• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Crescent Moon Press

GothicKnight

Registered
Reaction score
Is it normal for a publisher to not pay royalties until two quarters later?

Not in my experience, no. CMP tried to change the conditions of the contract. The authors were informed via the publisher's yahoo group, not by individual email. I had to find out about it secondhand. When I called them on it they got angry. They're still not talking to me because of it.

Not a great publisher to work with.

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is it normal for a publisher to not pay royalties until two quarters later?

Also, how long does it usually take a publisher to upload e-books to Barnes & Noble?

Just wondering...

When it comes to third party payments there is some delay depending on when the publisher is paid, and when their next schedules payout to authors occurs.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
For the record, according to info from various publishers, B&N is having issues with their new interface. It's really primarily geared to self publishers, not indie presses. Also, Microsoft has purchased the Nook platform and the website that used to be PubIt--the former incarnation of the uploading platform. The recently launched new platform has a lot of problems.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know if this publisher acknowledges receipt of queries? I never got one and have now had an offer on the book I queried. I've e-mailed them to let them know and haven't yet received a reply, but it was only yesterday so maybe it'll take a while?

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Does anybody know if this publisher acknowledges receipt of queries? I never got one and have now had an offer on the book I queried. I've e-mailed them to let them know and haven't yet received a reply, but it was only yesterday so maybe it'll take a while?

I wouldn't worry about informing them unless they have a partial or full manuscript of yours. If they request something, you can tell them you accepted another offer already. If you're trying to get a response from them or a counter-offer, there's no telling what the time-frame would be on that.

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I went back to look at my submission. Yeah, it was a 'paste your first ten pages into the body of e-mail'. Like I said, never got an acknowledgement which I am used to receiving with subs, but if that's not the way they operate...

I thought it polite to tell them I've received another offer. If they then requested partial or full, I would think about it. But besides a possible counter-offer, I didn't want them to come back to me in 3 months time re a partial/full and then get annoyed because I hadn't informed them of the offer. That was my motivation for the e-mail. I may want to sub to them in the future so best to do what seems right. :)

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely: "...to inform you the manuscript is no longer available. Best of luck with everything, hope to work together in the future.
Best regards..."

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons for that warning on P&E. Heed it.

I'm curious about those reasons. Can you elaborate? I haven't found anything online like writers complaining in their blogs, though they may exist somewhere beyond the reach of my Google skills.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please be advised this is my opinion only, but that it appears no one dares to elaborate or go into details for fear of repercussions. However, I hereby retract my earlier approval of this publisher.

Last edited:

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Please be advised this is my opinion only, but that it appears no one dares to elaborate or go into details for fear of repercussions. However, I hereby retract my earlier approval of this publisher.

Aren't you published by them?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've received a number of documented complaints about Crescent Moon, including late royalty payments and statements, abrupt changes in payment protocols, and implementation of a new royalty payout threshold that did not match the provisions of some authors' contracts. Some authors also reported formatting and other problems in finished books.

I've also heard from Crescent Moon's owners with alternative explanations of these issues.

I've seen enough to convince me that there are some problems here--though not exactly the problems some of the authors were most angry about (by my analysis, CM was within its contractual rights in the payment protocol changes it made). And I had intended to include Crescent Moon in a roundup blog post about recent small press storm warnings. That changed, however, when some unhappy CM authors apparently tried to use my interest in the situation as leverage with CM, and loyalist CM authors went to the owners to tattle on the authors who were siccing Writer Beware on their publisher. The result was an email from the owners asking me not to publish anything.

I'd planned to contact the owners anyway. But I don't appreciate being put in the middle of the internal drama (which seems to be so unfortunately common at troubled small presses--the malcontents vs. the loyalists vs the owners), or having Writer Beware used without my knowledge or permission as a threat. My distaste at the situation--as well as the fact that I don't think the problems at CM rise to the level of the other small presses I've written about and/or investigated recently--has nixed the blog post--though I still think CM merits a caution if anyone asks me.

- Victoria

GothicKnight

Registered
Reaction score
Avoid this publisher like the plague. Lousy contract--which changes at their whim--no communications, royalties sent whenever they feel like it, lousy editing, no proofing. They're very nonchalant about the whole thing. I cannot say it enough: Avoid them!

turtledinosaur

Registered
Reaction score
The email that was sent mentioned this: "the time has come to
move on with alternate endeavors." That's the only explanation given. Other authors (not me) received emails that mentioned the word "dormant", so it's all about as clear as mud.