• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Crew Publishing

AppleTree76

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

If anyone can help me with this, please go right ahead, give me what you got!:

Has anyone heard of Canada Book Publisher.Com?

They like my writing, say I have real talent, I show rather than tell, but they are offering to proofread my manuscript-(I have had this done already by a reputable manuscript editor). They are a print-on-demand publisher, however unlike most they offer editing services, etc among other things. They only offer to the market place high quality work. Should I go for it? I've been querying agents upon agents but to no avail, I have yet to find one after several partial submissions, one full...I could do this and still secure an agent later couldn't I? I need some advice on this one. Help you guys!!!!!

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Hi Apple. This is the wrong forum for this post. I'll send it over to the right one. But while over there, please check the stickied thread "INDEX TO AGENTS, PUBLISHERS AND OTHERS."

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Do you want to self-publish and self-market your work? Or do you want to be published by a major publishing house?

Seriously, you're just parroting their press release here. Of course they say they "only offer to the market place high quality work." What else are they going to say?

A look at their website shows amateurish cover design. The fact that they're soliciting writers all over the Internet like crazy indicates that they're hardly some kind of super-selective organization.

If you want to self-publish, then publish your book yourself. At least that way, you have control over the final product, and you get to keep all the profits yourself.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
I spoke with and emailed Crew's owner when he began the company.
I seriously considered going with them because I had a trilogy completed (two all ready out via POD). Crew was very interested in these books, especially since it was a start up company and needed books for its catalogue.
Crew's contract is posted online. I haven't read it recently, however, as I read the contract then, it seemed very straight forward.
Now here is what I learned. I employed a lawyer (US) who specializes in book contracts. I sent him to the website and after two weeks he got back to me. His advice was not to go with Crew. His main objection was the costs incurred by a US costumer in regards to customs, shipping and the slanted royalty agreement which (at the time) was very quirky.

Now if you are a Canadian these impediments may not apply.
I'd offer the analysis to members here but it was done over a year ago and may, as I implied, be out of date.
If you are a US citizen and if you are serious about going with Crew, I would have Crew's current contract looked at by an attorney.
C

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
AppleTree76, whilst there's nothing wrong with self-publishing, it's something that you really need to give a great deal of thought to, not least because with self-publishing it's you who sells the books, not the publisher.

AppleTree76:
They like my writing, say I have real talent, I show rather than tell, but they are offering to proofread my manuscript-(I have had this done already by a reputable manuscript editor).

I'm not sure what you mean by "proof-read". Any publishing company would have an editor look at your manuscript and request changes/amendments. That's not "proof-reading", it's part of the standard editing procedure and it goes beyond just checking punctuation. Have they asked you for money for this proof-reading service?

I'd definitely be wary of any proof-reading being offered by Crew Publishing based on the typographical and grammatical errors on their website alone. There are also a number of other red flags on their website:

Crew Publishing:
The titles we market are truly good books and we can sell them without blushing. High quality standards give us access to bookstores.

Typical weasle wording - "access to bookstores" is not the same as being able to put your books in bookstores.

Crew Publishing:
In 2008 we will start sending catalogues semi-annually to bookstores nationwide as well as key online retailers.

That's nice, but unless bookstores actually agree to stock those books, it doesn't help the author.

Crew Publishing:
Royalty; the cost per copy will determine the royalty scale. You need to be aware of the 'royalty schemes' that offer up to 100% royalty. Perhaps 100% of net sounds enticing, but if your publisher charges a production cost that represents 85% of cover price, plus shipping and handling, then that 100% royalty is really a pittance and a sham.

I note that they don't specify what their royalty rates are and to be honest, I'm not clear from this whether they're saying they pay royalty on gross price or on net.

Crew Publishing:
Crew Publishing is staffed by writers, editors, and is associated with the highly reputable printing houses.

Who are these writers? Have they been published? Who has published them? Who are the editors? Where did they get their experience from? Which "highly reputable printing houses" is the company associated with and what does "associated" mean in this context?

Frankly, it all looks like meaningless puff.

Crew Publishing:

Trade Publisher:

Cons; They have to invest a great deal of capital in a book and thus need to sell around 4000 copies to break even on their investment. This makes taking on new authors a daunting task, since they cannot be sure they will recover their investment.

I'd love to know where they got the 4,000 figure from and it's so boring to see the whole line about publishers not wanting to take on new authors trotted out again. "Trade publishers" take risks on authors they think will sell because they've written good books and they work to put those books in stores so that they can maximise those sales and make money.

Crew Publishing:
Publish On Demand (POD) Publisher:

Cons; The only real setback to this model is ineffective marketing. In many cases, the publisher is not selective, so a lot of books that shouldn't be published, are being put together anyway. This is a red flag to consumers and retailers alike.

Bollocks. The biggest setback to the POD model is the fact that it doesn't put books in bookstores, which means that sales tend to be restricted to speciality audiences or whoever the author can directly reach.

Personally, I think you're better off giving these guys a wide berth. Concentrate on writing your next manuscript and getting it accepted by an advance paying publisher.

MM

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Per P&E.

Crew Publishing: A vanity publisher located in Canada.

Momento Mori asks...

Who are the editors?

One of them is Roxanne Christ. She is this publisher’s email contact and has a thread here in AW.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1979085&highlight=Authorhouse#post1979085

Here’s another link about her. The featured book was published by Authorhouse as were the next seven on the list. (I didn’t bother checking on the ghostwritten book.) Note that her "Dear Author" letter matches the "Editor" page for Crew Publishing.

http://www.1steditor.biz/page2.html

If you are serious about your writing career, then leave your current manuscript alone for some time. Write another better book and keep honing your skills. Vanity publishing will not advance your career.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
brianm - damn, you are good!

In terms of the testimonials for Roxanne Christ's editing services a quick look on Amazon only turned up books for Lawrence M. Miller (Authorhouse), Harry Anastasiou (Ooligan Press - apparently a university-run publisher), Janis Khatibi (Authorhouse), David Ambrose (Revolution Mind Publishing), D.J. Loomis (Authorhouse) and Saba Shofany (Authorhouse). Authorhouse is a vanity press, and so it isn't a great testament to her editing experience.

MM

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Crew Publishing:
Publish On Demand (POD) Publisher:

Cons; The only real setback to this model is ineffective marketing. In many cases, the publisher is not selective, so a lot of books that shouldn't be published, are being put together anyway. This is a red flag to consumers and retailers alike.
Look at it this way; anyone who has to justify their existence is selling little more than woo - something POD and vanity presses excel at.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone, as is Crew's listing on Ms. Christ's "resource" page. Google's last cache (of Mar '08) infers there was a change of ownership.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Crew went belly up. It was "acquired", broken up and sold to another POD company located in Victoria, BC.
C