* You must wait for your turn. (Don't ask. Those, who have experience on CC, they can explain.)

Yeah, I like CC and don't mind the wait if it's just like a week, but sometimes you end up having to wait for two or more weeks before your work gets critiqued. I wish more stories could be in the queue and/or that everyone could get a free pass even if it costs a lot of credits.

I registered on Critique Circle a few years ago, but I never really liked it. The site is too bloated for my liking and the queue system did my head in.

One of the only things I don't like about CC is having to wait weeks before your story can be critiqued. Sometimes, you'll have to submit stories months ahead of time because all the slots fill up so fast.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sometimes CritiqueCircle is a month's wait. Scribophile is probably about ten days, and shorter if you've joined groups.

Joining groups might be the way to go for CritiqueCircle, too, to get more people reading your submission before it's up in the queue.

Frenzy3

Registered
Reaction score
I've been using Cc and scrib. I prefer cc better content, friendly people.

LucindaLynx

Registered
Reaction score
The thing I do like about it is that people critiquing can't see the other comments so there's less worry about any 'bandwagon' effect and when each person points something out, it's definitely something that needs fixing.
Well, things have changed a bit. Now the writer can see all the feedback at once. She can see A's, B's and C's feedback at the same time. It has its good sides. One can see one's problems quite well, if two or more says about the same thing.
Best,
Lucinda

Lee McClellan

Registered
Reaction score
I poked around, without actually signing up ( try not to be on 1,000 different sites ), on Critique Circle. Seems doable, but could anyone provide a little more info on how the credits?

I am almost happy to critique and/or BetaRead. But if my novel is a 140k Epic Fantasy could you give me any indication how well that might work on CC? Would I need to critique 1400k words to have enough credits? Or more?

Would I have to break my novel into tiny bits, each with 2-4 weeks wait time in-between?

Quite curious. Would love any insights.

Thanks as always,
Lee.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Your view on how it works fits my limited experience... a lot of critiquing up front, each batch of which is on a weekly schedule, then you go in the queue, then your piece is up for crit.

I was quite put off by the critique I received, I think it was 2017, and I doubt I will ever tire of sharing this story. I was critiqued (attacked) for using apostrophes in my character names. You know, like the name D'Artagnan. The critique said: "Who do you think you are? Tolkien?" That reviewer then said, "If you want to learn to write, go to my website and buy my book on how to write."

If I had been more seasoned at the time, I might have found humor in it, which I do now, but back then I simply deleted my account and found more helpful feedback elsewhere.

I doubt all critiquers there are quite so pathetic.