Critique Circle #1 (North American-centric; 9PM Central; Last Monday of the Month)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Interested. I'm PST, but I don't work, so it's easy for me to fit any schedule. Most of my readers basically fell off the side of the Earth recently, so it'd be nice to get some feedback on a regular basis again.
Sharing e-mail fine.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'd love to join!

Level: Intermediate, unpublished.

I live in China. Have time from 8:00PM to 5:00 AM (based on AW's time zone, BTW)

MissAimee

A wannabe writer who lives in a land of confusion
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to, but my schdule is out there.. I might be able to make it, and like Cella said, it will be a great motivator..Beginner, Arizona time (it changes depending if it's fall or summer, email is fine.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
This is how I envision it working, though it would probably change/get modified as things went along:

1. At least a week before our monthly meeting, whoever was being crit would send the pages to me as an .rtf file.
2. I would in turn send it out to everyone participating.
3. Over the course of that week, everyone who was not the author would read the pages, prepare their thoughts and comments, and assemble in the chat room.
4. When we got together, we'd begin at some arbitrary point and go around the virtual room, offering our feedback to the author.
5. Because we're such a large group, we'd have to set a time limit to the meetings and probably wouldn't get through everyone. (This does not mean you should not come prepared; everyone who participates will be expected to have read the pages being critiqued and be prepared to offer feedback on them.)
5a. As for the time limit, I'd say 1.0 to 1.5 hours to go around the room plus an additional 30 minutes for the author to ask for clarification or their own questions if points they were wondering about were not addressed.
6. Those who had not given their feedback could later e-mail their comments to the author.

I say there's enough interest to make a go of this, so those of you who are interested, go ahead and start sending me your e-mail addresses at lori(at)royell(dot)org. I'll work on finding a good time for the majority of people. I can tell you I'm unavailable Tuesday or Thursday and would rather not do it on Saturday.

I already have one fellow mod who's volunteered to assist and he'd better believe I'm taking him up on that.

As already mentioned, we may end up having to split into smaller groups, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. I've never been able to participate in a crit group before so I'd like to try it. My only problem is schedule. I may not know in advance if I'll be able to get on-line, but I'll try.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested, but I don't know that I have crit-able novel pages yet. I have a couple of first drafts, with plot/structure issues, and I'm wrestling with how to get them to the next level. (Stringing words together, up to scenes & possibly/recently short stories, I think I can do pretty well. At the novel level, I'm still floundering.) So I don't know where that would leave me in terms of participating. But then, I've really been enjoying writing/reading/critting in the SFF Secret Santa we just did, so I'd like to continue to be involved in something like that...

Email is fine; I work weekdays & have committments Wednesday night & most of the day/evening Sunday. (CST)

Penzil

Penzil
Registered
Reaction score
Critiques or not?

I find 'Critique groups' demoralising. They stunt my writing for a week or so afterwards. I joined a local writers' group here in Birmingham UK, and I got tired of the 'mutual admiration' attitudes of some. I also found that the members were far from adventurous in their outlook, and because I wrote about murder and mayhem, I was treated somewhat like a leper.

But the paradox is, I can't get enough of them. :D

I suppose if I really wanted know how bad my writing is, I'd contact an agent and if they agree, send in a manuscript. But until I think my stuff is good enough I waive that! Am I mad or am I mad?

:Shrug:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Plugging in times and availability into a spreadsheet, I'm going to call 9:00PM Central (10:00PM Eastern) on the last Monday of the month (January 25th) as our first meeting.

I have e-mail addresses for K. Taylor, EclipsesMuse, Exir, Sheadakota, and Namatu. I hope this time works for you five. Everyone else who is still in needs to get their e-mail address to me.

Also, any volunteers to be first in the hotseat?

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
I may be about 20 minutes late, but otherwise it works.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
10 pm on a school night? Man, I'm going to be tired for that early morning gym class, but we suffer for our art, right? Even if it's just with flabby thighs.

Seconds the tentative raising of the hand.

CloudyDay

Out of here
Registered
Reaction score
What genres are you doing in the group?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
10 pm on a school night? Man, I'm going to be tired for that early morning gym class, but we suffer for our art, right? Even if it's just with flabby thighs.

Seconds the tentative raising of the hand.

That's when it starts. Remember, you need to budget 1.5-2.0 hours for this.

(I just went by the times you people gave me.)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
now, if I can only get the chat function to work, LOL! :D

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
questions:
-is there gong to be a set format that we'll follow when critting work?

-Or will it depend on what the author is looking for?

-Or, will we just share whatever thoughts we had?

Personally, I could use some kind of guidelines that I can follow, since I'm new to critting.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Sounds like a groovy idea. Unfortunately, due to being on the bottom of the world and such i probably won't be able to join in. But i hope it goes well! :)

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Love the idea. I can probably make the timing. Other than when I am travelling, and I would notify in advance for that.

I have a first draft done, but I am reworking it from scrap and am at page 1 of the rewrite. Birol how does that effect my involvement.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
What's the password for the chat room. Never been there before.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Ah bummer. I can't do it this time around since that ends up too late for me.

Best of luck! I hope it goes well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.