• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Crescent Moon Press

writer1709

Registered
Reaction score
This is in no way disrespecting Crescent Moon but the prices on their ebooks are quite high for being an independent publisher. Same with their paper books.

I've also found out from a friend of mine who is published with them that they give you ecopies of your book only, no actual paper copies.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
This is in no way disrespecting Crescent Moon but the prices on their ebooks are quite high for being an independent publisher. Same with their paper books.

I've also found out from a friend of mine who is published with them that they give you ecopies of your book only, no actual paper copies.

POD books are often, I find, more expensive than mass market paperbacks.

Generally, the number of "hard" copies of a book an author will receive upon publication is negotiated into the publishing contract. It's not an automatic benefit of publication.

writer1709

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know they were POD, thank you for the responses it helped.

But I still think their ebook prices are a bit high for an indie publisher

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Thanks for letting us know!

It's pretty common to receive at least some hard copies of the book. After all, how much would this generally cost a publisher? $20?

This is a red flag to me.

GothicKnight

Registered
Reaction score
Wild Child wants you to hit a certain sales number first before they even entertain the idea of going to print. Depending on the contract you sign it's either 75 copies sold or 200. What's irritating about them is they won't even go POD. That doesn't make sense to me.

Rapunzel99

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth....I bought a paperback published by Crescent Moon Press. It is The Never Prayer by Aaron Michael Ritchey, published February 2012. So, it looks like Crescent Moon Press does print copies in addtion to eBooks. It was reasonably priced at $14.95 and not a bad read. It is YA and nicely done.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I also bought a paperback book from them - SHADOW OF TIAMAT by Sean Poindexter. Haven't read it yet, but the binding is good and cover art and layout are excellent. You can see it here. I don't know about their editing process or marketing. I got a rejection from them and ended up getting a better deal with a bigger publisher.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
That post was from a year ago (October 2011); it would be interesting to find out whether either company has revised their contract since then to address the concerns referenced at that link.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That article is actually almost a year old. I even read it before I signed with CMP. It didn't stop me from signing and I'm very glad I did. CMP has been an awesome group to work with and I'm very happy with them.

Vanessak

Registered
Reaction score
To me that is a minor contract issue. If someone makes a lot of money stealing your book you will want to hire your own lawyer anyway. If they don't make any money off of it it's a waste of time.

GothicKnight

Registered
Reaction score
They're kind of a mixed bag. They're friendly and personable and I don't doubt their intentions. Their ability to deliver, on the other hand, is somewhat dubious.

Editing was so-so. I intentionally left in 2 instances of clear-cut authorial intrusion and the editor did not catch them. Also, there was a pretty big continuity error toward the end of the manuscript (present because the publisher had me make changes to one of the characters) and the editor missed that as well. I caught it in my last read-through and I'm relieved I did.

When I received my 5 ecopies of the book there was a major error on the copyright page. The name of the novel was printed incorrectly, and in bold type, no less. Took about 3 weeks after I contacted them about it to have it fixed. Thank God the printed edition did not contain the error.

I've heard from other CMP authors that they've experienced similar problems.

On the other hand, with the errors corrected the print and ebook editions look fantastic. I just wish it hadn't been up to me to find them.

turtledinosaur

Registered
Reaction score
Is it normal for a publisher to not pay royalties until two quarters later?

Also, how long does it usually take a publisher to upload e-books to Barnes & Noble?

Just wondering...

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Is it normal for a publisher to not pay royalties until two quarters later?

Also, how long does it usually take a publisher to upload e-books to Barnes & Noble?

Just wondering...

I'm not a Crescent Moon author, but I am published by another e-first publisher.

If you have a contract with CM, what does the contract say with regard to payment? That's by when you should be paid.

Generally, I've seen publishers pay quarterly and monthly, usually for monies collected in the previous quarter or month. (Keeping in mind that vendors may only pay publisher's quarterly.)

As for B&N...it's sometimes anyone's guess. I had a novel come out in Nov. It was up on ARe and Amazon promptly (within 24 hours), but it took B&N a full month to put it up, even though the publisher uploaded the same day as the other vendors.